K. S. Scheide Munze 2 neu groschen 20 pfennige coin dtd 1852

13 posts

» Quick access to the last post

The above coin is well worn but readable with mag. glass. There is no sign of the F mint on this coin, no bump or any visible abrasions to erase it. Is this possible?
Are there coins of this year and description without the F mint?
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces34209.html

I don't think so. Would be interested to see pictures.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Certainly possible, especially with a "worn" coin as you describe it.

Perhaps it (the F mintmark) has worn off so completely there's no trace. Pictures would be great too.
I don't know how to enlarge here. Maybe you have better tech skills to enlarge. Am able to do it in my pics but not here.
Maybe this might help.

Those who believe they can do something and those who believe they can't are both right.
- Henry Ford

can you see the second line " _ " of F?
Still can't see any trace of a F at all, but your coin looks fine, just very beat up to me.
agree, nothing remains of the raised dentiled rim, so the F is just worn off too.
I agree the raised dental is worn off but less than an eight of an inch from the pfennig lettering where little wear shows how could the F (raised about as high as the lettering) be completely gone? Puzzling even with a light strike of the F.
Quote: "bobreynolds"​I agree the raised dental is worn off but less than an eight of an inch from the pfennig lettering where little wear shows how could the F (raised about as high as the lettering) be completely gone? Puzzling even with a light strike of the F.
​It's not impossible at all.

It might have been deliberately done if the rest of the coin were in XF+, but for a coin as worn as yours it's more than possible.
thanks for all the input.
look at the outside of the big G, it is completely gone too, just where most of the F should be.
Quote: "Mr. Midnight"​look at the outside of the big G, it is completely gone too, just where most of the F should be.
​+1

I see the F just fine, for what it's worth. It just wore down a lot because it's so close to the edge.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 10:32.