How do you balance the swaps?

10 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I am just a little curious to know how do you balance the swaps.
Me, usually trade "one for one", since I don't collect very precious coins (My collection theme is circulable coins of the last century), and sometime the value of the exchanged coins is computed using the KM or other official catalogue.
CirculableCoins
I trade 1-for-1 if all of the coins have a value of $1 or less, but for more valuable coins I try to balance the swaps by catalog value.
I rarely trade 1 for 1. I start with catalog value, and adjust from there based on real world values.
I also try to be generous in my swaps, or at least fair.....I want good coin karma.
Referee for Pre-Euro Ireland
Quote: "muygrandeoso"​I rarely trade 1 for 1. I start with catalog value, and adjust from there based on real world values.
​I also try to be generous in my swaps, or at least fair.....I want good coin karma.
​Like you I'm always generous me too even if few times I received extra coins. Despite everything, I still think there is more joy in giving than in receiving.
Value for value, I have sent 3 $25 coins to acquire one $75 coin.

I have also sent 50 $1 coins to acquire two $25 coins.

1 for 1 would rarely work for me. The most important thing is to communicate well and make sure both party’s are happy.
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
Quote: "Jesse11"​I trade 1-for-1 if all of the coins have a value of $1 or less, but for more valuable coins I try to balance the swaps by catalog value.
​I basically use this method. My interests are common coins so 1 for 1 is usually the easiest.
1 for 1 usually works for me because-
1. I don't collect gold or silver.
2. I prefer coins with a history, so don't really care how banged up they are, as long as I can verify the year.
3. Have no idea what my coins are worth, or really care.

The only thing I possibly look at is eras. Late 1800's for late 1800's, etc., although after 1970 or so it is all the same to me. I suppose if I were a young person, a 1972 coin would sound old and thus more valuable...lol.

Alan
Some of us are just fascinated by small shiny objects.
Pocket change (circulating money) 1 for 1
Antique <1900 for antique
Silver for silver

No interest in euro's coinage
Cents are money too!
Value for value.

For low value coins I hold on to a bottom swap value of $0.25 each, so I will, eventually, take four coins with a catalogue value of $0.05 in exchange for a $1 coin if I really want them. There's so little gain or loss in this small stuff that it doesn't really matter much.
Quote: "ArnoV"​​For low value coins I hold on to a bottom swap value of $0.25 each, so I will, eventually, take four coins with a catalogue value of $0.05 in exchange for a $1 coin if I really want them. There's so little gain or loss in this small stuff that it doesn't really matter much.
​I do this too; I think I got the idea off your profile, ArnoV!
Topic locked (Numista Robot, 24-Jan-2019, 00:19)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:46.