1 Cash Qianlong Boo-jyi? -- help in exact identification

9 posts
Sorting through a random selection of coins, mostly consisting of recent pre-Euro European ones, suddenly found this.

It is well worn off, the material seems to be a yellowish brass/bronze of some kind. Diameter is 24 mm, edge is smooth, thickness about 1 mm, weight 4.00+/-0.01 g (which is a bit weird, but may be just a coincidence given the wear). Medal alignment.

It seems to me that the characters on the obverse are:

寶 通
 隆

(Qianlong Tong bao or Ch'ien-lung T'ung-pao)
just like on these two coins:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces19927.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces45597.html

which attributes the coin to the reign of Qianlong, the 6th emperor of the Qing dynasty (Manchu), 1736-1795.

And the Manchu characters on the reverse are very similar to these two coins too (Boo-ji and Boo-jyi). The size and weight also seem close, but not exactly so. The clearly visible middle loop in the right Manchu character makes it "jyi" rather than "ji", I guess? But the thickness of only 1 mm and the larger diameter is too far from the Qianlong Boo-jyi as it is described in the Numista catalog (d = 21 mm, h = 2 mm, w = 4.16 g)

So, my first question is, how likely is it for this coin to be genuine? I mean, it probably makes no sense to fake such a low-value coin, but who knows what the Chinese tourist industry is capable of? 18th century and all... The weight of exactly 4 g might indicate modern standards of industrial fabrication...

And, second, if it is genuine, can you please help me to figure out what it is? Thank you!
Maybe 2 cash?
only a suggestion
Is there such a thing? And shouldn't there be a symbol for 2 somewhere in this case? Anyway, in that period the next coin seems to be 5 cash, at least according to the local catalog (which, I think, is very comprehensive). But I cannot really argue, all I know on the subject I found here :)
Looks very genuine to me - I have a number in my collection. It is definitely a 1 Cash - Qianlong Boo-jyi

Enjoy!
Long time collector with huge double coin selection. Has huge selection of Japanese historic coins. Trade based on KM catalog values.
There are many many variations for these coins, in writing, dimensions and weight.
Also you can find many (contemporary) replica, made as charm.
It is difficult to be sure ....
http://www.sportstune.com/chinese/coins/chienlung.html
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Thank you for your replies! And for the great resource reference. OK, so there were some diameter/thickness/weight variations. As for the lucky charms, that's quite unfortunate -- because a fake coin worn or carried as a charm would show the same signs of wear as if it were in circulation... Oh, well, I guess I'll never know then...
Genuine for sure, in my opinion.
Referee of south atlantic islands
Wow! Thank you.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:45.