A new King of the Empire?

20 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Queen Elizabeth has publicly stated that she is ready to abdicate the British throne to the Prince of Wales. Given this would place the image of "King Charles" upon new coins, is it worth collecting the last set of Queen Elizabeth coins and then the first set of King Charles coins?

I would imagine that "Lasts" and "Firsts" would be highly collectable.
Collector of Third Reich coins (1933 - 1946), and Australian coins.
Not swapping at this time.
Quote: "Kipsley"​Queen Elizabeth has publicly stated that she is ready to abdicate the British throne to the Prince of Wales. Given this would place the image of "King Charles" upon new coins, is it worth collecting the last set of Queen Elizabeth coins and then the first set of King Charles coins?

​I would imagine that "Lasts" and "Firsts" would be highly collectable.
​I couldn't find any source that says she's abdicating.... only ones that say she's named/confirmed Charles as her successor (which was most likely the case beforehand anyhow). No source I could find has given a date for the Queen's abdication in the near future.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4785166/Is-Queen-preparing-abdicate.html
? Format  Format  Format ?   ?
Do not argue with ignorant people .. !! They will drag you down to their level, then pulverize you with experience ...
"Empire". hahaha
Quote: "derf"http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4785166/Is-Queen-preparing-abdicate.html
​That source doesn't say the Queen's going to abdicate; it actually explicitly states it's something she's "vowed never to do".

"Palace sources have indicated that the Queen has told her inner circle that, if she is still on the throne at the age of 95, she will ask for a piece of legislation called the Regency Act to come into force – granting her eldest son full power to reign even while she still lives. "

This would be more like the last years of the reign of "mad" George III, where he was still king and his portrait appeared on British coinage as usual, but from 1811-20 his eldest son (later George IV) was acting as Prince Regent.
Perhaps my first post on this thread was badly worded. My bad. Not wanting to get into the politics of the British Monarchy or into a discussion upon the popularity (or lack of) with regards the Monarchy, my question was purely one about coin collecting.

Is it worth collecting the last set of coins with the image of Queen Elizabeth II upon them, and then to also collect the first set of coins that would carry the image of her successor (whoever that may be)?

In time I imagine such a set would be worth something.
Quote: "Kipsley"​Perhaps my first post on this thread was badly worded. My bad. Not wanting to get into the politics of the British Monarchy or into a discussion upon the popularity (or lack of) with regards the Monarchy, my question was purely one about coin collecting.

​Is it worth collecting the last set of coins with the image of Queen Elizabeth II upon them, and then to also collect the first set of coins that would carry the image of her successor (whoever that may be)?

​In time I imagine such a set would be worth something.
​Not sure such a grouping of coins would command any premiums in the numismatic market. I’m sure there are many royal enthusiasts that would shell out big money for a special presentation folder with the last and first coins in uncirculated condition. At the end of the day they are still only worth what someone is willing to pay. I have one dollar notes from Hong Kong dated 6 months apart in 1952 from when George passed. It’s interesting to see how quickly new banknotes got issued with Elizabeth but I really see no premium in having the two notes paired together. Incidentally here in Thailand I have the last notes and coins with Rama 9 and see little prospect of making money off of pairing rama 9 and 10 coins. My suggestion is if you want last and first for your collection go for it. The value is in the eye of the beholder.
Quote: "7doktor"​"Empire". hahaha
​not really an" Empire" doktor haha, but more of a commonwealth that covers a third of the worlds population, Russia being less than 2% of the worlds population, surely you can understand there are a lot of people that would collect coins with the queens head
people talking without speaking, people hearing without listening
Quote: "Kipsley"
​No,
there are so many millions struck of those coins, that they will never be scarce or valuable, even if the change from one regent to the other happens in the same year.
Ole
Globetrotter
Coin varieties in French:
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com
Quote: "Sjoelund"
Quote: "Kipsley"
​​No,
​there are so many millions struck of those coins, that they will never be scarce or valuable, even if the change from one regent to the other happens in the same year.
​Ole
​I agree, even with the "BRITT:OMN" variant in first-year (1953) issues of UK coins bearing Queen Elizabeth II's portrait, they command barely any premium over the other issues. I'm sure there's gonna be first year souvenir sets, either privately put together or officially by the Royal Mint, but I don't think there's gonna be much going for them after that.
Ironically, sometimes there is so much demand for the coinage of the first year of a type (or a reign), that it is the coinage of the second year that is much more valuable in the long run, due to lower mintages.
You may be quite right halfdisme. I note on the Third Reich coinage that I collect that in 1936 the design changed to the eagle and swastika. The 1936 Weimar coins carry little value, yet the new "incoming" Third reich coins were low mintage for 1936 and so many are classed as rare today and the market value of them reflects that.

Maybe that could also be the way for the new incoming British coins (when they are minted). I guess it shall be exciting to see.
Why suddenly start collecting coins with QEII? There are literally billions of coins with her picture on them and they're not going to be melted down when she pegs out, so there's not going to be any issue buying them after her death and there's not going to be a huge spike in their value after her death.
What? Me Worry
Quote: "neilithicman"​Why suddenly start collecting coins with QEII? There are literally billions of coins with her picture on them and they're not going to be melted down when she pegs out, so there's not going to be any issue buying them after her death and there's not going to be a huge spike in their value after her death.
​Interesting to hear you say they are not going to be melted down, the British royal mint have been recycling coins for a while for the metal content, melting down any coins they can get their hands on. The round pound is an example, they have melted down millions already as they move towards plated steel content in all coins, it's down to collectors to hoard them before the mint melt down the lot, the mintage figures for British coins don't reflect the fact that over half been melted down already. The Royal Mint have made it clear they intend to recycle as many coins as they can get, I'm sure this policy will carry on queen or king.
​True, but what Neil said still applies to many billions of circulating British coins from 1p to £2 that bear her head, and likely won't be subjected to the recycling that the round £1s are now after the Queen's death/abdication. Not to mention all the Canadian, Australian, New Zealand and Commonwealth circulating coinage.
Usually the coins in high grades appreciate at least with inflation, that is if they are not junk coins (like the last predecimal issues, German pfennig etc.)
Furthermore, any coin with not very high mintage that is not collected in wide range will appreciate more than inflation. That´s why e.g. 2015 2 pounds won´t be appreciating anyhow. It has a rather low mintage, but people hoard them, thus making them readily available.
Quote: "Iainmac"​Interesting to hear you say they are not going to be melted down, the British royal mint have been recycling coins for a while for the metal content, melting down any coins they can get their hands on. The round pound is an example, they have melted down millions already as they move towards plated steel content in all coins, it's down to collectors to hoard them before the mint melt down the lot, the mintage figures for British coins don't reflect the fact that over half been melted down already. The Royal Mint have made it clear they intend to recycle as many coins as they can get, I'm sure this policy will carry on queen or king.
​I saw an old Decimal Day PIF/PSA where they showed huge barrels of copper-nickel shillings, florins, and half crowns being poured into the melters to be recycled into new 5p, 10p, and 50p coins. So they have been reclaiming and melting demonetized coins for a long time now.
Quote: "Jesse11"
Quote: "Iainmac"​Interesting to hear you say they are not going to be melted down, the British royal mint have been recycling coins for a while for the metal content, melting down any coins they can get their hands on. The round pound is an example, they have melted down millions already as they move towards plated steel content in all coins, it's down to collectors to hoard them before the mint melt down the lot, the mintage figures for British coins don't reflect the fact that over half been melted down already. The Royal Mint have made it clear they intend to recycle as many coins as they can get, I'm sure this policy will carry on queen or king.
​​I saw an old Decimal Day PIF/PSA where they showed huge barrels of copper-nickel shillings, florins, and half crowns being poured into the melters to be recycled into new 5p, 10p, and 50p coins. So they have been reclaiming and melting demonetized coins for a long time now.

​The last copper penny was costing the mint 1 & 1/2 penny to make 50% over it's value, so they make them out of steel with copper plating now as with the 2p coin etc.., the new £1 is plated steel, the cost of copper, brass and nickel has risen so I think most circulated coins are likely to end up being made of plated steel to keep costs down, proof coins are still made from the more expensive metals but cost a lot more to buy... from what I have heard the royal mint intend on melting all the more expensive metal coins in time for recycling, Time will
Tell !.. Recycling is the future
As a member of the uk I can only think of the shake up that would happen to our currency.
I personally would like to see the new designs however it would be an end of an era as all my life Queen Elizabeth has been on our coin, stamps and banknotes unlike previous pre-decimal generations.
          'We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.'
                                                      Sir Winston Churchill
Quote: "Numismatist uk"​As a member of the uk I can only think of the shake up that would happen to our currency.
​I personally would like to see the new designs however it would be an end of an era as all my life Queen Elizabeth has been on our coin, stamps and banknotes unlike previous pre-decimal generations.
​Historically change of monarch has resulted in change of obverse (portrait), but only sometimes a change in the reverse designs; which can happen more than once in a reign or none at all in multiple.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 09:46.