Coin Album Pages

23 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I recently purchased these coin pages: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-pages-Classic-Schulz-Ligthouse-coins-albums-12-20-30-slots-Free-delivery-/162514627006 , and after doing research on the internet, I found no helpful information as to the composition of the product. I have contacted the seller, MB-Numis, and they have provided no helpful information. My worry is that it contains PVC, which of course ruins coins. In addition, I received an album made of Oriented Polypropylene (OPP). Is OPP suitable for coins? I intend to use both of these products for long-term or permanent storage. Thank you in advance to anyone who replies.

Update: The album pages (from the link) have arrived and is of the brand: kolekcjoner. Does anyone know anything about this brand? Do they use PVC?

Update: The seller tells me it is made of "clear plastic foil".
Hello,

The coin pages or pages in albums don't always harm the coins if it is made up of PVC.
Of course it does ruins coins which overtime for oxides upon the coins.
It do have a little advantage it protects the coins from excess reaction in the heat or in open air affecting the coins and coppers always have a dark kind of patina reacted in the oxygen and also it forms oxides which can be removed but some foul smell and awful damage.
Unfortunately PVC will affect your coins if you store them over time.
https://www.thespruce.com/pvc-damage-on-coins-768300

I have kept some common coins and coppers in my albums, so far no damage.

OPP is suitable for coins which will not ruin your coins which do have some sort of nice protection.
Are you going to put the coins directly in the pages, or put them inside Cardboard Coin Holders (like these: http://www.jpscorner.com/cardboard-coin-holders.html) first?
Quote: "FacundoEche"​Are you going to put the coins directly in the pages, or put them inside Cardboard Coin Holders (like these: http://www.jpscorner.com/cardboard-coin-holders.html) first?
​I am putting them in directly.
There are, indeed, coin pages that are designed specifically to put coins directly in. If the pages are made by a reputable company such as Lighthouse/Leuchtturm, then there should be no problem. I do have some of those pages; they are rather expensive, but when you hold them you can "feel" the quality of the plastic.

Some made-in-China/Hong Kong/Taiwan pages will fit lighthouse albums, but I wouldn't trust them. They are sold at low price, which tells you they are of low quality.

In your case, if you search for Schulz on the Leuchtturm website (i.e. the German "mother" site) it is clear that Schulz is a Leuchtturm brand, so I would trust them. Wasn't there any information on the envelope in which they came?
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
I've heard that PVC albums feel soft and don't crease, but this album feels less soft, makes a crinkling sound when bent and have visible lines when folded. Additionally, a small cutting found that the plastic doesn't float, but when burned creates a yellow flame with a small hint of blue at the bottom (perhaps from the match used). Any thoughts?
PVC is, indeed, added to plastics in order to make them soft. But that doesn't mean that all soft plastics contain PVC.

Again, if those pages are of the brand name Schultz/Leuchtturm, which is specialized in numismatic supplies and is a reputable company, they should be trusted. Few of us know the chemistry of plastic. The pages I bought were from Unisafe, which is a trustworthy company specialized in numismatic supplies as well. If it so happens that those companies have (some of) their products made in China, they no doubt do so only under their own strict guidelines because they have a reputation to protect. This is very different from some obscure Chinese or Indian company that would produce similar pages and albums on the cheap.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
I have been using BCW pages. They were good enough for my baseball / hockey cards...

Anyway, I also have been using post-bound photo albums for my coins rather than ring-type binders. I find they hold the pages better. You can't put as many pages as you can in the ring binders, but I like them.

If you have a Hobby Lobby / similar craft store, you can get those for $7.50 each when they're on sale. They make extension posts so you can put more pages in.

Hope this is helpful.
C. Scott Stewart
Charlestown, IN, USA
Update:
The "OPP" album arrived (it says "World Coin Stock" and multiple Chinese characters) and I kept the coins in it for a day until I realised it smelled like shower curtains (a bit of a giveaway for PVC). I tested it: it sank in water and burned with a green flame. At this point, I removed all of the coins, storing them for a day in a box until now, when I decided to clean them for PVC. I submersed them in a small bowl of acetone for 24 seconds before removing them to air-dry. Due to limited acetone, I couldn't change the acetone each time. Do I need to do anything more to prevent PVC damage?
I never buy anything sold in that part of the world (China, Hong Kong, etc.) and what you say confirms my suspicions. It also reminds me of the first album I purchased for my Canadian 1¢. It was cheap and smelled like a shower curtain and my brilliant uncirculated cents turned an ugly colour (I didn't know about PVC back then). Fortunately, that was not a big loss since those pennies were worth perhaps $1 at most for the most expensive one.
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic63540.html#p517521
Quote: "css73"​​If you have a Hobby Lobby / similar craft store, you can get those for $7.50 each when they're on sale.

​Hope this is helpful.
​Hobby Lobby always has a 50% off any one item coupon also, you can just print it out and bring it in.
Quote: "Camerinvs"​There are, indeed, coin pages that are designed specifically to put coins directly in. If the pages are made by a reputable company such as Lighthouse/Leuchtturm, then there should be no problem. I do have some of those pages; they are rather expensive, but when you hold them you can "feel" the quality of the plastic.

​Some made-in-China/Hong Kong/Taiwan pages will fit lighthouse albums, but I wouldn't trust them. They are sold at low price, which tells you they are of low quality.

​In your case, if you search for Schulz on the Leuchtturm website (i.e. the German "mother" site) it is clear that Schulz is a Leuchtturm brand, so I would trust them. Wasn't there any information on the envelope in which they came?
Sorry to ask 3 years and 7 months later are BCW coin pages appropriate for storing coins because most of the ones in the U.K. are from ​PR China and most likely contain PVC. So as well as BCW can you recommend any other brands? But with some conditions firstly non PVC and each page can hold 2x2s and 20 coins on each page.
Hi to whoever is reading this. Did you know that TYPEWRITER (on a QWERTY keyboard) is the longest word you can type using only the letters on one row of the keyboard.
Quote: "CartwheelerOz"​I recently purchased these coin pages: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-pages-Classic-Schulz-Ligthouse-coins-albums-12-20-30-slots-Free-delivery-/162514627006 , and after doing research on the internet, I found no helpful information as to the composition of the product. I have contacted the seller, MB-Numis, and they have provided no helpful information. My worry is that it contains PVC, which of course ruins coins. In addition, I received an album made of Oriented Polypropylene (OPP). Is OPP suitable for coins? I intend to use both of these products for long-term or permanent storage. Thank you in advance to anyone who replies.

​Update: The album pages (from the link) have arrived and is of the brand: kolekcjoner. Does anyone know anything about this brand? Do they use PVC?

​Update: The seller tells me it is made of "clear plastic foil".
​I use them and NO PVC in them.
Globetrotter
Coin varieties in French:
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com
I buy them from here since more than 25 years:: www.leuchtturm.com
Globetrotter
Quote: "Worldwide collection"
Quote: "Camerinvs"​There are, indeed, coin pages that are designed specifically to put coins directly in. If the pages are made by a reputable company such as Lighthouse/Leuchtturm, then there should be no problem. I do have some of those pages; they are rather expensive, but when you hold them you can "feel" the quality of the plastic.
​​
​​Some made-in-China/Hong Kong/Taiwan pages will fit lighthouse albums, but I wouldn't trust them. They are sold at low price, which tells you they are of low quality.
​​
​​In your case, if you search for Schulz on the Leuchtturm website (i.e. the German "mother" site) it is clear that Schulz is a Leuchtturm brand, so I would trust them. Wasn't there any information on the envelope in which they came?
​Sorry to ask 3 years and 7 months later are BCW coin pages appropriate for storing coins because most of the ones in the U.K. are from ​PR China and most likely contain PVC. So as well as BCW can you recommend any other brands? But with some conditions firstly non PVC and each page can hold 2x2s and 20 coins on each page.
​Hey Worldwide Collection,

I buy these pages that are made of polypropylene, they do all different types for banknotes, medals, coins.

https://www.westgate-supplies.co.uk/product/cosmic-multi-master-collector-sleeves-divider

They don’t have an actual picture of them on the site but I’ll add a couple of the pages I’ve got. They also have a little strip at the top should you want to label each page.
Quote: "Felth93"​​Hey Worldwide Collection,

​I buy these pages that are made of polypropylene, they do all different types for banknotes, medals, coins.

https://www.westgate-supplies.co.uk/product/cosmic-multi-master-collector-sleeves-divider

​They don’t have an actual picture of them on the site but I’ll add a couple of the pages I’ve got. They also have a little strip at the top should you want to label each page.
​Thanks Felth93 I’ve been searching online for months now for a certain type of pocket pages (on Amazon, Ebay and websites from previous posts and this looks good so it’s going on my bucket list.
Hi to whoever is reading this. Did you know that TYPEWRITER (on a QWERTY keyboard) is the longest word you can type using only the letters on one row of the keyboard.
Quote: "Sjoelund"​I buy them from here since more than 25 years:: www.leuchtturm.com
​Which particular coin pages you’ve bought because it goes just to the home page.

Btw which other brands other than the ones listed below are also good for storing a coin and banknote collection?
  • Leuchtturm (what you’ve said)
  • BCW (which I’m leaning to at the moment but don’t know which one to but the Vinyl one or the polypropylene ones).
  • Lead dog
Can’t remember the rest.
Quote: "Sjoelund"​I buy them from here since more than 25 years:: www.leuchtturm.com
​​Which particular coin pages you’ve bought because it goes just to the home page.

​Btw which other brands other than the ones listed below are also good for storing a coin and banknote collection?

• Leuchtturm (what you’ve said)

• BCW (which I’m leaning to at the moment but don’t know which one to but the Vinyl one or the polypropylene ones).

• Lead dog

​Can’t remember the rest.
​Oh my God, of course it goes to the home page!!! The quality is the same, of course.
Globetrotter
Quote: "Sjoelund"
​​Oh my God, of course it goes to the home page!!! The quality is the same, of course.
​Hmmmm ok.🤔
​​​Oh my God, of course it goes to the home page!!! The quality is the same, of course.
​​Hmmmm ok.🤔
​You buy where you want, but then don't ask:P
Globetrotter

​​​​Oh my God, of course it goes to the home page!!! The quality is the same, of course.
​​​Hmmmm ok.🤔
​​You buy where you want, but then don't ask:P
​It’s just that I’m checking that I didn’t miss anything in my extensive research over the last three months to see which one is the best suited for my needs (budget, quality, ease of use etc).
Quote: "nthn"
Quote: "css73"​​If you have a Hobby Lobby / similar craft store, you can get those for $7.50 each when they're on sale.
​​
​​Hope this is helpful.
​​Hobby Lobby always has a 50% off any one item coupon also, you can just print it out and bring it in.
They have stopped the 50 percent off any one item promotion. ​

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 09:34.