Bezel for Necklace

18 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Recently I had a relative approach me with two Newfoundland 5 cent pieces. They're nicely sealed up in some coin flips and, though they were obviously cleaned, they're in beautiful condition.

This relative knows I'm "into coins" and figured I'd know the best way to...drill holes in them and solder them together to hang them on a chain. :snif: Though I'm against the idea entirely, I've managed to convince them to at least use a bezel to reduce the damage while I convince them to scrap the idea entirely.

I've been looking on the obvious websites for something suitable but can't seem to find the right bezel.

The ideal piece:
- Is one that comes together at the top, rather than just folding over those teeth.
- Fits the 1929 and 1938 Newfoundland 5 cent pieces (15.5mm and 15.69mm, respectively). I know this is where I'm going to have to be creative, most likely aiming for the larger size and working with it to fit the smaller coin.
- Allows you to see both sides of the coin.
- I'd love it if they came with glass or some sort of clear front and back. My family is very hands-on.
- I need two.

It can come from anywhere in the world, as long as it can be shipped to Canada. As of right now there is no budget. What they've asked for is "options", but if there's one in particular that will lessen the damage more than another then I know I'll be able to argue for the extra cost.

I'm also open to any suggestions for something that would be a better option altogether.

Thank you so much!
Look for the jewelry making suppliers, something like this one:
http://www.firemountaingems.com/search/?keywords=round+bezel
There is a time for everything - Il y a un temps pour tout - Всему есть свое время - Для всього свій час, і година своя кожній справі під небом
I'm sorry - I don't really have much to add here, but reading that second paragraph, especially about what those Newfoundland cents' fate is, made me want to cry :snif:
I know. I couldn't even fake a smile when they were talking about it. My face must have been priceless. I'm guessing something like this:

They did make the mistake of leaving the coins with me so I could use them for reference. I could just "forget" the whole thing.
Quote: "CassTaylor"​I'm sorry - I don't really have much to add here, but reading that second paragraph, especially about what those Newfoundland cents' fate is, made me want to cry :snif:
​What about this?
There is a time for everything - Il y a un temps pour tout - Всему есть свое время - Для всього свій час, і година своя кожній справі під небом
Quote: "glykan"
Quote: "CassTaylor"​I'm sorry - I don't really have much to add here, but reading that second paragraph, especially about what those Newfoundland cents' fate is, made me want to cry :snif:
​​What about this?
​That actually looks kinda nice!
Quote: "CassTaylor"

​​​What about this?
​​
​​That actually looks kinda nice!

Traditional Ukrainian clothing and it looks very nice (though I would still prefer the coins to stay intact).
ROMAE AETERNAE
I think it looks beautiful. Most coin jewellery looks beautiful. Because of the coins. I prefer to enjoy the coins without destroying them, which is why I'm trying to mitigate damage as much as I can with a sealed bezel.

Those traditional outfits really are cool.
Quote: "druzhynets"​Traditional Ukrainian clothing and it looks very nice (though I would still prefer the coins to stay intact).

​Yes, it is west Ukrainian folk costume and it is very nice. Might have originated from Hungary though.
Quote: "druzhynets"​​Traditional Ukrainian clothing and it looks very nice (though I would still prefer the coins to stay intact).

​​Yes, it is west Ukrainian folk costume and it is very nice. Might have originated from Hungary though.
​One photo is from West Ukraine (100 years ago we were under the rule of Austria), while the clothing with Russian empire coins is from Central/East Ukraine, which was part of Russia back then.

It's not Hungary :)
ROMAE AETERNAE
Hello
So this is what I did not do, someone produces jewelry by imitation coins the first one is gilded and the other is gold
It's just for inspiration!

Ahoj Ivan
Quote: "druzhynets"​​One photo is from West Ukraine (100 years ago we were under the rule of Austria), while the clothing with Russian empire coins is from Central/East Ukraine, which was part of Russia back then.

​It's not Hungary :)

I agree about the second pic - it is (mostly probably) from Zakarpatje, that type of "apron jewelry" is named "salba" and - as far as I know - is usually made with the coins of Austro-Hungarian empire. The first costume (though it seems to have only Russian coins) is not really typical for central/eastern Ukraine and the name of this type of jewelry - dukach (from dukat) - kind of alludes to have some Hungarian roots.
This is what I meant but you should take it with a pinch of salt - I am in no way any kind of expert in Ukrainian costumes...
Quote: "druzhynets"​​One photo is from West Ukraine (100 years ago we were under the rule of Austria), while the clothing with Russian empire coins is from Central/East Ukraine, which was part of Russia back then.
​​
​​It's not Hungary :)

​I agree about the second pic - it is (mostly probably) from Zakarpatje, that type of "apron jewelry" is named "salba" and - as far as I know - is usually made with the coins of Austro-Hungarian empire. The first costume (though it seems to have only Russian coins) is not really typical for central/eastern Ukraine and the name of this type of jewelry - dukach (from dukat) - kind of alludes to have some Hungarian roots.
​This is what I meant but you should take it with a pinch of salt - I am in no way any kind of expert in Ukrainian costumes...
I'm not an expert in Ukrainian costumes either (despite I'm Ukrainian).​
ROMAE AETERNAE
Quote: "MIMAEL"​Hello
​So this is what I did not do, someone produces jewelry by imitation coins the first one is gilded and the other is gold
​It's just for inspiration!

​Ahoj Ivan
​I'd love it if they used some replicas. Thank you, and thank you glykan for the suggestions!
​​What about this?
​If I ever came across something like that, I would probably attempt to have the coins separated at least; it baffles me as to why they used older roubles or the bottom part of the necklace.

Must be really heavy.
Quote: "CassTaylor"

​​​What about this?
​​
​​If I ever came across something like that, I would probably attempt to have the coins separated at least; it baffles me as to why they used older roubles or the bottom part of the necklace.

​Must be really heavy.
​And not cheap either!
ROMAE AETERNAE
If you get the coins into a bezel instead of drilling holes, then you have succeeded and saved the coins! Have you talked to a local jeweler?
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
Hi, eBay com is full of coin bezel sellers. Ask and they will help you to get right bezel for your coin.

Like this one: https://www.ebay.com/usr/honoredallies?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Hi,
I collect coins and stamps.
Please feel free to drop by to my blog: http://www.keraily.info

Thanks!

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 15:33.