Unflattering portraits on coins

16 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Most rulers would usually want their portrait on coins of the realm to be as flattering as possible, but in some cases, that ended up not manifesting as well as they might have wished.

I think there was a similar thread like this one from a few years back, featuring Isabel II of Spain, but here's one of my recently acquired, visually unappealing monarchs to kick off a new thread:

Louis XVIII (1814-15, 1815-24) of France, or 'the fat pig' -Napoleon Bonaparte

I also find it quite interesting, is that like James Monroe over in the USA, he was the last wearer of the 18th century fashions (check out the hair/wig on him here; and Monroe was the last president to wear stockings I think), both doing so about a quarter into the 19th century.
Main Referee for Hutt-River
Check out germanys new 2 euro coin. A Libtards dream.

:x :x:x

Politics aside, that portrait isn't actually too bad IMO; they must've taken at least 30 years off his face by not engraving the wrinkles, no? :D
Sorry folks for what I'm about to say...

I don't like Queen Elizabeth II portrait. Especially the most recent one (4th, I think). It refrains me from buying modern coins with her effigy. I do like first two portraits, the third one is more or less ok, but the last one is just unbearable for me:

ROMAE AETERNAE
@casstaylor

the safespace-snowflakes censored his trademark......
Are you saying that it's a bad portrait because he's not holding a cigarette?

At any rate my offering is this:

I don't own one so I borrowed this photo from CoinCommunity.com.

These are the worst portraits I've ever seen on a coin. Maybe in any medium.
There's a coin loved by almost all portuguese collectors (irony here). There's good portraits, bad portraits, and there's this... thing.

Even for a stylized portrait it is very weird.
Okay, it's not a coin, but still art lol.

I'm guessing sferreira will appreciate this one too.

Quote: "sferreira"​There's a coin loved by almost all portuguese collectors (irony here). There's good portraits, bad portraits, and there's this... thing.

​Even for a stylized portrait it is very weird.

:D OH MY GOD!
ROMAE AETERNAE
This old thread has some more examples of unflattering (female) portraits):
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic19619.html
@monaseaclaid
when they insist picturing his hand a cigarette must be there.
Any german can confirn

/!\
Quote: "sferreira"​There's a coin loved by almost all portuguese collectors (irony here). There's good portraits, bad portraits, and there's this... thing.

​Even for a stylized portrait it is very weird.
​Why is it so small! :D

And @oggy I remember that statue. I can't believe he held out through the ceremony.
@druzhynets

That portrait is actually fine by my standards; but I dislike the United Kingdom's 4th and 5th portraits of QEII more:

Maybe because I've encountered more UK change in my life than Canadian, I guess?

@sferreira

That "portrait" looks more like a mintmark than a motif... and the zoom in looks more like if President Trump had a baby with the Grim Reaper! :O
Quote: "MonaSeaclaid"​Are you saying that it's a bad portrait because he's not holding a cigarette?

​At any rate my offering is this:

​I don't own one so I borrowed this photo from CoinCommunity.com.

​These are the worst portraits I've ever seen on a coin. Maybe in any medium.
No offence to Charles, but ​they honestly look like creepy neighbours in a horror film who're 'gonna git ya tonite' here! :°
Lady Di looks like she's wearing someone else's face.

Or they're both wax statues of themselves who were left out in the sun, became sentient, and now roam the streets seeking revenge.

I do find the texture on their clothing interesting though.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 00:59.