Prices of english coins in the uk

4 posts
I found in the junk bin of my coin collector a 1927 silver sixpence, and i was wondering the average prices of those in the uk. In canada, a fair coin dealer sells every silver dime for 1 dollar, a silver quarter for 2.50 and a half for 6. How does that work out in the uk?
It will obviously depend upon the grade but Tony Clayton's website is normally not far off the mark:
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
Quote: "radrick007"​It will obviously depend upon the grade but Tony Clayton's website is normally not far off the mark:
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
I find that by simply converting pounds to dollars I get a reasonably accurate value. There are exceptions though and it's only a ballpark estimate so please don't use it as the basis of any buying strategy.

Does he still update it Rick?​
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Quote: "pnightingale"
​I find that by simply converting pounds to dollars I get a reasonably accurate value. There are exceptions though and it's only a ballpark estimate so please don't use it as the basis of any buying strategy.

​Does he still update it Rick?​
​Good question Phil, I'm not sure. It's been quite a while since I last emailed Tony and I have to say I am not a frequent visitor to his site. Let's take a look at a few prices for the 1927 sixpences:

Tony Clayton: KM#828 - VF £2; EF £10; UNC £35 : KM#832 (Proof only) - EF £10; UNC £35
Coin Yearbook (2013): KM#828 - VF £2; EF £10; UNC £30 : KM#832 (Proof only) - VF £2; EF £10; UNC £35
Spink (2017): Sp#4034 - VF £3; EF £25; UNC £55 : Sp#4040 (Proof only) - FDC £50
NGC (Krause) - VF $4; XF $22; MS60 $40 : KM#832 (Proof only) - Proof $40

So who is right and who is wrong? I wouldn't like to say but perhaps a reasonable guide on what prices these coins are achieving would be to check sold listings on feeBay, ignoring the odd one where the buyer has got carried away, the rest of the sales should show a pattern of what buyers are prepared to pay.

@Ilan-03, hope this helps a little?
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 22:43.