Menu

Why is this "coin" in British India? [solved]

CassTaylor
Was adding a few new coins to my collection today when I clicked on British India and saw this on top:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces131923.html

This clearly belongs in tokens, no?
Une Franglaise; ♪ je brosse ma chevelure ♫
Numismatist uk
That's it moved now...
Coin collector and Silver stacker
'We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.'
Sir Winston Churchill
CassTaylor
Quote: "Numismatist uk"​That's it moved now...
​Ok, marked solved.
vikram216
Quote: "CassTaylor"​Was adding a few new coins to my collection today when I clicked on British India and saw this on top:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces131923.html

​This clearly belongs in tokens, no?
​Rarity 97??
I could get one for little more than $0.50
(But I need to check for fakes )
COINMAN1
Rarity of 97 means that only one person has it in their Numista collection, although, thousands of collectors could have one, but not added it yet. I think I have one, but really think it is a fake, so will not tick the relevant box.
CassTaylor
Quote: "COINMAN1"​Rarity of 97 means that only one person has it in their Numista collection, although, thousands of collectors could have one, but not added it yet. I think I have one, but really think it is a fake, so will not tick the relevant box.
​There isn't a fake of these tokens; they themselves are not fakes, since no genuine coin was ever issued bearing those particulars. They're temple tokens, cheaply produced privately for sale to tourists.
Essor Prof
Quote: "vikram216"​​​Rarity 97??
​I could get one for little more than $0.50

​It's not a coin but a token. Therefore most of the members here don't collect it, hence a high Numista Rarity Index.
You have to take the Numista Rarity Index for what it is: a piece of information about how many members here have a certain coin/token. In my opinion it's very interesting information, especially for regular/common coins but don't take the word "Rarity" in Numista Rarity Index too literally:
- Tokens mostly have a high NRI, not because they are rare but because only few members collect it.
- Gold coins in general have a high NRI, not because they are rare but because they are very expensive and not everyone can afford (or is willing to pay for) any/many gold coins.
- NCLT's in general have a high NRI, not because they are rare but because they are expensive and because a lot of members dislike them and don't collect them.

So don't think to quickly you have an exceptional coin, just because it has a high NRI.
halfdisme
To be technical, the NRI does not indicate how many members actually own a particular coin; it only indicates how many members have reported that they own that particular coin.

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 10:03PM.