How many different banknotes were there in China between 1912 and 1949

6 posts
How many banknotes were produced in the Republic of China (including Japanese puppet states, but excluding Manchukuo and Mengjiang) from the creation of the Republic of China in 1912 until the retreat of the Republican government to Taiwan in 1949?

Unrelated, but what is the difference between the denominations cash (文),Coppers/Copper coins (枚),Tiao/Diao (吊),Chuàn (串), Fen/cents (分), Dollars/Yuan (圓), and Taels (兩)?
Honestly, when you count unofficial issues, different banks/regimes issuing and counter-stamping banknotes; the number of types is at least in the thousands. I've been buying them for very cheap prices online, and I am still nowhere near finishing China.
To give you an easy answer: too many! :O
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Quote: "CassTaylor"​Honestly, when you count unofficial issues, different banks/regimes issuing and counter-stamping banknotes; the number of types is at least in the thousands. I've been buying them for very cheap prices online, and I am still nowhere near finishing China.
I personally had counted 5175 from the Shanghai Encyclopedia with ​3243 being National & Provincial and 1932 being Commercial, but I have no idea if that number is accurate as the Shanghai Encyclopedia might exclude some banknotes. I remember as a kid starting to collect food ration coupons from the People's Republic of China and I have so many different variants which inspired me to buy Chinese banknotes and then I realised that every neighbourhood in every hamlet had their own bank which discouraged me from seriously trying to collect them all. Though I still collect the ones I find the most beautiful and/or interesting.
Regarding your question about Chinese denominations, I know as referee of Hong Kong that 1 Cash/1 Mil (文) is 1/1000th of a 'Dollar/Yuan' unit (圓), which is also roughly equal to 1 Tael (don't cite me on that last part; I'm only guessing because of a 1867 trial strike 1 Tael that was the same dimensions as the 1866-68 Hong Kong Dollars.
One Fen/Cent (分) is 1/100th of a Yuan; in Chinese they also have 1 Hao (not sure what the symbol for it is), which represents 1/10th of a Yuan.

Chuàn (串) I guess, refers to when coins used to be threaded onto strings (hence the holes in Chinese cash coins), since I recall seeing the same symbol being used in reference to fish balls on sticks in Chinese restaurants.

Fun Fact; Chinese ideograms are often pictorial representations, so that last one looks like something impaled on a stick, no?

Also, don't quote me on this either, but I think '枚' is the Chinese word for 'stack'. Again, don't cite me.
Quote: "CassTaylor"​Regarding your question about Chinese denominations, I know as referee of Hong Kong that 1 Cash/1 Mil (文) is 1/1000th of a 'Dollar/Yuan' unit (圓), which is also roughly equal to 1 Tael (don't cite me on that last part; I'm only guessing because of a 1867 trial strike 1 Tael that was the same dimensions as the 1866-68 Hong Kong Dollars.
​One Fen/Cent (分) is 1/100th of a Yuan; in Chinese they also have 1 Hao (not sure what the symbol for it is), which represents 1/10th of a Yuan.

​Chuàn (串) I guess, refers to when coins used to be threaded onto strings (hence the holes in Chinese cash coins), since I recall seeing the same symbol being used in reference to fish balls on sticks in Chinese restaurants.

​Fun Fact; Chinese ideograms are often pictorial representations, so that last one looks like something impaled on a stick, no?

​Also, don't quote me on this either, but I think '枚' is the Chinese word for 'stack'. Again, don't cite me.
Fen/Cent and Cash/wén being 100th, and 1000th of a Yuan I already knew, but usually a 串 (Chuàn) is also 1000 cash coins (the coins with a square hole), and a synonym for ​串 is 吊, but 吊 is used as either 49 or 50 枚. Also note that "吊" is a very common denomination on Republican Chinese (Taiwanese) banknotes while 串 is quite rare (but common in some provinces).

as for the difference between taels and dollars I can't find anything on it and I had assumed that they are equal until I found banknotes from the Hunan Government Bank that all look almost identical denominated in "1000 Cash", "1 Dollar", "1 Silver Dollar", and "1 Tael" but the fact that they were from the same two years made me think that they could be different.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 02:36.