Links to other coins [solved]

11 posts

This message aims at: suggesting an idea to improve Numista

Upvotes: 3
Downvotes: 0

» Quick access to the last post

Hello.
Do you think that if a series of commemorative coins includes several dozen pages, do we need to link them together?
I found that the number of links to other pages is limited - I got 45 links.

Thank you.
Will bring it up an another meeting. :)
Catalogue administrator
Just a thought... This feature could become obsolete if this one (tagging) is implemented. Instead of adding explicit links to each coin sheet we would mark them all with a specific tag. This would also reduce a number of change requests when a new coin needs to be added to a "set" as in case of tagging only this new one would need to be marked with a tag and the rest of them just stay unchanged.

One other issue, kind of, with links I have is that there is no check for "itself". If there is a set of 12 coins, for example, I'd love to be able to simply copy-paste 12 links for all 12 coins but internally, when the sheets for these 12 coins are displayed, it would be detected that one of the links is the link to self and be removed (just for display purposes). The way it is today, I'd have to have a slightly different set of 11 links for each of the 12 coins.

But, as I said, I think if tags are implemented this linking feature would become obsolete.
Quote: "Jarcek"​Will bring it up an another meeting. :)
​I apologize for reminding you, but six months passed. I would like to say that we need to expect to connect at least connected United States (for example, tokens of the same series). Can you return to this question? It seems that this should not be a technically difficult improvement. Thank you.
Oh my! Sorry!!
Catalogue administrator
I think guidelines for linking should be decided upon; I've seen coin pages (like this one) that have a ridiculous amount of links... I understand sometimes coins from different issuers can be related but that's just over-doing it IMHO.

Imagine if all the Elizabeth II Silver/Golden/Diamond jubilee coins from Commonwealth Nations and beyond were linked.... that would be a nightmare!
With the feature being like this for now I think only coins that could be mistaken for other coins should be linked to help members finding the right place for their coins.
In case of commemoratives there is the possibility of the commemoration title that could group many of them together in a search.
Quote: "Idolzenz"With the feature being like this for now I think only coins that could be mistaken for other coins should be linked to help members finding the right place for their coins.
I agree !

Speaking about the links, I proposed on the French forum to have them appearing on both coins we link when we add one to a page, but I literally got no answers (at least some people seem to approve as I got few likes on the proposition).

For exemple, the following token is related to 5 others : https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces139496.html
However, we have to edit the 5 other pages to see it appearing on them and it's the case for all the coins we link on the catalog !
Almost nobody edit the other pages when we add a new coin because it's kinda laborious and that gives more notifications/work to the referees... but it's a loss of information for the catalog.

When two coins are related it should automically appear on both sides (I don't see any case where those links can go unilaterally).
Quote: "Cycnos"
Quote: "Idolzenz"With the feature being like this for now I think only coins that could be mistaken for other coins should be linked to help members finding the right place for their coins.
​I agree !

​Speaking about the links, I proposed on the French forum to have them appearing on both coins we link when we add one to a page, but I literally got no answers (at least some people seem to approve as I got few likes on the proposition).

​For exemple, the following token is related to 5 others : https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces139496.html
​However, we have to edit the 5 other pages to see it appearing on them and it's the case for all the coins we link on the catalog !
​Almost nobody edit the other pages when we add a new coin because it's kinda laborious and that gives more notifications/work to the referees... but it's a loss of information for the catalog.

​When two coins are related it should automically appear on both sides (I don't see any case where those links can go unilaterally).
​No, it should not always work like this. The explanation is here - https://en.numista.com/forum/topic70636.html.
Quote: "Cyrillius"​Hello.
​Do you think that if a series of commemorative coins includes several dozen pages, do we need to link them together?
​I found that the number of links to other pages is limited - I got 45 links.

​Thank you.
The limit has been increased, so you should not reach it anymore for big series.
Quote: "CassTaylor"​I think guidelines for linking should be decided upon; I've seen coin pages (like this one) that have a ridiculous amount of links... I understand sometimes coins from different issuers can be related but that's just over-doing it IMHO.

​Imagine if all the Elizabeth II Silver/Golden/Diamond jubilee coins from Commonwealth Nations and beyond were linked.... that would be a nightmare!
​We will work on guidelines for links. For the case you mention, tags will be more appropriate than links.
Status changed to Implemented (Xavier, 4-Jan-2020, 15:17)
Hello,
I believe we can close this topic:
  • It's now possible to add more than 45 links
  • For big series, you can now add the name of the series, which allows to find all the coin in the series without having to link them together
  • A new version of the guidelines is under preparation. Once the draft is ready, we can debate further about which coins should be linked.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 15:24.