Pennies anyone?

13 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I was cruising some auctions today and came across this one

32 shoeboxes full of 400 Kilograms of NZ, Australia and UK pennies and halfpennies, an estimated 45,000 coins

:o
What? Me Worry
Oh my God!!!

The same guy has another listing for one tonne (1000 kilograms) of pennies and halfpennies!!

https://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-collectables/coins/new-zealand-predecimal/halfpennies/auction-1608749995.htm?rsqid=eae814ce85664bedbf0a9586eaa45ae4
What? Me Worry
Reminds me of the Hunt brothers. I don't know the whole story, but I believe they bought up the world's silver (all they could get their hands on) driving up the price, and then selling... Think the U.S. government put a stop to that sh*t real quick.

Anybody know the whole story?
I'm 100% convinced that somewhere out there is a noober asking for a list of dates and photos of each coin.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Quote: "pnightingale"​I'm 100% convinced that somewhere out there is a noober asking for a list of dates and photos of each coin.
:D
What? Me Worry
I have died and went to penny heaven . God that make me look normal.
It is, what it is, or is it.
Quote: "johnspa"​Reminds me of the Hunt brothers. ....

​Anybody know the whole story?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Thursday
I sell my Duplicate or Un-Needed coins on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/str/coinsandmorenj.
Whatever their ethical shortcomings I will always be grateful to the Bros. Hunt for giving me my first substantial financial stake at a very young age.

A friend, co-worker and fellow collector and I noticed small ads in the numismatic press offering 3x face value for pre-1947 silver coins, and we saw the opportunity and grabbed it with both hands. We scraped together as much money as we could beg, steal or borrow, skipped out of work and took off in his Del Boy style Reliant Robin. We mostly slept in the car, ate junk food or cooked by the side of the road on an old primus stove and every morning we'd be rolling into a new town to get as much loose change from the banks as we could carry. I'd guess that at that time 1 coin in 10 was at least 50% silver, occasionally a .925 sterling silver pre 1920 coin turned up. We spent the mornings bringing bagfuls of coins back to the car where we sifted out the silver and in the afternoon we bagged up the copper nickel, cashed it in and set off down the road.

We went as far North as Glasgow before heading South to Birmingham. Eventually we ran out of funds and returned home with the Robin spluttering on fumes, tired, dirty, hungry and really sick of each other's company but with a small fortune in junk silver. Having been largely out of touch with the world in those pre-internet days we were delighted to learn that junk silver was now being snapped up between 10 to 12 x face value. We knew we'd made a fortune but ended up with 4x the amount we were expecting. You bet we were happy.

Our weekly wages were around £20, after paying for food, travel and an occasional stay in a hotel when the armpit smell got too bad we ended up with over £4,000 between us. To put that figure into perspective, three years later I bought my first house for £7,200. The same house sold in 2016 for £208,000. Among the junk silver we turned up some really nice coins ranging from Edward VII to George V in close to perfect state. We kept those of course. He bought a car with four wheels, I bought a Norton Commando and a Vespa.

Happy days. (except for bell bottoms and hairy women)
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Neil, please get me both of these lots!

Phil, there's nothing wrong with a little al natural
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
Quote: "redsmithstudios"​Neil, please get me both of these lots!

​Phil, there's nothing wrong with a little al natural
​Shipping costs to the US might be a bit prohibitive ;)
What? Me Worry
You’ve always wanted to learn to sail right?
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
Quote: "redsmithstudios"​You’ve always wanted to learn to sail right?
:D
What? Me Worry
There is a possibility that whomever buys it will melt them down for their metal value.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 18:59.