Mystery India coin [solved]

12 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hi,
I went to a coin fair yesterday in São Paulo. Got so many new coins and notes, but one is still unidentified. In the holder there was only India written. I don't know where to start and the Indian states catalog here have 90 pages, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
could not find it either...
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Islamic dirham.
Possibly Khwarezm, Artukid or Ilkhanid. But not sure.
Not India.
Ma collection de Révolutionnaires - My coins from the French Revolution
Could be Georgian, Mongol period, Qa'aniks

They have very similar coins (but not sure....)
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Maudry and Petrus, thanks for the tips.

Although you two only deepened the mystery you also made it more interesting with the possible identifications.
If you're correct that coin have approx. 800 years old (thought it was more recent, 18 or 19th century).
I agree, it's not from India. I see that it has an ornate hexalobe design on both sides. Hexalobe coins were made in the 13th century by the Ayyubid Mainline Sultans of Cairo and the Artuqids of Mardin, but this design was also used on occasion by some by other rulers. Unfortunately searching for the term "hexalobe" in Zeno doesn't come up with this coin. Good luck!
Quote: "Seeker55"​I agree, it's not from India. I see that it has an ornate hexalobe design on both sides. Hexalobe coins were made in the 13th century by the Ayyubid Mainline Sultans of Cairo and the Artuqids of Mardin, but this design was also used on occasion by some by other rulers. Unfortunately searching for the term "hexalobe" in Zeno doesn't come up with this coin. Good luck!
​I've done a search on zeno. Not looked on everything yet, but looks like it's some kind of Ayyubid coin.
The closest coin I've found is this dirham (https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=12157), maybe my coin is a half dirham version of it (just a guess, there's no other similar coin in the category).
woow, that comes very close!!
Did you try to post it on Zeno?
If you have no account, please contact Vladimir
charm@postman.ru (object of the mail: Zeno)
Quote: "PetrusAscanus"​woow, that comes very close!!
​Did you try to post it on Zeno?
​If you have no account, please contact Vladimir
charm@postman.ru (object of the mail: Zeno)
Done, message sent.​ Thanks for the hint, Petrus.

Yeah, that was close.
Quote: "Giobruno"
Quote: "PetrusAscanus"​woow, that comes very close!!
​​Did you try to post it on Zeno?
​​If you have no account, please contact Vladimir
​​charm@postman.ru (object of the mail: Zeno)
​Done, message sent.​ Thanks for the hint, Petrus.

​Well, Vladimir asked for better and higher resolution photos. I've just sent them to him and now I'm posting them here.
Please keep us informed!!
FOUND IT!!! :8D

It's here, in this photo gallery: https://www.zeno.ru/showgallery.php?cat=9159
Ayubbid - Main line Sultans in Cairo - al-'Adil Abu Bakr I (Sayf al-Din), 591-615 - AR 1/2 Dirham, Dimashq
It means made in Damascus, Syria between 1196 and 1218.

Found 2 near exact matchs:
https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=98759
https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=193175
It looks like it have 2 main varieties. They were hammered right? It explains the minor varieties and the 99% but not 100% exact match.

By the way, no answer from Vladimir yet.
How I'll add this on Numista? (problem for later)
Oh, have you any estimate value? (I want to compare with the price I've paid)

Edit: Almost forgot, thanks Seeker for the hint that led me to the right direction.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 07:13.