Menu

Nickel-plated zinc in our coin future?

edduns
I read this interesting article and wanted to share. Ed

http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/nickel-plated-zinc-coin-future
Those who believe they can do something and those who believe they can't are both right.
- Henry Ford
Peter M. Graham
Good read.

On a personal basis, I sometimes wish they would replace the nickel-plated with the copper-plated coin. Doesn't look like it is ever going to go that way. Nickel seems like a cheap mock-up of silver to me. Copper is beautiful.
We were so busy deciding whether we could, we never asked ourselves whether we should!
css73
I agree that copper is very pretty, but I also like the copper nickel coins. They seem to retain a lot of luster. I much prefer silver, but some of my favorite coins are copper-nickel.

Just my two cents worth.
C. Scott Stewart
Jeffersonville, IN, USA
Cerulean
Zinc coins don't age well. I would rather see stainless steel, like the Italians used for decades.
cheeseguy99
Ever seen a zinc coin from the 40s? You can hardly make them out
css73
Zinc coins are weird. They loose their finish a lot of the time, but some of those are cool looking if they retain their details.

I like the stainless steel Italian coins and the copper nickel French coins. They're both pretty and seem to hold up well.

I think it would be interesting to see some titanium coins. Not sure how that would look, but I think it would last.
C. Scott Stewart
Jeffersonville, IN, USA
cheeseguy99
Quote: "css73"
​Zinc coins are weird. They loose their finish a lot of the time, but some of those are cool looking if they retain their details.

​I like the stainless steel Italian coins and the copper nickel French coins. They're both pretty and seem to hold up well.

​I think it would be interesting to see some titanium coins. Not sure how that would look, but I think it would last.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces27559.html
a titanium coin
css73
That is very cool. Thanks for sharing the link to the titanium coin. I may have to pick one of those up. :-)
C. Scott Stewart
Jeffersonville, IN, USA
cheeseguy99
Quote: "css73"​That is very cool. Thanks for sharing the link to the titanium coin. I may have to pick one of those up. :-)
​just search titanium. You’ll see all sorts of wacky coins. Some blue titanium

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 10:22PM.