Menu

How much is a bulk lot of foreigns worth?

gridironshowcase
Hey Numista. I've been interested in buying a bulk lot of foreign coins to just kind of build up my collection since I'm new and only really have US coins. Is $20 including priority shipping a good value for a bulk, two pounds (weight) of assorted foreign coins? The dealer said he would throw in some extra coins as well. Thanks Numista.
What I collect: US, 3rd Reich Germany, Philippines, Ancients, Vatican City, North Korea.
Jesse11
As a very rough rule of thumb, figure 100 coins per pound. $10 a pound is not terrible, although my first lot of coins was $7 per pound shipped. So you may be able to do better.

If buying on eBay, I would steer away from lots that include a carefully crafted story about "granddad's long hidden stash of coins" and other complicated stories to fancy up a basic bulk lot of coins, or lots that claim loudly to be "unsearched".
radrick007
I would also steer clear of sellers who are posting multiple bulk lots since you will know they have been carefully sifted to make sure there is nothing of real value. Buying bulk lots on feeBay involves a lot of research and patience - look around and watch a few to see what is selling (and for how much) and what is not.
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon

Catalogue referee for Celtic Britain, England, United Kingdom
Cerulean
I have paid as much as $10 and as little as $2 per pound. I tend to get 120 coins per pound.
Houseofham
It's been a couple years since I bought any bulk lots... Prices on E-Bay vary a lot. In general, buying bigger lots will save you $$s on shipping, but there will be a higher chance of getting duplicates. Personally, I wouldn't go above $6/lb, unless I can see enough coins that interest me in the pictures and they don't use stock photos.

No matter what the title/description says, assume every lot has been searched - BUT - different people search for different things. Some are only interested in silver, some look for error coins, and no one knows everything, so you can still find good stuff. Since buyers can only reasonably estimate the lots worth based on what they see, sellers often place the most interesting coins on top - expect the coins below to be filler, added just to make the weight.

I would generally recommend skipping any lots with a lot of 2x2s - more often than not, they just add a lot of extra weight and hold low-grade and low-value coins. I would also steer clear of anything that explicitly says "with silver" in the title/description, as that means it's been searched and there is no silver except for the one low-grade 3d/6d piece they are throwing in to sweeten the deal.
HoH
Sjoelund
Hi,

a kilo in France (a bit more than 2 pounds) costs 10 euros!

Ole
Globetrotter
Coin variants in English:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
In French on Cobra's site (not the same)
http://monnaiesetvarietes.esy.es/
css73
I haven't been collecting long, but I always ask for a picture or two of the lot that I will receive before I buy if they list more than one of the lot. If they won't send me any pictures, I don't buy.

For sellers who list lots individually, I look at pics very closely. Anything that looks interesting, I ask for a better shot of. If they aren't helpful, I don't buy.

I have purchased a number of lots like these. I generally pay about $7 - 10 per pound with shipping. So, $20 for 2lbs. is not bad. If there is something special about a lot, I would pay more, but generally I find about the same thing regardless of what I pay.

My local shop sells loose coins in bulk for $7 per pound, and I get the chance to see the coins in person first. If you have a local coin shop, you might check with them.
gridironshowcase
Quote: "css73"​I haven't been collecting long, but I always ask for a picture or two of the lot that I will receive before I buy if they list more than one of the lot. If they won't send me any pictures, I don't buy.

​Is this mostly eBay?
What I collect: US, 3rd Reich Germany, Philippines, Ancients, Vatican City, North Korea.
KennyG
It's a mix of several factors. There's what we call good poundage and bad (average) poundage. Good poundage has hard to find countries like Mauritania or Mongolia, old low mintage copper and silver, and high-value FOREX coins like British round pounds, while bad poundage will carry common coins from countries like Italy, France, Thailand, etc, and might include copper British 1p and 2p and large 5p and 10p. In California, we exclude Mexican and Canadian coins from poundage. I wouldn't recommend spending more than $10 per pound.
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
gridironshowcase
Quote: "KennyG"​It's a mix of several factors. There's what we call good poundage and bad (average) poundage. Good poundage has hard to find countries like Mauritania or Mongolia, old low mintage copper and silver, and high-value FOREX coins like British round pounds, while bad poundage will carry common coins from countries like Italy, France, Thailand, etc, and might include copper British 1p and 2p and large 5p and 10p. In California, we exclude Mexican and Canadian coins from poundage. I wouldn't recommend spending more than $10 per pound.
​Is it normal to ask if it's good, average, and bad poundage?
Houseofham
Quote: "gridironshowcase"
Quote: "KennyG"​It's a mix of several factors. There's what we call good poundage and bad (average) poundage. Good poundage has hard to find countries like Mauritania or Mongolia, old low mintage copper and silver, and high-value FOREX coins like British round pounds, while bad poundage will carry common coins from countries like Italy, France, Thailand, etc, and might include copper British 1p and 2p and large 5p and 10p. In California, we exclude Mexican and Canadian coins from poundage. I wouldn't recommend spending more than $10 per pound.
​​Is it normal to ask if it's good, average, and bad poundage?
There is nothing wrong with asking for more info before you bid, as long as you do it in a polite manner and there is enough time for them to reply before the bidding ends.
HoH

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 12:04PM.