Brass or copper strikes of chinese Sun Yat-sen junk dollars

4 posts
Hello,
I recently got those 2 token-medals because of the ship design.
They have the design and the same size - 39 mm - of the chinese Sun Yat-sen junk dollars, the second as one of the patterns.
Does anyone have some info about those ? I have just found on internet that rare copper patterns existed but those look more like brass copies.

Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
Unfortunately some of many different modern fakes that are flooding eBay
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
How much were they and where did you get them from? If the answer isn't an auction house or high-end dealer, then it's 99.99% chances of them being fakes/ reproductions in copper.

I happen to know the second coin (dated 1929) is supposed to be a Chinese trial strike of the Junk Dollar made by a British mint, and that was in silver if I recall correctly, so that's at least kinda interesting.
Hello,
Given the price I paid and what they look like, I am quite aware they are not "genuine" (which sell for 1000s of $). But I would not call that fake. They are just reproductions of something that don't try to hide it. Unless they were meant at some point to be covered with a thin layer of silver :D and ... The first is dated year 24 (1936) which is not any of the years of the known silver coins.
HA sold a copper pattern for those https://coins.ha.com/itm/china/china-republic-sun-yat-sen-copper-pattern-trial-strike-junk-dollar-year-23-1934-ms61-brown-ngc-/a/3058-37173.s
I am just curious because I don't find any reference to those copies on any internet resource.
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:54.