What coin is this?

8 posts
Hi,

I recently bought an old tin of British coins and I have been able to identify all but one.  

The coin is made of copper and is 26mm wide in its well-worn state.  

I think that it is Irish due to the Cláirseach (harp) with the crown above, on the tail side, but I have not been able to find any coin that matches this design close enough.  On most of the possible matches the harp arches up directly under the crown whereas on my coin the harp is flat under the crown.

On the head side there are only 4 letters visible which are; ..GIVS, which is most likely Georgivs but, again, I cannot find a match on the portrait.  The closest that I can find is George III as he is facing the correct way, unlike George II, and the portrait is very different from George I but I still could not find a match for the hair or the shape of the chin.  B.

Any help would be much appreciated   

Thanks, Phill

I have been collecting for many years but have become more absorbed in the whole coin scene recently and now have an increasingly interesting collection that I am keen to expand.
The heads alternated...in which direction they looked. So it could be George III. Date? Diameter...did you have a weight? Half Penny me thinks but I think the chin must be an error of some sort extra metal on the planchet or something?! Sorry. Just thinking out loud really. Still ZacUK...should be able to help...or anyone else?
Thanks, the weight is 4.1 grams in it's current state and It is the size of a normal half penny so I think you are correct.
I have been collecting for many years but have become more absorbed in the whole coin scene recently and now have an increasingly interesting collection that I am keen to expand.
Perhaps it's a contempory counterfeit,

Although highly unlikely, but the more I look at it, it seems like it's a Canadian token made in Ireland. So look through Canadian provinces.
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
Quote: SmartOneKgPerhaps it's a contempory counterfeit,

Although highly unlikely, but the more I look at it, it seems like it's a Canadian token made in Ireland. So look through Canadian provinces.
I have still had no luck, guess I'll never know, it could be a fake or just very rare, thanks for your help.

P
I think this is the coin, george 111 half penny, the one in the attached picture sold for £300+
hope this helps you.
regards tony
Quote: tony_k_1965I think this is the coin, george 111 half penny, the one in the attached picture sold for £300+
hope this helps you.
regards tony
Thank you very much, it looks like an earlier version of this coin, a bit rougher, not sure if I could get much for it if I was to sell it but it is good to know what I have.
That Celtic harp is a sure giveaway you are dealing with an Irish coin. It is a Hibernia half penny. Hibernia is the Latin name for the island of Ireland.  A well worn coin like yours is probably worth $15.00

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 23:12.