Menu

How to organize my coins?

gridironshowcase
Hey Numista. Still pretty new to collecting to coins, as you can tell I've mentioned in my other posts. I wanted to know how should I be organizing my coins? Right now I have ones I like in a bag separate from a jar of foreign coins I bought by the pound. In total, I probably have 3-4 pounds of coins.

How can I organize them so I can actually find specific coins instead of sifting though a jar like I am now? I just want it to be easier to find coins for swaps instead of spending a lot of time going through searching for them. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks everyone!
What I collect: US, US Confederate currency, 3rd Reich Germany, Philippines - US Administration, Ancients - Admittedly don't know much about them but want to start. I'm always up to buying foreign coins by the pound.
Jesse11
I keep my collection in 3-ring binders. Originally by continent, and then as I got more coins I had to split it up in finer divisions. E.g., North America got split into "US, Canada & Mexico", "Caribbean", and "Central America". Europe is now, "Europe A-C", "Europe D-F", etc. In the binders I keep the coins in 2x2 flips in 20 pocket pages.

Swap coins I keep loose in ziplock sandwich bags, again originally split up by continent but as I got more coins of single countries I would start new bags for each country. I label the bags with generic white sticky labels.
Oklahoman
2x2 flips also fit conveniently in row boxes.
Peter M. Graham
Besides my 3-ring binders I use a parts storage cabinet from the local hardware store. The bottom "big" drawer is for unsorted coins. Two large drawers for USA and Euro's. And lastly all the little drawers for Africa, Asia, Mexico, etc. Even have room for junk silver and Exonumia. Many extra "empty" drawers for expansion too.
We were so busy deciding whether we could, we never asked ourselves whether we should!
gridironshowcase
Quote: "Oklahoman"​2x2 flips also fit conveniently in row boxes.
​Thanks everyone for the advice. I probably start out with ziplock bags.

What are 2x2 flips?
What I collect: US, US Confederate currency, 3rd Reich Germany, Philippines - US Administration, Ancients - Admittedly don't know much about them but want to start. I'm always up to buying foreign coins by the pound.
Cerulean
Most of my collection is stored in plastic bead organizer trays from the craft store.

https://goo.gl/images/Hx14jM
Houseofham
Quote: "gridironshowcase"
Quote: "Oklahoman"​2x2 flips also fit conveniently in row boxes.
​​Thanks everyone for the advice. I probably start out with ziplock bags.

​What are 2x2 flips?

https://www.air-tites.com/Cardboard_2x2_Coin_Holders.htm
https://www.air-tites.com/vinyl-notebook-pocket-pages.htm
HoH
scceda
Same as Cerulean. I like to feel my coins, I like when they are "naked".
I don't send via registered mail with very few exceptions.
MonaSeaclaid
I love 2x2 flips. I get to feel the texture of the coin without rubbing away the patina (or worse!) and it makes it easy for me to record any information I have on the coin. They're also pretty cost-effective.

So I use 2x2 flips and binders.

The order in which you organise your collection is completely personal. Whatever makes sense to you is the way to go. I go by country then by year. Some people use KM numbers. I met someone who goes by metal content. I couldn't live with it but its their collection and they like it, that's all that counts.
I wrote something clever here.
PhilipBe
Quote: "MonaSeaclaid"​I love 2x2 flips. I get to feel the texture of the coin without rubbing away the patina (or worse!) and it makes it easy for me to record any information I have on the coin. They're also pretty cost-effective.

​So I use 2x2 flips and binders.

​The order in which you organise your collection is completely personal. Whatever makes sense to you is the way to go. I go by country then by year. Some people use KM numbers. I met someone who goes by metal content. I couldn't live with it but its their collection and they like it, that's all that counts.

My belgian (paper) catalogue does list the coins first by king and then by metal content.
The separation between kings is easy enough, the suborder by metal content is strange in the beginning, but somehow it also makes sense..... who is not separating his silver coins from the rest....

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 10:09PM.