Additions to your collection - June 2018 [solved]

81 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Starting off the monthly thread straight after midnight because I came home to this lovely coin!

1904 Serbia 5 Dinara - Petar I (Dynastic Centenary)

£50 from Ebay, pretty fair price for F-VF coin of this type.
Nice coin to celebrate the return of power to the House of Karađorđević after the assassination of King Alexander of the rivalling House of Obrenović in 1903. Both families flipped rule over Serbia multiple times. They were the Bushes and Clintons of their days. Different times, different customs though.
I managed to pick up a bulk lot for NZ$50 (about US$35), mainly because I spotted these in it. I'm glad nobody else noticed because I was the only bidder and it looks like I'll manage to get almost my money back by selling off the rubbish that was in the lot

I picked up this from the local coin shop because I miss it

What? Me Worry
Nice catch Neil! What is the usual price you see for a 1949 Crown?
Quote: "jokinen"​Nice catch Neil! What is the usual price you see for a 1949 Crown?
​It's the silver one and in this condition they usually fetch at least NZ$30+ each, like this one

https://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-collectables/coins/new-zealand-predecimal/crowns/auction-1647999361.htm?rsqid=cf2bd206f51b4ae58d7ef87cdbd38d26
What? Me Worry
Quote: "neilithicman"
​I picked up this from the local coin shop because I miss it

​I don't blame you for missing that magnificent type! :love:

Funny personal anecdote: Once a couple months back I was showing my (French) grandmother my collection (she doesn't speak English), and I when I showed her my example of that coin, she thought it had none other than Jesus Christ depicted on it (she's also a Catholic). :D

@jokinen I imagine turn of the century Serbia was a lot more convoluted and dangerous than turn of the millennium American politics.... Bismarck was proven right in hindsight when he said a great war would be sparked by "some damn foolish thing in the Balkans".
In an effort to constrain my collection, i have generally avoided fractional denominations, but recently I had a rupture, and started collecting French (and by extension all LMU) 50c. coins.
(I already had some Tunisian and colonial types, but just a very few...``-)

Starting now with the interbellum bronzes

this collection is well along. all these i got for face value, sort of, US 50 cents each! B)

also some common silver pieces for about bullion price
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Quote: "CassTaylor"
Quote: "neilithicman"​​
​​I picked up this from the local coin shop because I miss it
​​
​​
​​I don't blame you for missing that magnificent type! :love:

​Funny personal anecdote: Once a couple months back I was showing my (French) grandmother my collection (she doesn't speak English), and I when I showed her my example of that coin, she thought it had none other than Jesus Christ depicted on it (she's also a Catholic). :D

​Ha, it's even the wrong gender to be Jesus ;)

I always pick them up if I find one in decent condition and selling for $20 or less. I've supplied several Numista members with one of them, but when I sold off my collection, my copy went with it. I might start picking them up again because it's my favourite coin. The only thing that could make it better would be if it was a George V coin and had NZ's lovely George V effigy on the obverse.

What? Me Worry
Quote: "neilithicman"
​Ha ha! I literally picked up this coin at my local coin market today! Along with 6 New Zealand commemorative coins in hard cover cases and the 1969 Standard Specimen Set. My first triangular coin, and an Australian silver 6 pence. With a whole lot of other coins!
Quote: "neilithicman"​I picked up this from the local coin shop because I miss it

ROMAE AETERNAE
Nothing to report today, but super bummed out to find out I'd narrowly lost an auction on Ebay for 2 nice pre-WWI Montenegrin coins, and the final bid was 27€ too! ;(

And now that I remember, I forgot to check up on another auction that could've been a great win for me....

Kicking myself so hard right now. :snif:
Only one addition so far this month ...

'Austria Unknown Copper 1768' [Diameter 18mm] [Price £1.20]

Very thin. Not looked yet to see what it is.

EDIT: Not sure about neither Austria nor 1768 date as I can see maybe 1695 on it;
also as it arrived today I made my own images (with added certain letters/numbers) ...

Later, I see it now has same lettering as >
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces126840.html
so maybe is a Silver Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth 1625 Grosz Litewski.
From trip to Beograd. 10 and 1 RSD.
Just got this
Outings administrator
Just got these beauties in the mail, thanks to swaps with Bas A. Warwick and Bookshelf.
First set, are pre-decimal coins from New Zealand - 1 Crown, 1/2 Crown, 1 Florin and Six Pence. Real beauties.

The second group, from Bookshelf, are common circulation coins from Colombia, Finland, Greece, Latvia, Nicaragua, Philippines, Russia, Slovenia, Uruguay and Venezuela, but very nice and welcome additions to my collection.
Thanks for posting those JRo69
I scanned one side before they left NZ in a padded bag.
Looks like they survived the 12,000 km journey without problem.
Swapping makes a change!
Added this token from Australia
W.R. Watson & Co. Sovereign Hill

Obverse
Lettering:
SOVEREIGN HILL
SERIES TWO (there is also a series one)
BALLARAT

Reverse
Lettering:
TOWN HALL HOTEL
WINE & SPIRIT
W.R. WATSON & CO
MERCHANTS
ARMSTRONG ST. BALLARAT

Swapping makes a change!
Picked up 1 of these June 1st.
Looking to get more - happy to swap if you have some.
South Africa Five Shillings
Swapping makes a change!

Got this today :O Kwangsi is a Chinese province I didn't have coins from before, so this was a good addition. This type is also one of the most commonly faked types, from what I've seen and heard, so good to have it off my list.

Also from Ebay:

A 1942 Serbia WWII 2 Dinar, and an uncirculated 1915 Serbia 50 Para (pictured), KM#24.3- I'm really trying to build up my pre-1945 Balkans collection here!

A welcome addition from circulation.
ūūūūū
some nice interbellum silver from Syria

Saint Barthélemy, 500 francs/500 riksdaler, 1988

Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Quote: "ngdawa"​Saint Barthélemy, 500 francs/500 riksdaler, 1988

​is this a fantasy coin?
Outings administrator
Quote: "ashlobo"
​​
​​
​​is this a fantasy coin?
​They were released to commemorate the Swedish rule of the island, and were legal tender in south Swedish towns and on the island of Saint Barthélemy. On Numista they are listed as tokens.
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Quote: "ngdawa"
Quote: "ashlobo"

​​​
​​​
​​​is this a fantasy coin?
​​They were released to commemorate the Swedish rule of the island, and were legal tender in south Swedish towns and on the island of Saint Barthélemy. On Numista they are listed as tokens.
​ah, I know this island as St.Barts. Just reading about it, does seem like a token because back then the official currency would have been the French franc. If they were used in southern Swedish towns, i can only imagine as some sort of gimmick or trade token. Definitely not legal tender by any stretch but nonetheless interesting as a token with some history
Outings administrator
Just got from circulation 2015 P

my first of the Mohawk iron workers.
It is, what it is, or is it.
Hello
I got from marketplace, from the clothing seller (lady from Peru).

1 Sol (Tumbes Crocodile)
Commemorative: Endangered Fauna from Peru - Tumbes Crocodile

1 Nuevo Sol 2. typ 2014

Ahoj Ivan
Got this 1921 Morgan Dollar on Friday in a swap with JRo69

Swapping makes a change!
Pakistan 1/4 Rupee 1949

India 2 Rupees National Integration 2000
I've had a lot going on the last couple months, but in doing so saved up some money, and just bought myself a really awesome coin... It should arrive in my mailbox soon and I'll share...
A couple of Djibouti items I picked up recently

KM24 20 Francs

KM25 50 Francs
Collect what you like and like what you collect.
Remember you are only the custodian of you collection, its only yours for your lifetime.

Greece, 1876-A 5 Drachmai.
Quote: "johnspa"
​Greece, 1876-A 5 Drachmai.
​Lovely type, I've been meaning to buy that one for some time now.
Quote: "johnspa"
​​Greece, 1876-A 5 Drachmai.
​​Lovely type, I've been meaning to buy that one for some time now.
​Yes, me too. I was just waiting for 1 with a decent price.
Odd little piece I just had to have...

This is a late 19th to early 20th century fraternal order penny from Woodmen of the World (founded 1890). Beginning in the mid 19th century many fraternal orders (Masons, Elks, Eagles, the Ku Klux Klan, etc.) issued these to members as proof of membership. The phrase Dum Tacet Clamat translates to "though silent, he speaks". Appropriate for an insurance organization which is still in operation as WoodmenLife.

Also, in the early days, member tombstones were in the shape of a tree stump! And here I thought we numismatists were a little different but, there are organisations devoted to cataloging tombstones. B.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
1795 Half Dollar! My first 1700's US coin!

Quote: "sc.rednek"​1795 Half Dollar! My first 1700's US coin!

​just think - George Washington himself was President when that coin was struck!
Quote: "sc.rednek"​1795 Half Dollar! My first 1700's US coin!

​Nice!
Some nice little German states silver coins! Finally Friedrich II of Prussia joins my monarch collection. :)
From left-right:
Bavaria, Saxony, Prussia, Prussia, Baden, Baden

Been a bit busy lately (designing some financial software!) so have been a little absent apart from clearing up the odd spam post.

Here are some of my latest additions.

My earliest British coin:

Offa light coinage - portrait version

A maximillion peso that I didn't expect to win (left a low advance bid only) I need to get it in hand to see just HOW good it is, but I suspect the auction house severely undergraded this one.

A nice 1902 Halfcrown that I need to compare with mine when it arrives as it might be nicer.

And 2 erm.... coins? from Canada winter olympics

And the best for last!

Celebrating the Danish victory over the Swedes for a strategic waterway - Around 700 grams.

Transylvania 1/4 ducat

I should now be in the lead for the worst looking accumulation of Transylvanian 1/4 ducats.
Buying gold and electrum coins 700bc-1950ad
Muenzenhamster is a healthy part of our community and should not be censored
Received from USA as gift, but I think I will swap or trade them , as it is not my sphere of interest, although coins are beautiful <3

Quote: "oggy"​Been a bit busy lately (designing some financial software!) so have been a little absent apart from clearing up the odd spam post.

​Here are some of my latest additions.

​My earliest British coin:

​Offa light coinage - portrait version

​A maximillion peso that I didn't expect to win (left a low advance bid only) I need to get it in hand to see just HOW good it is, but I suspect the auction house severely undergraded this one.

​A nice 1902 Halfcrown that I need to compare with mine when it arrives as it might be nicer.

​And 2 erm.... coins? from Canada winter olympics

​And the best for last!

​Celebrating the Danish victory over the Swedes for a strategic waterway - Around 700 grams.
​wow I have to admit Im jealous of your medal:love:
Love it
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
700 grams, that's huge! What year is that medal?

I figured it was time to get some stuff between 408 and 1795. So, I picked up a couple small lots of medieval coins from ebay, these are what I've (with some help) identified (or nearly) so far

Bohemia, Silesia, City of Schweidnitz. 1518-26, I can read the "15" but not the second half of the date.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces65413.html

Hungarian, probably early 1500's. But there's basically nothing about bronze coins from that period on Numista or anywhere else on the internet I can find. Doubt it's worth much or I'll ever get an exact ID. It was in the same lot of 5 coins (3 other coppers were complete garbage) as the Bohemian silver, which is really why I bought it.

And bought a lot of 9 small Ottoman silver coins, ebay said 1512-20 AD. I figured out these 2 are https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces127354.html or something very very similar. Haven't figured out the other 7 yet, but probably all Akce era as well.
Thailand 1 Baht - Rama IX 1988
I've been saving up to buy some other things these past few weeks, but still managed to get a few things on Ebay on the cheap; not coins, though:

A couple of French military medals, both dating to around WWI.
Nice. I have that second one myself ...

@ZacUK
Yeah, it sure has a stunning design. Sometimes less is more... :love:

I'm hoping to get one of each Inter-Allied Victory medal, but seeing as this will only be my second (after the British issue) I've got a long way ahead of me... and that's just the more common types (Belgium, USA, Italy, etc.); I don't know how I'm going to get a hold of the rarer, commonly faked ones (e.g. Cuba, Romania, Czechoslovakia).
Quote: "Peter M. Graham"​Odd little piece I just had to have...

​This is a late 19th to early 20th century fraternal order penny from Woodmen of the World (founded 1890). Beginning in the mid 19th century many fraternal orders (Masons, Elks, Eagles, the Ku Klux Klan, etc.) issued these to members as proof of membership. The phrase Dum Tacet Clamat translates to "though silent, he speaks". Appropriate for an insurance organization which is still in operation as WoodmenLife.

​Also, in the early days, member tombstones were in the shape of a tree stump! And here I thought we numismatists were a little different but, there are organisations devoted to cataloging tombstones. B.

I bet you got a sample of my writing on the 2 by 2 that coin came in!
LCC right ( Brampton show)?

Loruca
I collect anything: If it's Italian or Italian states i collect it even more!
​It may have been your writing on the flip but, no, I purchased on Ebay from a well known Canadian Colonial Token gentleman. Perhaps he got from you at the show in Brampton? I paid $12.55 including shipping (Cornwall area).
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
​Makes sense!
I was told by the boss he'd sold them as a lot!
Loruca
I collect anything: If it's Italian or Italian states i collect it even more!
A bunch more French 50 centimes.

My usual Sunday at the local antique market. Some nice pickups including a VF USA 1864 2 Cent (large motto) and an Upper Canada Colonial Token.

I placed a few bids before I went out, and now back I see I won these two ...

'1992 Europe Twenty Five ECU Wales Coin Edward The Black Prince'

I already have a few 1992 ECU, for England, N. Ireland, Wales, Scotland, but not this coin.

'1739 Admiral Vernon & Commodore Brown Six Ship Medal' [Size 37mm Approx.]

I already have a few different versions of the Vernon medals, but not this one.
Found at the CoinStar:

Bolivia, 10 centvos, 2012
France, 2 eurocents, 2000
Nicaragua, 1 cordoba, 2012
UK, 1 penny, 1971, 1975
USA, 1 cent, 1919, 1939

The 3rd Republic Medaille militaire I posted above finally arrived; here it is next to my Légion d'honneur.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces124998.html

The medieval font is hard to read, but I can see all the letters, it's not too heavily worn

I just wish they put dates on coins back then, James I was the longest reigning king ever on the Iberian Peninsula, but that leaves my coin with a 64 year question mark about mintage. But I really liked the age and condition and bought it because I love Barcelona, such a beautiful city, and I wanted a piece of history from it.
@sc.rednek
Agreed about Barcelona, it's a wonderful place... I had the chance to buy some of those medieval dineros while I was taking an extended stay in Barcelona back in May, but passed them up to complete my Spanish LMU type set instead.

My other WWI French military medal arrived today as well; it's even more stunning in hand, as the victory figure on the obverse is in ultra-high relief.
quite happy with this. found in a little bricks-and-mortar antiques and coins shop.

This design minted in Paris 1850-51 only.
I love the variety of French mint privy marks, this is the first in my collection with the dog's head and pointing hand.
Two additions, from same seller, so saving postage ...

'Historical medallion. 2nd Duke of Argyll 1678-1743 Commemorative. 36mm'

http://www.yorkcoins.com/m103_-_george_ii_(1727-1760),_the_duke_of_argyle_and_sir_robert_walpole,_ae_medal.htm

'Historical medallion. Maria Theresa medal Pierre-Leopold of Habsburg-Lorraine' [Oct. 1790]

http://maxentius.lamoneta.it/PagineMedaglie/IncoronazionediLeopoldoII.htm
2 Fanams India

Recent Purchase, I had no idea what this was when i purchased, with a mixture of western and eastern text, confused me for a while, so i thought i had better look under India, There it was under British India ( madras ) circa 1808 - 1812 decent buy for around 1 euro
people talking without speaking, people hearing without listening
Bad image but that's a Joseon Tongbo.
Some nice silver and tin coins:

such interesting stuff!
my current obsession is kind of boring -yet more 50 centimes -

The most interesting one, to me at the moment, is the bronze 1944, French West Africa, minted at London.
Picked up one of these. I have quite a few wartime coins from the allies, so I decided to diversify a bit

Went spelunking in the junk bin, and came out with some good finds!

29 (1940) China - Republic 1 Fen
37 (1948) China - Republic 1 Fen
1946 (North) Vietnam 5 Hao (incuse denomination)
1903 Philippines (US) 20 Centavos
1875 Denmark 1 Krone
1825 KM AM Russian Empire 1 Kopeck

and the best,
1813 Vaud (Swiss Cantons) 1/2 Batz/5 Rappen.

None of those were more than 3€ each! B)
...and right as I post that, I check my mailbox and there's a package from Maison Palombo! :°

Don't you just love it when you get a coin from a country you referee for?!
Despite the remains of the mount, I simply couldn't resist the price! Fair amount of lustre too. :love:
I've got a couple of silver crowns on their way next week to me as well.
Another older addition like the two I got the other day ...

'1760 George 111 proclamation medal'

The condition could be better, but will do until I can get one (in silver) like this ...
https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=1795&lot=6550
or in bronze ...
https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/collection/440053/medal-commemorating-the-accession-of-george-iii

Obverse: Draped bust of George III left
Lettering: GEORGIUS III REX
Reverse: Heart within a wreath of laurel and oak atop a pedestal
Lettering: ENTIRELY BRITISH / BORN MAY 24 1738 PROCLAIMED OCTR. 26 1760 KIRK
Picked up for a song

1852 Duke of Wellington Medal. White metal. 39mm. A very well detailed uniformed left facing bust of Duke of Wellington. 'ARTHUR DUKE OF WELLINGTON' in legend around.
Reverse - Crossed flags with words 'ASSAYE' and 'WATERLOO'. In centre inscription reads 'BORN MAY 1 1769 DIED SEPR 14 1852'. Legend around reads 'HE SUBDUED INDIA AND LIBERATED EUROPE'
Swapping makes a change!
Still more LMU form dimes, including my first coin from Spain

Picked up a cheap ebay lot of 50 uncleaned Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth coppers from 1660-1666. None are particularly good, but that's expected when the words "cheap" and "uncleaned" are combined. And one random 1754 was mixed in for some reason. Been waiting 3 weeks for them to arrive from Ukraine. I might be able to identify a few more with work, so far positively ID'd date and mint on 19 of the 49, plus the 1754. The obverse are all the same, Jan II. The reverse are either the eagle or the knight, with a few different mint marks. The 1754 is August III, with a coat of arms on the back, has a bend but otherwise nice condition.

Hopefully I'll get some more interesting, better condition stuff soon. All these that y'all are posting make mine look terrible!
Went through some of the more expensive silver trays (5-10€ each) today, and I got this for just 9€ :8D:

Sure it's a bit bent, but Krause lists 1691 for this type in VG8 at 50 USD. I swear when I saw this in the tray my eyes popped out so hard they still ache now! Looks like continental dealers aren't too familiar with English coins...

Also, my first Syrian emergency piastre from WWII:
Some Monaco new francs

I like to have some pieces that are "low mintage", these are all 25,000 or so, but they are not expensive rarities.
also, I confess I am a closet royalist. 0:)
Received yesterday this nice lot of oriental coins.
Will certainly take a couple of months to Id them.:)
Ma collection de Révolutionnaires - My coins from the French Revolution
Received these coins earlier this evening on a swap:

1- A Russian kopeck - tsar Mikhail I (around 1620)
2- An unidentified italian medieval
3- A super beautiful hungarian denar

(some photos are not good as others, I know)

Credits to Sneyoz for these nice coins.
Quote: "Mr. Midnight"​also, I confess I am a closet royalist. 0:)
​Marianne is much disappoint! :O

In all seriousness though, as long as they're ceremonial, declawed constitutional monarchs that know their place, I believe the "National Razor" can be put safely away. :P
Quote: "Mr. Midnight"​​also, I confess I am a closet royalist. 0:)
​​Marianne is much disappoint! :O

​In all seriousness though, as long as they're ceremonial, declawed constitutional monarchs that know their place, I believe the "National Razor" can be put safely away. :P
​My bad, we are not supposed to discuss politics!

anyway, here is a little bit i got in change recently.
I don't really think that was politics, it was a joke. ;)

Your 1944 50 centimes is really making me jealous, it's one spot I can't seem to fill no matter how hard I try by the way.
Quote: "CassTaylor"​Your 1944 50 centimes is really making me jealous, it's one spot I can't seem to fill no matter how hard I try by the way.

​i was glad to find it for US$12. I already have the 1franc.
There is also a bronze 1947 50c., "struck for colonial use in Africa" , which seems to be the key date of the type - ebay sellers want $100+ for badly circulated ones.
Quote: "Mr. Midnight"
Quote: "CassTaylor"​​Your 1944 50 centimes is really making me jealous, it's one spot I can't seem to fill no matter how hard I try by the way.

​​i was glad to find it for US$12. I already have the 1franc.
​There is also a bronze 1947 50c., "struck for colonial use in Africa" , which seems to be the key date of the type - ebay sellers want $100+ for badly circulated ones.
Aye, I know about the 1947. Good thing I'm a type collector and can easily get a hold of dozens of other extremely common Morlon 50 ct dates to get the green tick on it's Numista page.

1944 type still eludes me, though. x.
- Brazil 1922 1000 Réis (Independence Centennial), 1935 2000 Réis (Duke of Caxias)
- Canada 2000 1 Dollar (Canadian Flag)
- El Salvador 1889 3 Centavos
- German States - Baden 1908 3 Mark - Friedrich II
- Hong Kong 1902 10 Cents - Edward VII
- Iraq 1938 50 Fils - Ghazi I
- Japan 1975 100 Yen (Okinawa Expo)
- New Zealand 1943 1 Florin - George VI
- UK 1935 3 Pence - George V
HoH

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:59.