Menu

Looking for this German WWII coin [solved]

Kipsley
Hiyas. I've been looking for any information with regards the German Coin as pictured. I am new to collecting coins and have found a liking for the German WWII coins. Perhaps due to their history and perhaps also due to their "few years" in existence, making it very easy to collect them. But the one pictured alludes me. Any information would be awesome. All I can find out is that they were apparently used in non German countries where the German Army had taken over that country (and thereby supplanting their currency) during WWII. I could be wrong however. I would love to get one to add to my growing collection and to learn more about this coin.
Collector of Third Reich coins (1933 - 1946), and Australian coins.
Arnaugir
Maybe you're looking for this: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces8571.html
Kipsley
My goodness. Yes! That is the very coin. Is it only available as a 10pf? And it would seem to have only been minted in 40 to 41. Hmmm. It is also given as being ultra rare. Seems I may have to save. Lol.
VieillePile Numista team, Moderator
Hi Kipsley,

5 and 10 pfennig has been minted by the Reichskreditkasse for the soldiers fielded in all countries.
Most of them have not been spend, because it was more efficient to use local coinage (Schacht's school, see below).
You can find the selling prices at Beutler's, but pay attention, these are far ahead of the market price but give a good impression of the market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hjalmar_Schacht
http://www.beutler-muenzen.de/rubrik519.htm
Vieille Pile
Jesse11
5 Reichspfennig:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces6312.html

I think these are fairly scarce. I don't have any but I have a 1916 German military issue kopeck.
CassTaylor
These issues continue to allude me as well, at least those at prices acceptable to me. :(
Une Franglaise; ♪ je brosse ma chevelure ♫
Kipsley
Yes. Even on eBay they seem to be a rarity and when i do find them the sellers obviously know what they have got as they are super expensive. I found one stating the coin he had was VF (very fine?), yet the image shown was of a coin that was very dull and pock-marked looking as if some kind of acid had been at it. Some areas of one side looked to even have been eaten away. Even so, he wanted a pretty penny for it, and more than i would be prepared to spend upon such a coin in that kind of condition.
Pcoetzee5
Hi Kipsley

Finding any in a reasonable condition is a fete in itself. They are Tin, so very easily corrodable. I happend to have found one on a fleamarket on day.

None the less, happy hunting, and if I happen to find a double, I will Keep you in mind for a swap.

Philip
Ex-South African now living in Germany
COINMAN1
These two coins are in my collection

They are not Tin, but Zinc.
Both of mine are 1940A, which is the highest mintage of the type, but quite a few millions were minted in total.
I bought both of these at a London coin fair around 10 years ago, and the were expensive even then, and had not seen any up to that time, and have never seen any since.
Best of luck with your search
There seems to be a few collectors who have these coins for exchange on the Numista website
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
VieillePile Numista team, Moderator
40 millions of the 5 pf and 23 millions of the 10 pf coin have been minted within 2 years and over the 6 operating mints.

They have been dispatched to the troopers all over the occupied Europe. Goal was to provide the invading soldiers with cash for their daily life, which happened in France, for instance. The exchange rate was fixed and forced, much higher that the real market conditions (20 french francs for 1 reichsmark, versus 11 to 1 in the real life).

But Money is a very serious issue for germans, including in war time (deutsch mark still have their pre-euro value and you can get reimbursed by the bundesbank; a coin is a government's debt to the bearer) . All these coins were guaranteed by the government, which could potentially result in a cash out. So, these zinc coins still represented a financial risk ....

Since locals were reluctant to use the invaders' currency and willing to mint their own, the german government (and the war bank, the reichskreditkasse) accepted and withdrew its coins, while occupied territories were to pay some "petty cash", or "travel expenses" to the reich. It ammounted to 400 millions francs a day in France (representing 1/3 to 1/2 of the GDP each yeat during 4 years)....

To go deeper (unfortunately partially in french):

https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00652826/document
http://archives.investir.fr/2007/jdf/20070901ARTHBD00071-l-occupation-de-l-armee-allemande-va-ruiner-la-france.php
Vieille Pile
Oklahoman
It would be nice if the ref removed all the very rare and ultra rare designations from this listing.
halfdisme
These coins are also scarce to rare in the U. S. market. I hunted these for about 16 years, then found six of them in about a year!

All I have are 10 Reichpfennigs 1940 A.

Also difficult to locate are the Allied Occupation issues of 1945-1948 for Germany. They are the same designs as the Nazi coins, except that there is no swastika below the eagle. (Everybody is hunting the coin illustrated in the catalogs, which shows part of the eagle's tailfeathers missing!) I have found 1, 5 and 10 pfennigs of these issues--but only six coins in total!
Kipsley
Wow! Just from this thread I learned a huge amount about the above given coin. I even managed to find one online and buy it (Yay for me!!). A 1940 A 10 Reichspfenning (I hate trying to spell that) and it's not in bad condition.
halfdisme
Congratulations!

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 08:26PM.