How to safely clean PVC damage?

14 posts

» Quick access to the last post

You can’t really see it in this photo, but these coins have PVC damage especially on the rim, what should I do? Thanks!

Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
Here are a couple of articles that may help https://www.cointalk.com/threads/removing-pvc-damage-from-some-coins.239019/ and https://www.thespruce.com/remove-pvc-residue-from-coins-768311
There are also quite a few videos on https://www.youtube.com/ as well if you prefer visual.
I've had a few SAM sets from South Africa and they mostly had suffered from poor quality PVC although the uncirculated detail was still beautifully crisp beneath that green sweat. I found the gentle application of Pure Isopropyl Alcohol (or Rubbing Alcohol) will soak away most of the green, very often with no sign of it having been there other than a rather attractive tone to the coins.
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
Radrick, do you cover them and let them sit for an hour or what? Would bourbon work better? That way I can have a glass too....
:°
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Quote: "redsmithstudios"​Radrick, do you cover them and let them sit for an hour or what? Would bourbon work better? That way I can have a glass too....
:°
​Unfortunately, I can't comment on the Bourbon since I can't go anywhere near whisky (another story, another time!) If the green is particularly bad, I have tried putting them in an air-tite full of 99.9% pure IPA but I'm not sure it works any better. They usually just get a gentle wipe with a cotton bud and then a rinse off with mild detergent and warm water.

Ok, thanks. I’ll have these cleaned in no time!

Quote: "redsmithstudios"​Ok, thanks. I’ll have these cleaned in no time!
​It would be good to see before and after.

Acetone is your only 100% safe option, everything else carries at least some risk. If a brief dip doesn't work (it's most effective against recent discoloration) then you might try reinforcing the magic with a little physical effort and a cotton bud. That's as far as I feel comfortable in going.

If you have stronger nerves than me I reckon that the possibilities from weak acid to cheap whiskey are endless but if they worked we would have all cured our problem coins many years ago. All coins are different and the causes of the problems are many so what works like a charm one day might cause a disaster the next. In general terms though, once you go beyond the relatively benign alcohol / acetone, it can be safely assumed that silver or copper nickel coins are treated with weak acids and copper or bronze respond to oils. It's completely unpredictable but I'd say that you can increase your chances of success by following those principles.

It's borderline criminal that mints take such care to strike high quality coins and then release them to the public in the cheapest packaging available. I've got a whole bunch of those Caribbean silver proof sets churned out during the 1970s Hunt brothers feeding frenzy. The coins are still perfect and the silver crowns have toned beautifully but the cases...... oh, brother. The were released in a nice leatherette case with a plastic insert which was coated with a powder to make it look like velvet. The Florida heat destroyed the adhesive years ago leaving a good 1/4 inch of blue powder covering each of the coins. Happily it washed off with just warm water and didn't stain the coins although I had to remove the inserts and soak them to get rid of the last remnants.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Lightly dip coin with MS70 (cleaner, not grade), then pat and dry with paper towel
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
Quote: "KennyG"​Lightly dip coin with MS70 (cleaner, not grade), then pat and dry with paper towel
​Kenny, I didn’t think you were still active here after the scam scandals?

I had to do a second bath, I guess the first one had too much residue in it. They look much better, but still a green tint in the corners.
Thanks!

no pics ... ? :(

Just for you Radrick
These coins are substantially better, however I take Grammy photos. You can’t really see how bad they were, and you can’t see how much better they are now.

Thank you :) They do look a lot better!

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 21:29.