Menu

Any other millennials/college student collectors here?

» Quick access to the last post

gridironshowcase
Hey Numista. I just thought about it and was curious if there are many collectors like me out there. Basically I'm a millennial, college student.

About half of the time my youth is somehow mentioned when at a coin store. Considering most students would be too busy or rather spend money on other stuff, it seems like people are surprised with young collectors.
What I collect: US, 3rd Reich Germany, Philippines, Ancients, Vatican City, North Korea.
CassTaylor
Absolutely, of course there are.
I'm currently on kind of a 'gap year' after finishing my upper-level exams, and I suppose I'm a millennial in the generational sense of the word.

I'm sure there must be more young members of Numista, whether they participate on the forums or not.
une franglaise; ♪ je brosse ma chevelure ♫
cncote10
I am a millenial i suppose though of course the term carries a certain connotation...I am an older millenial as Ive been out of college a few years. I have found in my local coin stores most of the people my age in there are buying silver as an investment/hedge most of the collectors could be my father or grandfather at this point. Always happy to have more people my age around here so its all good!
nthn
Younger millennial? I am a senior in high school.
Referee for Cayman Islands, Turks and Caicos Islands, Italian states, Niue, Order of Malta, Pitcairn Islands, Samoa, American Samoa, Sarawak, Tibet and Zambia. All of my swap list is for sale.
gridironshowcase
Nice to meet you all. What got you all started is numismatics? I have yet to see anybody my age making a purchase at a coin shop or show.
What I collect: US, 3rd Reich Germany, Philippines, Ancients, Vatican City, North Korea.
Subha Barua
I too am a high school senior. I started my hobby last year and it's up to 1 year now. :)
The filament
Tempus fugit...
Above everything is time that can't be traced but time flies!
nthn
Quote: "gridironshowcase"​Nice to meet you all. What got you all started is numismatics? I have yet to see anybody my age making a purchase at a coin shop or show.
​I got started with my dad's trip to Mexico, and the Pesos he brought back, a Cayman Islands penny I found in a vending machine, and some Canadian coins from a missionary. Bought my first coin (Guatemala 1/4 Real 1897; Look it up) for my birthday. Went from there.
Referee for Cayman Islands, Turks and Caicos Islands, Italian states, Niue, Order of Malta, Pitcairn Islands, Samoa, American Samoa, Sarawak, Tibet and Zambia. All of my swap list is for sale.
redsmithstudios
Here is a tip for you young guys, this may only apply to the US? Check the coin sorting machines in banks, wall mart, and grocery stores. It’s like a free little coin lottery. It’s crazy how a random coin of $0.25 in value can brighten up your day.

Also anytime you go to your bank, always ask if the bank has half dollars, be persistent, “oh you don’t have any, what about in the vault?”, I had asked for about four years without so much as a full roll of regular halves, but about a month ago I got four rolls one week and four the next. Both lots had silver in them and now I have a roll of silver halves that only cost me 50 cent each. If you make a relationship with a bank teller they will keep and eye open for you. Ask them to save any foreign coins for you. At one bank the teller told me that the banks policy is to literally throw any foreign coins into the trash!
Also let friends and family know you're interested in any old coins from foreign travels if enough people know you collect, they will give you their leftovers when they get back. Or when they are sorting through old stuff and they find coins, they will think of you.

And most importantly be generous, send something free in your swaps. If someone gives you a very valuable coin and they didn’t know it, give them some money, treating people well will bring you far more than being greedy.
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
oggy Numista team, Moderator
Me too. Over 18 months collecting now!
oggy Numista team, Moderator
Quote: "CassTaylor"​Absolutely, of course there are.
​I'm currently on kind of a 'gap year' after finishing my upper-level exams, and I suppose I'm a millennial in the generational sense of the word.

​I'm sure there must be more young members of Numista, whether they participate on the forums or not.

You eloped to Marseilles straight after A-levels? Pretty gutsy!
CassTaylor
Quote: "oggy"
​​I'm currently on kind of a 'gap year' after finishing my upper-level exams, and I suppose I'm a millennial in the generational sense of the word.
​​
​​I'm sure there must be more young members of Numista, whether they participate on the forums or not.
​​
​You eloped to Marseilles straight after A-levels? Pretty gutsy!
​Technically my family did, but we waited until after my schooling for the move. Getting in touch with the French side of our family also had other reasons, such as Brexit and my parents' employment. I'm currently considering spending a few weeks somewhere exotic, say Singapore, during this gap year thing.
Solstafir
Well, I'm a high school student. Turned 17 around a month ago. :)
elvis123
Graduated university here in June. Turn 24 next month. Been collecting for about 10 years.
I only send via unregistered mail.
Giobruno
Been collecting for 1 year, my grandfather collected too. Turned 25 last month.
Stupendousman35
Fun to see young collectors on here. I just finished my education recently as well.
Choucas
I'm at the university and 19. I've been collecting old coins in a box since i was like 9 or 10 but i begin to become serious about it only less than a year ago.
cmaclean
I'm 21 and I'm in my final year of university. I have been collecting for almost 10 years.
Numista referee for Scotland.
Platypus
I'm what some people call an "old Millennial" - born in 1986 and just old enough to have made mix tapes and used floppy disks non-ironically. :)

I'm a bit of a hoarder, a huge geek, and I have a pretty stressful job. Always on the lookout for new hobbies to help unwind, and coin-collecting just might be it. Infinite (and well researched) coin hoards! Mwahahaha... X-D
Numismatist uk
Quote: "redsmithstudios"​Here is a tip for you young guys, this may only apply to the US? Check the coin sorting machines in banks, wall mart, and grocery stores. It’s like a free little coin lottery. It’s crazy how a random coin of $0.25 in value can brighten up your day.

​Also anytime you go to your bank, always ask if the bank has half dollars, be persistent, “oh you don’t have any, what about in the vault?”, I had asked for about four years without so much as a full roll of regular halves, but about a month ago I got four rolls one week and four the next. Both lots had silver in them and now I have a roll of silver halves that only cost me 50 cent each. If you make a relationship with a bank teller they will keep and eye open for you. Ask them to save any foreign coins for you. At one bank the teller told me that the banks policy is to literally throw any foreign coins into the trash!
​ Also let friends and family know you're interested in any old coins from foreign travels if enough people know you collect, they will give you their leftovers when they get back. Or when they are sorting through old stuff and they find coins, they will think of you.

​ And most importantly be generous, send something free in your swaps. If someone gives you a very valuable coin and they didn’t know it, give them some money, treating people well will bring you far more than being greedy.

I do the same in the uk but no silver due to decimal currency.
I always check the Tesco coinstars and any 'rare'​ (commemorative coin) I find I keep.
I also keep errors and pre-92 1p and 2p coins due to 97% copper content.
The commemorative coins I find I collect and any spares of designs are kept to be sold to hopefully purchase some silver or save for a coin that I have always wanted.
I too am young but have been collecting since 2012 (officially),
before that I collected commemorative coins, tokens and any foreign I could find.

Great advice,

N.uk

P.s. What was your best ever find?

P.P.s I know people in the US who actually turn on the machine and take the few cents that pop out, if you have a good eye, money really does grow on trees.
                                           Coin collector and Silver stacker
              'We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.'
                                                      Sir Winston Churchill
Numismatist uk
Quote: "CassTaylor"
Quote: "oggy"

​​​I'm currently on kind of a 'gap year' after finishing my upper-level exams, and I suppose I'm a millennial in the generational sense of the word.
​​​
​​​I'm sure there must be more young members of Numista, whether they participate on the forums or not.
​​​
​​You eloped to Marseilles straight after A-levels? Pretty gutsy!

​​Technically my family did, but we waited until after my schooling for the move. Getting in touch with the French side of our family also had other reasons, such as Brexit and my parents' employment. I'm currently considering spending a few weeks somewhere exotic, say Singapore, during this gap year thing.
So true​, Brexit is a bit of a pain in the derriere.
Personally I can see some good points if it's done well but even without these shakes there shall be major consequences. Some people take it too far and are colouring 'Brexit Britannias' these overly overpriced coins have the Uk flag on the shield and are made so that these companies can take our cake and eat it, excuse the pun.

N.uk
                                           Coin collector and Silver stacker
              'We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.'
                                                      Sir Winston Churchill
loruca
Might as well add myself to the list of young numismats,
But I question, is the year 2000 millennial or not so?
Half way through first year of Uni here in Canada!

Loruca
I collect anything: If it's Italian or Italian states i collect it even more!
MihajloNesic
Another millennial here :)
http://mnesiccoins.ml     https://www.instagram.com/mnesiccoins/
aaronmgd
31 here. collecting since i was about 9 years old. Not a millennial. But from the younger crowd....8)
Courtesy is the one coin you can never have too much of or be stingy with.

Coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all your money and still have some left.
William Jacobs
I ain't probably as old as you guys (by about 10 years) but I am in highschool (junior years). I started collecting 5 months ago...
Greetings from NZL
ngdawa
Between what years do you qualify to be called a millennial? I've always thought that the millennials are those born in 99/00, but then I've heard people calling themselves millenials who grew up in the 90's.
My goal is to have at least 1 coin from each modern country.
Countries left: 17
CassTaylor
Quote: "ngdawa"​Between what years do you qualify to be called a millennial? I've always thought that the millennials are those born in 99/00, but then I've heard people calling themselves millenials who grew up in the 90's.
​I think usually between 1985 and 2000? It depends usually on who you ask, but I think of millennial birth year borders as corresponding roughly to that of the Lost Generation 100 years later; e.g. those born 1885 to 1900 would have fought in WWI.
ngdawa
Quote: "CassTaylor"
Quote: "ngdawa"​Between what years do you qualify to be called a millennial? I've always thought that the millennials are those born in 99/00, but then I've heard people calling themselves millenials who grew up in the 90's.
​​I think usually between 1985 and 2000? It depends usually on who you ask, but I think of millennial birth year borders as corresponding roughly to that of the Lost Generation 100 years later; e.g. those born 1885 to 1900 would have fought in WWI.
​ah, well in that case i'm a millennial! :D lol, feels really weird to call me that.. :P
LEÓNIDÁS
I am also "millenial", and collect coins from cca my 6 :)
SquareRootLolly
Hmm... guesss my age. My mental age is 46 more than that of my current.
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
CassTaylor
Quote: "SquareRootLolly"​Hmm... guesss my age. My mental age is 46 more than that of my current.
​46 years more seems to be a very specific mental age....
EmiliaGreatGirl
Quote: "gridironshowcase"​Hey Numista. I just thought about it and was curious if there are many collectors like me out there. Basically I'm a millennial, college student.

​About half of the time my youth is somehow mentioned when at a coin store. Considering most students would be too busy or rather spend money on other stuff, it seems like people are surprised with young collectors.
Hey. I think that the existing of young collectors who study at the college is a rarity. All people who collect coins are old. But I also collect coins. I'm young too and I'm studying at the college too. Therefore, I'm your colleague. I have a lot of coins and the collecting of coins takes a lot of time. Therefore, I don't have time to do my homework. Therefore, I buy writings on the sites, reviews of which you can read here - https://essayservicescanner.com/. I have time to collect coins and care for old coins thanks to such sites. I wish you luck in finding new coins. Thanks a lot for your attention.
SquareRootLolly
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
BramVB
Quote Therefore, I buy writings on the sites, reviews of which you can read here - .
​Sounds like another account to just promote these writing sites. The link already seems to have been removed, why not remove the full post and remove the account?

I've surely already reported half a dozen of these spam accounts that just posted some publicity once or twice. Shouldn't these accounts just be removed?
Just call me Bram
Back in Belgium, with a lot of coins to swap ... but with high postal costs :(
ngdawa
Quote: "BramVB"
Quote Therefore, I buy writings on the sites, reviews of which you can read here - .
​​Sounds like another account to just promote these writing sites. The link already seems to have been removed, why not remove the full post and remove the account?

​I've surely already reported half a dozen of these spam accounts that just posted some publicity once or twice. Shouldn't these accounts just be removed?
so, ​what "she" did was: create an account, find this thread (last reply was in february), and post links to writing sites? what a waste of time..
CassTaylor
Quote: "ngdawa"
Quote: "BramVB"

Quote​​

​​
​​​Sounds like another account to just promote these writing sites. The link already seems to have been removed, why not remove the full post and remove the account?
​​
​​I've surely already reported half a dozen of these spam accounts that just posted some publicity once or twice. Shouldn't these accounts just be removed?
​so, ​what "she" did was: create an account, find this thread (last reply was in february), and post links to writing sites? what a waste of time..
​Well, no one said they were smart..... :°
Mark240590
At 29 I guess I’m a millennial too. Been collecting 7 years properly but since starting a family im selling my collection to fund memories !
BRITISH EMPIRE COLLECTION FOR SALE.INBOX ME IF YOU WANY ANY.

MAY SWAP FOR DURHAM AND NORTHUMBERLAND CONDER TOKENS OR OLD GIBRALTAR QUART COINS/ TOKENS
aephi
Quote: "redsmithstudios" At one bank the teller told me that the banks policy is to literally throw any foreign coins into the trash!

​that's very United States;)
druzhynets Numista team
I guess I'm also millennial (was born in 1991!). I've been collecting coins since 2000 and seriously for the last five years (starting from the moment when I registered here and collection started growing exponentially).
Catalog master referee

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 08:59AM.