Gibraltar question from newbie [solved]

6 posts
Greeting all...
This is my first question on the forum so please forgive me if it is dumb!!!
Is British money legal tender in Gibraltar ?
Thanks
Merv
They use the pound sterling, and sometimes Gibraltar coins show up in British coinage back home, so I'd imagine so; for both coins and banknotes locals should accept British issues alongside ones issued for Gibraltar, from everything I've heard.
Quote: "CassTaylor"for both coins and banknotes locals should accept British issues alongside ones issued for Gibraltar, from everything I've heard.

​From experience: correct! :)
Just call me Bram

Oh! And do read my profile page before you open a swap ...
I have always believed that British coinage can be spent in Jersey, Guernsey, Gibraltar and the Isle of Man, but their own coinage does not have to be accepted in British shops. Obviously, most people who are not coin collectors, do not immediately recognise 'foreign' coinage, so they do go into the system.
I picked up a Gibraltar £2 coin only last week.
I was also informed that the same goes for banknotes and this also officially applies to Scottish banknotes.
As usual, what governments say, and what the world does, is usually, very different, and long may it continue.
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
Quote: "Merv"​Greeting all...
​This is my first question on the forum so please forgive me if it is dumb!!!
​Is British money legal tender in Gibraltar ?
​Thanks
​Merv
​Hi Merv, was in Gibraltar last year, they accept the British pound and Euros everywhere I went. If you bring Gibraltar banknotes back to the UK you can't spend them, but the banks will do a swap, like for like no problem.
people talking without speaking, people hearing without listening
Greetings
Thank you for the replies, very informative.
Merv

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 19:22.