Page Editing With Better Pictures

11 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I feel like I am surrounded by so many experts, that there is little for me to contribute.
However, I occasionally see a coin picture that may not be as clear as one I could provide.
Is the proper process to simply submit the photos on the editing form?
Mostly I'm looking at Oriental Cash coins.
Thanks
A smart man learns from his mistakes.  A smarter man learns from someone else's.
Hi Kurt53 ... Yes if you have better images of existing coins please upload them using this option at the bottom of the coin page .....

Contribute to the catalogue
Modify or add data about this coin

A Referee for the country in question will have a look at your contribution and validate it if they agree that it is an improvement.

Cheers Mike
Referee for Australia & New Zealand Coins & Exonumia, Papua New Guinea & Cocos & Keeling Islands Coins & Australian Banknotes. I Collect > Australia, UK & Dependancies, NZ Sets, USA & Euros plus Misc Exonumia.
Yes, it's basically as simple as Mike put it!

Heads up though, as a referee I find it frustrating and annoying to say the least when someone submits photos (whether better or worse quality than the original photo) that are uncropped.

I usually reject those unless there was no photo already available.
By cropped what do you mean?
For round coins I can round crop them, but cash coins are a little irregular and have the hole.
Trying a round crop leaves the edges fuzzy and the center hole off color.
​I've been submitting a close square crop like this one, but with the auto color adjust it often leaves a slightly pastel background...
A smart man learns from his mistakes.  A smarter man learns from someone else's.
I use a program called GIMP to do very good round crops of round coins. It is free to download.

However the example you posted above looks perfectly acceptable to me.

Cheers Mike
Referee for Australia & New Zealand Coins & Exonumia, Papua New Guinea & Cocos & Keeling Islands Coins & Australian Banknotes. I Collect > Australia, UK & Dependancies, NZ Sets, USA & Euros plus Misc Exonumia.
Thanks brismike,
I can round crop with Irfanview as well, but the coins aren't always round.
I keep doing the square crop and not let better be the enemy of good.
Hi Kurt

What I actually do is first of all Square crop whatever coin I am uploading using Paint shop Pro 5 as close as I can get it.

Then I round crop them using Gimp.

Then if I have to do further editing, such as on a 12 sided Australian 50 cent, I go back to Paint Shop Pro and manually edit them.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces8327.html ..... << Example

Can be time consuming but the end results are usually worth it.

Cheers Mike
This is what I could do, but it is time consuming.
Start with a square crop, and then round crop. It doesn't quite fit the coin, and the rough edges show the difference in color. Close careful work can fix most of that.
Then the center has to be treated much the same way.
I should learn how to use other post processing programs, but frankly I don't want to put in the time right now.
Part of the difficulty is the learning curve. Most instructional videos are created by individuals that know how to do something, not by people that know how to teach something.
In all likelihood, there will be more changes and upgrades as I go along.
So for now, maybe good enough will suffice.

My next stumbling block is Oriental Characters.
I have a few coins (Korean) that are not in the Numista data base.
But how to type the Oriental characters is something of a mystery.
Thanks again.
The first cropped coin (with the slightly pastel background) is quite OK, to be honest!

As for East Asian characters, I use this online English-Chinese dictionary that lets you draw a character and then select the one that looks the most like it from a list, which in turn lets me copy and paste it.

http://ce.linedict.com/dict.html#/cnen/home
Hi Kurt,

I had a quick look to some of your pictures requests for China Empire coins and cropping is fine. Don't worry too much for background, I crop almost all pictures of files I treat and remove background when there is. ;)
I'm more into the quality of the picture itself: big enough to help members, legible characters/details, not blurry, no pixelization, etc.

Hint for your next pictures if you don't want to remove background and bother with softwares: just take the picture on a white paper sheet.
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
Quote: "pejounet"​Hi Kurt,

​I had a quick look to some of your pictures requests for China Empire coins and cropping is fine. Don't worry too much for background, I crop almost all pictures of files I treat and remove background when there is. ;)
​I'm more into the quality of the picture itself: big enough to help members, legible characters/details, not blurry, no pixelization, etc.

​Hint for your next pictures if you don't want to remove background and bother with softwares: just take the picture on a white paper sheet.
Totally agree
it would leave me a little less to deal with
Volunteers ?
to see https://en.numista.com/forum/topic49676.html
BOINC

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:31.