Historical periods / rulers on Numista [solved]

10 posts

This message aims at: suggesting an idea to improve Numista

Upvotes: 15
Downvotes: 0

» Quick access to the last post

I know the answer, before I will ask for it, and answer will be "no, no no, for what such changes? we dont need this"
And now the question: I have few catalogues, and in all the main division is conected to "historical periods" and "rulers" for easy use and not to search one coin into 300 years on minting history, mixed by mints, rulers etc. So why are we hindering our lives?

Now examples: Albania our / and other site

few days ago I was adding new coins, here on Numista from Kingdom of Albania period, Italy occupation period and democratic republic period.... thank God, it is only about 150 coins and I waste only "x"-minutes jumping page by page looking the coin I want to add, as opposed to the situation when I click on others sites when there is a period for Italian occupation or Kingdom. One click and Im in the period that I see in Krause catalog, or in my home excel catalogue, and I saved a lot of time.

Another example: Papal States

Scudo 1588 - 1866.. 300 years of minting coins. Againg I was in situation I would like to add one coin, I found in polish auction house (with name of Pope), and again a lot of time wasted with looking if this coin, from particular historical period conected to one Pope exist here on numista, or not. If I was not patient I would let it go. From this reason I, as referee made divisions in PLC. I can fast look for coin existing or not existing in Numista (for adding it / or not adding) when I find any coins on any auction house.

I dont say it is the best solution, because better solution we can find on this site:

when first You can choose historical period / ruler --> then You can chose on each ruler which main type of coin You are interested in, so for example "koronne" ---> and then You can choose what denominations between koronne You are interested in, for example "szelągi" and then You got this:

only "szelągi" of this ruler, from this historical period. Few second of clicking, and a lot of saved time.

Yes, yes I know, we canot do such system here on Numista. It is immposible. But we can make the historical / rulers period easly, for sure for countries like Papal states, medieval countries like PLC or Polish Kingdom and many others. And yes I know, simplicity is the best, so having in Albania two division for coins until 1965 and after 1965 it is so easy... but only seemingly. If auctions house are making historical / ruler divisions, catalogue also, why we canot ?

Last example Rome:

The Roman Republic (cca 280 BC-41 BC) start on page 1 and goes until page 13 = so it is about 260 coins. We keep them together, and maybe I dont know anything about Roman coins (for sure I dont know anything about it), but are there divisions in the catalogues on individual rulers, with coins conected only with this rulers or catalogues keep them all in one bag ?
Hi,
Note for Roman Republic: We enforced the standard way of titling and filling coin files, but this doesn't work the same way for Roman Republic as minting was done through moneyer related to gens (Roman families of plebeian, patrician descent).

If you look at it, you will see that it follows current Numista rules with name of the family (gens) and name of the moneyer in between parenthesis to give information on specificity (but not in the main part of title as it's not a ruler). 13 pages is just a game play with the "Display options" (select "100 coins per page" and you get 3 pages for Roman Republic). And the search tool is our best friend: you type the name and get all coins related to the name.
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
Status changed to Accepted (Xavier, 9-Feb-2019, 22:24)
Status changed to Implemented (Xavier, 9-Jun-2019, 11:48)
Hello,

Ruling authorities are now supported on Numista. :)
See for instance:

We currently have data only for a few of them, so I beg your patience while we are creating all the rulers. Then you will be able to request the addition of the ruler to existing coin pages in the same way as other coin page modification requests.

You may also search by ruler using the advanced search or sort the search result by ruler (try with Chinese Empire, for which we already have some data).

Emperor name on Chinese coin page:

Sort Chinese Empire coins by ruler:
WOW!!! THANKS!
ROMAE AETERNAE
Hello.
Interestingly, for a single page it is possible to specify multiple rulers?
Quote: "Cyrillius"​Hello.
​Interestingly, for a single page it is possible to specify multiple rulers?
​Hi,
as of launch time, no. One ruling authority per file, but this was discussed for potential addition later on.

Note that cross-linking for rulers with different names would also be possible. Meaning if a ruler was in issuer A with name A and in issuer B under name B (but is the same), we can point A and B in the database so search would return both A and B coins.
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
Quote: "geraltttt82"
​I know the answer, before I will ask for it, and answer will be "no, no no, for what such changes? we dont need this"
​How nice is to be wrong sometimes. <:D
Catalogue administrator
Quote: "druzhynets"​WOW!!! THANKS!
​+1
Quote: "CassTaylor"
Quote: "druzhynets"​WOW!!! THANKS!
​​+1
​Sophie, time for Ceylon! (8
ROMAE AETERNAE
Hello,
Rulers may now be grouped by houses or dynasties. You can look at the rulers of the Chinese Empire for an example.
As of today 12% of the coins in the catalogue have been updated with a ruling authority :)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 03:23.