Guilder v.s. Gulden [solved]

9 posts
Recently I noticed this as the referee for Demerara and Essequibo, which issued Dutch currency coins, and I noticed all the coins there were denominated (in title) "X Guilder", but it is all "X Gulden" in the Netherlands catalogue.

I'm not sure how this is applied in Dutch, which is the correct one, and which one should we use consistently?
I thought the English plural was Guilders.

This makes it rather confusing to me
I don’t know how it is in the Netherlands but in Germany it is always Gulden.
1/2 Gulden, 1 Gulden, 5 Gulden...
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Quote: "jokinen"​I thought the English plural was Guilders.

​This makes it rather confusing to me
​I'm honestly not sure.

A Dutch member I consulted with informed me that "Gulden" can be used in Dutch for singular and plural amounts, (1 Gulden, 2 Gulden) and that "Guilder(s)" is the English name.
English singular = Guilder and plural = Guilders
Dutch singular = Gulden and plural = Guldens.

Higher then 1 Gulden denominations can both be called 2.5 Gulden (as a 2.5 Gulden coin) or 2.5 Guldens (as in worth 2.5 Guldens). I would think the same applies if using the English word, but I suggest using the Dutch name.

So 2.5 Gulden (or Rijksdaalder) is correct in Dutch.
Special interest in Coins from the Low countries (Feudal-present). Former numista referee for Low Countries Feudal, Burgundian Netherlands, Spanish Netherlands, Dutch Republic, Netherlands and Netherlands East Indies.
Thanks @Michaelw90!

So I put the question forward: Which one should we use for catalogue? At the moment the coins of D&E are all English "Guilder", and Netherlands Dutch "Gulden". I've started renaming all the D&E coins Dutch "Gulden".
Yes thats the way to do it, I will also not rename all German Pfennig coins into Penny.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
I suggest using the Dutch name. The Dutch name is also used for example for the Netherlands East Indies.
Special interest in Coins from the Low countries (Feudal-present). Former numista referee for Low Countries Feudal, Burgundian Netherlands, Spanish Netherlands, Dutch Republic, Netherlands and Netherlands East Indies.
Quote: "Michaelw90"​I suggest using the Dutch name. The Dutch name is also used for example for the Netherlands East Indies.
​Ok, all done!
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/essequebo-demarary-1.html

All coin pages with "Guilder" are now "Gulden".

Thanks to everyone for helping me out so late at night.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 08:48.