Menu

Stripey Lustre

» Quick access to the last post

Iainmac
Hi, Come across several of these british coins over the years with stripey lustre,most of them from the early 1900's is there anybody out there that collects these copper coins just for there unusual lustre? some of them are very attractive, all unique in there own way as there all different

The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor, Is king o' men for a' that.
Kipsley
They do look awesome. I wonder what makes a coin go like that?
Collector of Third Reich coins (1933 - 1946), and Australian coins.
Iainmac
Quote: "Kipsley"​They do look awesome. I wonder what makes a coin go like that?
​Not sure what makes the coin go like that, you can find forums talking about streaky or stripey lustre, most of the answers sound like fantasy rather than fact, think it's something to do with the metal mix but don't quote me on that! 8. .
ALLRED1950
They are called wood grain. It is an alloy mix I think. Some people love , but some hate. We have talk a lot about these in the forum, should be able to find more about them.
AT THIS TIME IAM NO LONGER SWAPPING. I need too put things in order. And take some time off. Thank you yours daryl
Iainmac
Quote: "ALLRED1950"​ They are called wood grain. It is an alloy mix I think. Some people love , but some hate. We have talk a lot about these in the forum, should be able to find more about them.
​Thanks ALLRED, did read somewhere they where called wood grain in the US ( makes sense) UK tend to call them streaky or stripey lustre from what I could find, will use the term wood grain from now on, like it!
Mr. Midnight
I like them too. Definitely an alloy mixing issue, tin (and/or zinc) not completely dissolved before rolling.
I have just one, a US cent.

you can see how the streaks are visible right through the planchet.
Bonaparte instituted the setting of merit above birth, and completely stripped the divinity from royalty, whereas crowned heads in Europe were gods before, they are only men now, and can never be gods again, and answerable for their acts.
Iainmac
Quote: "Mr. Midnight"​I like them too. Definitely an alloy mixing issue, tin (and/or zinc) not completely dissolved before rolling.
​I have just one, a US cent.

​you can see how the streaks are visible right through the planchet.
​Like that, the UK penny is more on the surface, coin on the left and middle picture is the same coin.
ALLRED1950
Hi lainmac, I am sorry if I came across big headed. Wood grain or stripey lustre. It is all good. Welcome to the site, I am always late. I am thinking zinc has a lot to do with it. You can find it in Zinc coins too

I do love the way it looks.
yours daryl
AT THIS TIME IAM NO LONGER SWAPPING. I need too put things in order. And take some time off. Thank you yours daryl
Iainmac
Hi Daryl, it's all good my friend, you didn't come across as big headed at all, you never stop learning about coins, I've been collecting and selling coins for a long time but there's always something new to find out, Numista is a great site to learn more, even if it appears that newcomers are recycling old posts to gain a bit of knowledge it's all good.
ALLRED1950
Hi Lainmac
Just to busy, can only play with my coins on the weekend. Yes you will never learn everything. On looking at old post, I do it all the time , help on finding more on a coin.
pnightingale
Woodies! I can only suppose that the characteristic streaking wasn't apparent on newly minted coins and only became noticeable once they were exposed to the rigors of circulation.

Not really my thing, I get rid of them as fast as I can. I've always viewed any type of error coins as impaired and usually pretty ugly and the whole thing is lost on me. To each his own I reckon, I have several friends who just love these type of things so I'm happy for them to have them. As some who collects Leper Colony tokens it would be a bit hypocritical of me to question anyone else's collecting ambitions, in fact I'd love to help y'all reach them. If really pressed I guess I could admit to a certain schadenfreude warmth at seeing an embarrassing error from one of the world's premier mints escaping into the wild.

I have noticed that it's not just restricted to badly mixed alloys, it also seems to be only a few series where it occurs. US wheat cents and British KGV farthings and to a much lesser extent Pennies from the same period plus a few wartime zincs are the ones which spring most readily to mind. Has anyone else noticed this?
Non illegitimis carborundum est (don't let the bastards wear you down). Excellent advice for all coins.
Supreme Ruler and Dictator for Life of the 6th Avenue Coin, Stamp  & Rice Puller Club. President, Boss & Top Dawg for Hutt River.
Mr. Midnight
yes, almost always due to war-time stress.
Bonaparte instituted the setting of merit above birth, and completely stripped the divinity from royalty, whereas crowned heads in Europe were gods before, they are only men now, and can never be gods again, and answerable for their acts.
arvin11
This is a type of error during production of sheet metal forming for minting of coins, for understanding this you have to understand how coins are minted. Coins are minted from sheets of metal roll. These sheets are made from a large chunk of metal which are rolled in rollers to make it flat sheet to different thickness. During this rolling process the thin layers of metal get pressed one upon another during rolling process - it usually occur in the starting point and end of the sheet. As these are thin layers one upon another pressed by rollers, with time it react with environment more that a single sheet as single sheet has less pores than this layers of sheet due to this coin and appear like a wood finish or lines.
coin collector.....
luca biondi
I found some pieces but only copper nickel and zinc.
Jesse11
I think it's quite attractive. I understand it's a "flaw", but I kind of just consider another type of toning.
Iainmac
Quote: "Jesse11"​I think it's quite attractive. I understand it's a "flaw", but I kind of just consider another type of toning.
​I Agree, if you set out to deliberately make coins look like this it would be harder to replicate than a normal coin , .. just a thought!
halfdisme
I would think that a term involving lustre would be misleading, because I believe it is an alloy mixing issue--and therefore not just on the surface.

Could KGV pennies have the same problem as U.S. made copper and brass planchets of World War II and shortly afterward--the copper came from recycled artillery shells, which may have had impurities from shellfire?
Mr. Midnight
Quote: "halfdisme"​I would think that a term involving lustre would be misleading, because I believe it is an alloy mixing issue--and therefore not just on the surface.

​Could KGV pennies have the same problem as U.S. made copper and brass planchets of World War II and shortly afterward--the copper came from recycled artillery shells, which may have had impurities from shellfire?

​exactly. all kinds of 'mongrel' scrap, some less miscible than other.
DEDALO
The last coin (1967), I think that he was made a repatinado with ammonia.
That clearer line in the center may be the one that makes the cord that holds the coin.
sarikanair
Yes these coins are really very beautiful.... I will definitely buy these coins.
ALLRED1950
Here is a South Africa 2 cents 1989

Has something going on under the lion.But like the look.
halfdisme
Most likely a filled die. It looks too smooth to be the loss of a layer due to lamination.
ALLRED1950
Yes iam thinking it is a filled die.
Kipsley
This particular thread had me trolling eBay, and given I collect Australian coins as well as Third Reich coins, I found and bought this just for the look of it.
Collector of Third Reich coins (1933 - 1946), and Australian coins.
Iainmac
Quote: "DEDALO"​The last coin (1967), I think that he was made a repatinado with ammonia.
​That clearer line in the center may be the one that makes the cord that holds the coin.
​don't think so, this is exactly as it came from the mint uncirculated,you have a good imagination my friend but pure fantasy!.
xipotle
Hello Numista

I'm new and enjoying the site and forum.
Here's my stripey/wood grain coin.

Iainmac
Quote: "xipotle"​Hello Numista

​I'm new and enjoying the site and forum.
​Here's my stripey/wood grain coin.

​Hello, Nice coin!

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 09:36PM.