1896 10 Rappen - Why only 16? [solved]

14 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I was just looking at the mint dates of my Swiss 10 Rappen and noticed that the entry for 1896B only has a mintage of 16. I'm really curious about where this number has come from and the story behind the reason for such a low mintage. I've done some googling but have so far come up blank. Does anyone here know?
I do not know the reason for the low mintage, but other coins of 1896 are also rare.
1 Rappen- 36 minted
2 Rappen- 20 Minted
5 Rappen- 16 Minted
10 Rappen- 16 MInted
20 Rappen- 1,000 Minted
½ Franc- 28 Minted
1 Franc- 28 Minted
2 Francs- 20 Minted
5 Francs- 2,000 Minted

Would have been nice to have a MInt set of 1898
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
Quote: "COINMAN1"​I do not know the reason for the low mintage, but other coins of 1896 are also rare.
​1 Rappen- 36 minted
​2 Rappen- 20 Minted
​5 Rappen- 16 Minted
​10 Rappen- 16 MInted
​20 Rappen- 1,000 Minted
​½ Franc- 28 Minted
​1 Franc- 28 Minted
​2 Francs- 20 Minted
​5 Francs- 2,000 Minted

​Would have been nice to have a MInt set of 1898
Interesting, thanks for this. I guess something happened at the Swiss mint/s on 1896.

Did you mean a mint set of 1896? That would be nice, also very expensive I imagine!
According to my old Krause catalogue, 1898 Mint Sets were minted, but it does not state how many.
If you had one, I assume you could retire.
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
Ah, I see.
Wouldn't that be nice! :O
I like to think that year they were having an event, so they only struck a few coins to hand out as presents.
Quote: "CassTaylor"​I like to think that year they were having an event, so they only struck a few coins to hand out as presents.
Probably so,
It'd be nice to get one wouldn't it!:)
          'We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.'
                                                      Sir Winston Churchill
From Numispedia.de
Google translation (not enough time to do it myself):
In 1896, only 20 centimes and 20 francs were stamped in gold for circulation.
This year the World Expo took place in Geneva and the Federal Mint was represented there with a booth to offer coinage and medals for third countries. In order to be able to show current examples from the production program, a small number of pieces with the year 1896 were particularly carefully coined by all nominals. Some of these pieces went as a souvenir to employees of the coin after the exhibition and thus came into circulation.
Today, these extremely rare pieces are very sought after.
In the literature is often an embossing number of 2000 copies for the 5 franc piece indicated. This number can not be correct, because such a number pieces do not appear anywhere. Realistically, about 20 copies exist.

Original:
Im Jahr 1896 wurden nur 20 Rappen und 20 Franken in Gold für den Umlauf geprägt.
In diesem Jahr fand die Weltausstellung in Genf statt und die Eidgenössische Münzstätte war dort mit einem Stand vertreten um die Prägung von Münzen und Medallien für dritte Länder feilzubieten. Um aktuelle Beispiele aus dem Fertigungsprogramm zeigen zu können wurden von allen Nominalen wenige Stücke mit der Jahreszahl 1896 besonders sorgfältig geprägt. Einige dieser Stücke gingen nach der Ausstellung als Andenken an Mitarbeiter der Münze und kamen so in Umlauf.
Heute sind diese extrem seltenen Stücke sehr gesucht.
In der Literatur ist häufig eine Prägezahl von 2000 Exemplaren für das 5 Franken Stück angegeben. Diese Zahl kann nicht richtig sein, denn eine solche Anzahl Stücke taucht nirgends auf. Realistisch dürften ca. 20 Exemplare existieren.
Quote: "Idolenz"​From Numispedia.de
​Google translation (not enough time to do it myself):
​1896
​In 1896, only 20 centimes and 20 francs were stamped in gold for circulation.
​This year the World Expo took place in Geneva and the Federal Mint was represented there with a booth to offer coinage and medals for third countries. In order to be able to show current examples from the production program, a small number of pieces with the year 1896 were particularly carefully coined by all nominals. Some of these pieces went as a souvenir to employees of the coin after the exhibition and thus came into circulation.
​Today, these extremely rare pieces are very sought after.
​In the literature is often an embossing number of 2000 copies for the 5 franc piece indicated. This number can not be correct, because such a number pieces do not appear anywhere. Realistically, about 20 copies exist.

​Original:
Im Jahr 1896 wurden nur 20 Rappen und 20 Franken in Gold für den Umlauf geprägt.
​In diesem Jahr fand die Weltausstellung in Genf statt und die Eidgenössische Münzstätte war dort mit einem Stand vertreten um die Prägung von Münzen und Medallien für dritte Länder feilzubieten. Um aktuelle Beispiele aus dem Fertigungsprogramm zeigen zu können wurden von allen Nominalen wenige Stücke mit der Jahreszahl 1896 besonders sorgfältig geprägt. Einige dieser Stücke gingen nach der Ausstellung als Andenken an Mitarbeiter der Münze und kamen so in Umlauf.
​Heute sind diese extrem seltenen Stücke sehr gesucht.
​In der Literatur ist häufig eine Prägezahl von 2000 Exemplaren für das 5 Franken Stück angegeben. Diese Zahl kann nicht richtig sein, denn eine solche Anzahl Stücke taucht nirgends auf. Realistisch dürften ca. 20 Exemplare existieren.
​Nice Google-fu Idolenz! Thanks, that explains it :D
So I wasn't too far off the mark!
What do non-collectors who recieve rare coins as gifts at official ceremonies do with them, anyway?
In many cases where the mintage is so tiny that it doesn't seem worthwhile retooling the date and firing up the presses, they were made to be placed under the cornerstone of prominent buildings during that year. The most famous example of this is the minting of those six legendary 1933 pennies.

At least one attempt, by either unusually dedicated collectors or unusually innovative thieves, has been made to acquire one by drilling into the foundations of buildings dating back to 1933.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
We in Finland have our "that coin" too. Let me present you, the most worth Finnish coin that isn't a pattern: 1 markka copper 1949. About 25 minted?
Quote: "Monninen1"​We in Finland have our "that coin" too. Let me present you, the most worth Finnish coin that isn't a pattern: 1 markka copper 1949. About 25 minted?
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2371.html mentions 250 minted ... who is correct?
Let the battle begin :-D
Just call me Bram

Oh! And do read my profile page before you open a swap ...
Quote: "BramVB"
Quote: "Monninen1"​We in Finland have our "that coin" too. Let me present you, the most worth Finnish coin that isn't a pattern: 1 markka copper 1949. About 25 minted?
​​https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2371.html mentions 250 minted ... who is correct?
​Let the battle begin :-D
​Forgot the 0

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:33.