Menu

Off Target... too easy

» Quick access to the last post

iknw07554
I have been collecting IOM Crown coins and other Crown dependency coins. All was going well until some nice Crown animal series came my way. WWF 30 year coins and endangered species coins ... before I knew I had bought a few more. I have a limited budget and I now realise how easily to sway it is.

The thing about the animal Coins is that there are loads of them and they are difficult to get or there isn’t a definable end, whereas my crowns come in little sets of 4/6.

So a bit of self discipline is needed.
radrick007
... and you're hooked!
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon

Catalogue referee for Celtic Britain, England, United Kingdom
COINMAN1
There is absolutely nothing wrong in collecting Isle of Man crowns, whether it is individual coins, or, as in most cases, like you have already stated, sets of coins.
I have loads of these crown sized coins, and also from many other countries including Gibraltar.
Like you, have noticed a steady rise in the prices of these, but I still find them irresistible. I have a set of Harry Potter coins reserved at my local coin shop, and cannot wait to get hold of them.
I still have some missing, but never seen them, and if I do see them for sell or exchange, they will hopefully become mine.
halfdisme
I have been selling Pobjoy Mint crowns of Isle of Man, Sierra Leone, Bosnia, Gibraltar, Liberia, Eritrea, etc., since I started on eBay in 1997, with the dinosaur coins of 1993. They have minted some beautiful designs.

I also like the silver Conservation series crowns of the mid-1970s.

Some people limit their animal collections to one family of animals--my son specialized in elephant coins; many people collect cat coins, etc.

The only rules are the ones you make for yourself. And it is best if you enjoy what you collect.
COINMAN1
I have just checked to see how many Isle of Man 1 Crown coins I have and below is the results.
1 Crown coins listed on Numista-453
1 Crown coins in my collection-324

I believe a lot of those that are missing from my collection are silver versions, so I do not think I will get most of those. I believe there are still a few copper-nickel coins to find, so still hunting them down.
ZacUK Numista team, Moderator
I like IoM Crowns too, and have quite a few.
According to this Search there are 377 Copper-nickel Crowns ...
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?mode=avance&p=1&r=&e=ile_de_man&d=&ca=3&no=&i=&v=Crown&m=Copper-nickel&a=&t=&dg=&w=&u=&f=&g=&c=&tb=y&tc=y&tn=y&tp=y&tt=y&te=y&cat=y
so yes you have most of them!
My collections >
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=13560800
also 13750057 also 15924495 also 15995337
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=16060326
COINMAN1
Yes, so according to your link, there are 377 copper-nickel coins, of which I have 295. That leaves 82 to find.
Crown sized coins are my favourite type of coin, as listed in my profile, and obviously, there are many other countries that produce them, so the hunt continues.
Long may the search for coins be as enjoyable now, as in the past. The excitement of getting a new addition to my collection never diminishes.
iknw07554
I am delighted that other collectors like crowns like me, and I still get a buzz when I get some . I have got lots to go from the contributions .I don’t have access to coin fairs so they are not so easy to get., but the hunt continues.

thanks for commenting all ..I’m hooked

Although, I have not got any for quite a while. These pictures I made five months ago.

My collections >
COINMAN1
This is a couple of photographs of some of mine that are in their set cases. Others, and there are lots of them are in an album.

There are a few other countries in the photographs, but that is how they are organised now.
Wow !!!
My collections >
iknw07554
Makes my collection seem a bit puny. I have 72 Coins from 20 Countries.

I keep my collection in coin trays .. which look really nice . I have have kept the little boxes ,in case them I sell which I assume will be more valuable in their little box ??.

I thought of going to the Isle of Man but I’m told it would be NO easier to get the Crown coins.

quite a few contributors say I should consider letting some of my ordinary coin collection go ..in order to build up my crown collection.I certainly would consider this but hardly anyone wants to swap Crown coin, and buying them is expensive ..they rarely go for cheaper than a tenner.

There are some nice coins out there... ships, planes, even Sherlock Holmes , carry on doing the lottery then.

thanks for your views which I love.
Essor Prof
Quote: "iknw07554"​Makes my collection seem a bit puny. I have 72 Coins from 20 Countries.

​.they rarely go for cheaper than a tenner.

​Don't worry about that. Once upon a time I started my collection with 1 coin. Now I have around 40.000 different.

I like crown size coins too. In fact I like every coin, but the crown size coins are one of my favourites.

And be patient. Wait for the right opportunity. Once in a while you'll get a chance to buy coins cheap. Last week I bought around 200 crown size coins for an average price between 3 and 6 €. Here are some pictures of the lots I bought:

Alderney:

Bosnia and Herzegovina:

Eritrea:

Gibraltar:

Guernsey:

Isle of Man:

Jersey:

Liberia:

New Zealand:

Mixed lot, but mostly Gibraltar:
iknw07554
What a fantastic lot , I ve been trying to get the dinosaur ones for ages.thats a terrific buy.

is it a guarded secret , where are you getting these treasures from? Is it a sin to ask
Essor Prof
It's from someone who stopped collecting and sold his collection.
iknw07554
What a find.. then . I should be so lucky..keep in touch
COINMAN1
I think there must be a few swaps available for that great big pile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Essor Prof
In this lots itself there are very little double, certainly none in the first 10 lots. Maybe a few in the last mixed lot.
But of course, over all the years I'm collecting I already have a lot of crown size coins, so there will be a lot of these coins I already have.
But as you can see, the adding to the Numista database goes very slowly. For the moment only America and Oceania and South Africa are added. So the New Zealand coins will be added shortly, also a small part of the coins in the mixed lot. The rest will be for much later.
COINMAN1
Essor Prof,
Just send them all to me and I will sort them out. Being retired gives me plenty of time for everything, especially coins.
That would be a great challenge. I promise to return all of the coins I do not want. What better offer can I make.
Essor Prof
Quote: "COINMAN1"​​That would be a great challenge. I promise to return all of the coins I do not want. What better offer can I make.

​You sending me all your coins I don't have?

You must be very lucky. I'm retired too but all my days are 24 hours too short, and most of my time is spent on my collection.
COINMAN1
I am a football referee, so I spend lots of time running around. Have a game this afternoon at 2.30 and Monday evening, Wednesday afternoon and evening, then more next weekend.
Still find plenty of time for coins and banknote collecting/exchanging, so m very happy in retirement.
Best of luck with your sorting and will be keeping a constant watch on you ever growing swap list, but don't tell the others!!!!!!!
iknw07554
I agree let’s keep this between us devoted crown collectors.

There is a special Internet group for bi metallic coin collectors why is there is no such group for crown collectors.

I am retired myself perhaps us retirees should start one .

Lot if Work though
Oklahoman
I love it! As you may know I love Isle of Man and Gibraltar in particular. Loads of them are in my collection...and loads more to go. I have some pattern and recalled coins from Isle of Man as well. Have to figure out if any of you have duplicates sometime.
Oklahoman
I have about 287 listed on the site, and I have about 20 or so that I need to get listed so that i can mark that I have them. I love collecting these crowns!
COINMAN1
Oklahoman,
It is difficult enough trying to obtain any Isle of Man crowns now for my collection, let alone doubles.
Gibraltar is no easier as we all know.
I would love a box full to exchange, but it is never going to happen.
Sorry guys
iknw07554
Quote: "Oklahoman"​I love it! As you may know I love Isle of Man and Gibraltar in particular. Loads of them are in my collection...and loads more to go. I have some pattern and recalled coins from Isle of Man as well. Have to figure out if any of you have duplicates sometime.
​hi ,

weve spoken before about our love of crowns.. there are so many it’s impossible to keep up. You will see above thread where a collection was gobbled up with some fantastic coins.

why does that never happen to me.. I’ll have to drop some hints for Xmas
halfdisme
A few years ago, at one of the major coin shows in Chicago, I purchased a Gibraltar copper-nickel 1994 crown of the Royal Breeds (dogs) series; but it was not the Pekingese, it was a German Sheppard!

I contacted Beth Caspar, Director of U. S. Sales and Operations for Pobjoy Mint, about the coin. She said that in 1994, Pobjoy was trying to decide what breeds to do next, so they struck some limited quantities of a few different breeds--went through the process of establishing legal tender status for each of them--and sent examples to their major distributors for their comments. This was one of those coins.

I have submitted the data and photos to Krause, for inclusion in the catalog, but their staff reductions have slowed down the addition process.
Oklahoman
So cool!
Oklahoman
Can you show an image of your german shepherd?
halfdisme
I will post it when I can, but we are still unpacking from our move from Chicago, and it has not been located.
COINMAN1
I also have the Pekinese, Collie and Bulldog of this series in my Krause catalogue, but are only listed in silver and gold.
The German Shepherd is not listed at all.
The face value is 1 Royal and each weight 1oz, (31.1030gms) of .9999 silver or .9999 gold
There are other face values of this series, (1/25, 1/10, 1/5 & 1/2 Royal), but none of these have copper-nickel versions shown.
Stranger still is that a couple of 1998 & 1999 Cherubs and Cheribum coins do have copper-nickel versions shown in my catalogue.
Essor Prof
Quote: "COINMAN1"​I also have the Cocker Spaniel, Long-haired Dachshund, Pekinese, Collie and Bulldog of this series in my Krause catalogue, but are only listed in silver and gold.

​Then I have a better Krause (hahaha, maybe we can swap Krauses too?):

Essor Prof
And no Crowns but Royals:

COINMAN1
Do you have the Pekinese and the Bulldog in the Royal series listed in your latest catalogue?
Essor Prof
Copper-nickel Pekingese Dog and Bulldog in the Royal series:

Krause 1901-2000, 44th edition (2017): page 983
Krause 1901-2000, 42nd edition (2015): page 991

Krause 1901-present, 33rd edition (2006): has only the copper-nickel Collie on page 918
COINMAN1
Wow, I only have the 30th addition. Spend more money on coins than catalogues
oggy Numista team, Moderator
Quote: "halfdisme"​I have been selling Pobjoy Mint crowns of Isle of Man, Sierra Leone, Bosnia, Gibraltar, Liberia, Eritrea, etc., since I started on eBay in 1997, with the dinosaur coins of 1993. They have minted some beautiful designs.

​I also like the silver Conservation series crowns of the mid-1970s.

​Some people limit their animal collections to one family of animals--my son specialized in elephant coins; many people collect cat coins, etc.

​The only rules are the ones you make for yourself. And it is best if you enjoy what you collect.

Nice, another 70's wwf series collector! Do you have any of them spare? There's swap potential here as I have a couple extras.
Here's a tray with some of my animals by the way! I'll try to find the other tray later if people are interested.

COINMAN1
Of course we are interested. Let the world see everything we all have.
Unlike you, oggy, I do not keep my crown sized coins in sets like you have shown us.
I keep mine by country, so they are easily located. Within each country, I then keep the sets together.
Obviously, I still have many missing, so gaps are there, waiting to be filled.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in your method of sorting, as I expect others do the same, my whole collection is located by country.

Still a great box of coins. Bring the next box soon and we can all drool over them

Just noticed the Britannia coin! That is not an animal!!!
I think a lot of people tend to do it as you do Coinman, especially for larger collections. I tend to group my coins by 'collection' as I rarely have enough from a single country to group them. Each collection has 1-2 trays, depending on how many coins I have.

So I have the following collections in trays:

- Animals (2 trays)
- Scandinavian Dalers/Riksdalers etc (1 Tray)
- Thalers (2 Trays)
- Weimar (1 Tray)
- Halfcrowns (2 trays)
- Crowns (1 tray)
- Portugal (1 tray)
- South Africa/ZAR (2 trays)
- Ship&map medals/coins (1/2 a tray - shared with the Tetradrachmes)

One of my other hobbys is 3D Printing, so I'm trying to learn to print customised Plastic coin trays for them. I just need to find a good rayon silk supplier for the lining and I'll be able to switch to those, which should be much better because they will have the exact size coin slots I need.
COINMAN1
oggy,
Is the two bird coins in the bottom row the same? Which country are they from?
Some of the others I do not have? You are a lucky man.
COINMAN1
Just checked my Numista listings for coins that are 38.6mm diameter.
Result-1934
Aye, they are both 1978 Fiji WWF $10, KM41a (available to swap for any WWF one I don't have!)

Very similar to the 1978 in the Numista catalogue, but in 925 silver. It's a numista error to lump them both together, as they are different coins.

The [1974-1979] collection is of 48 coins, 2 from each of 24 countries one lower denomination weighing 28.28g, and another higher one weighing 35~g, with an additional approximately 9 gold coins each weighing just over an ounce (agw 1oz). Mintages range from around 8000-2000 for the silver ones, and 100-900 for the gold ones. I have around half the silvers, and one of the gold.

It's a very rewarding collection to collect in my opinion. Though don't expect to pay cat values, they are often worth far more. The gold ones especially are HIGHLY numismatic due to low mintage and high desirability, so if you can pick one up from somebody looking to get rid of "worthless modern gold commem bullion," do so. (I picked mine up from a local dude swapping my entire collection of 5 sovereigns, and he was totally delighted to be getting rid of his 'modern gold crap' for real coins.)
COINMAN1
oggy,
the .500 silver coin should be KM#41, whilst the .925 silver coin is KM#41a.
I think an amendment is needed.
Sorry, but only have coins for swap that are on my listings at the moment.
Quote: "COINMAN1"​oggy,
​the .500 silver coin should be KM#41, whilst the .925 silver coin is KM#41a.
​I think an amendment is needed.
​Sorry, but only have coins for swap that are on my listings at the moment.

Yep, exactly that. The a classifications are the proof .925's. I tried to add a lot of them back when I was quite new to Numista, but it seems I'm not very good at adding coins as most got rejected!
Essor Prof
Meanwhile I've checked that mixed lot I bought last week. About half of that lot are Gibraltar Crowns. Together with the two separate Gibraltar lots the result is 81 different Gibraltar Crowns/Royals.
Amongst these:

halfdisme
To be precise, I said I like the Conservation crowns of the 1970s; I did not say that I collect them. The mintages are low by more modern comparisons, and the style/artwork is high quality. I have owned all or nearly all of the silver ones, at one time or another, and owned three of the gold ones.

I do have some of the silver crowns now--Malaysia, Indonesia, Tanzania, Zaire and Oman quickly come to mind.

Long ago, I realized I could not collect everything, so basically limited my world collection to one per location, through history, including major political changes. As a subset of this, I have representative coins from over 500 of the locations for German notgeld.

(I have wandered off this path somewhat, in that I also collect Canadian pre-decimal tokens, and Australian and New Zealand 19th century tokens.)

Most of my animal coins, other than my collection, can be seen in our eBay store, which is at
http://stores.ebay.com/E-and-L-Freeman . There is a store category for Animal Coins, and they are also categorized by country.

I am also willing to trade, but it would need to be for something I need or can use.
Oklahoman
hey halfdisme, I will go ahead and update the year listing with your information on the proof copper nickel cat. one more time...was it the 1995 or 1999?
halfdisme
Both 1995 and 1999 were issued as CN Proofs. See eBay 372127011739 and 372125937825 .
COINMAN1
Obtained my new 6 coin set today from a coin dealer, but made a small mistake in the nature of the set.
It was not Harry Potter, as I stated earlier in this forum, but a Gibraltar set of 6 coins from 1993 commemorating Beatrix Potter. All have a face value of 1 Crown.
The reverse of each coin is listed below. Will add photograph tomorrow when I have better lighting.
Peter Rabbit
Mrs Tiggy-Winkle
Mr Jeremy Fisher
Tom Kitten
Benjamin Bunny
Jemima Puddle-Duck
The set came in its original blue velvet box
Oklahoman
i have that set.
COINMAN1

Top L-R KM#'s 201, 205 & 209
Bottom L-R KM#'s 213, 217 & 221

The set is 'The Peter Rabbit Centennial'
iknw07554
Quote: "ZacUK"​ I like IoM Crowns too, and have quite a few.
​According to this Search there are 377 Copper-nickel Crowns ...
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?mode=avance&p=1&r=&e=ile_de_man&d=&ca=3&no=&i=&v=Crown&m=Copper-nickel&a=&t=&dg=&w=&u=&f=&g=&c=&tb=y&tc=y&tn=y&tp=y&tt=y&te=y&cat=y
​so yes you have most of them!
​You made me laugh and cry at same time. Firstly , it was good to see a definitive list of coins I need , yet depressing how many I need to get.
iknw07554
Quote: "oggy"​Here's a tray with some of my animals by the way! I'll try to find the other tray later if people are interested.

​Other collectors are devoted to their currency coins, but like you I have my crown coin in trays and they look great don’t they. I feel chuffed when I look at them, but as all other contributors have said .. they aren’t that easy to get. Any one pick up my earlier suggestion of forming a small group of us crown collectors, perhaps under the Numista banner., with a heading of Fan Groups under which little sub groups could communicate.

The listing of the 377 target is just one of the valuable things to share.
iknw07554
Quote: "oggy"​Here's a tray with some of my animals by the way! I'll try to find the other tray later if people are interested.

​reposted in error
iknw07554
The start of my animal tray.

There are a few cheats in there, namely Chinese Year Tokens.
Oklahoman
there will be more than 377 when all unlisted types are entered.
iknw07554
Quote: "Oklahoman"​there will be more than 377 when all unlisted types are entered.
​oh great.. :( make my target bigger.
Oklahoman
if its a bigger target then it will be easier to hit with what you aim at it.

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 01:21AM.