Edward Island 1/2 penny

3 posts
A Canadian token I am being offered (so no weight or diameter yet available). I've already narrowed it down to 4 types in our catalogue, but there seems to be an endless amount of varieties. Our Canadian tokens-lovers seem to be around for the moment so it's the right time to ask!

Can you identify the variety from these pictures (ampersand is very worn, but ship is still quite nice)? And if so, does this "common" token still have value in this state?

The obverse seems to go towards VF according to Coins and Canada and the reverse I guess is more like F
Is 30 CAD (€20) a correct estimate?

Thanks you all for your help, as always!

Just call me Bram

Oh! And do read my profile page before you open a swap ...
Hello Bram,

I think you have graded this token accurately enough but, on "eye appeal" it wouldn't score very well.

The "Ship" side clearly has the Double H Mint Mark so your next marker would be the Ampersand on the other side. Because of the wear I cannot tell which of the four it is; Bar, Cut-Knob, Club-Knob, or Round Knob. This narrows it down to 16 varieties of the over 50 varieties (H.D. Lees published 54 varieties in 1917).

As for value, my Charlton Catalogue has a considerable spread for an F grade Double H; $15 - $150 (CAD) depending on the variety of course. On a personal note I would not spend more than $10 on this Token but, keep in mind I am a Colonial Token collector looking for VF or better. To the more casual collector looking for a little piece of Canadian history your price is not totally unreasonable.

Hoping this is helpful.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
I have a similar one. I spent 2 hours trying to identify it before I gave up. Since I do not have my book with me, the following is from memory.

About yours, initial poster, I blew up the picture and can clearly see the ball on end of the ampersand.
On ship side, it is flying a Union Jack and there isn't any cables to the front foresail.
Then there's the waves. They're not even but neither are they choppy.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:10.