Where have you visited in the world?

121 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Another free discussion thread for the community.

So, this is a site where you can make a custom world map:
https://www.amcharts.com/visited_countries/

Make a map and show us how many countries you've ever visited! Here's my own, with 40/197 countries recognised by the UN down:

Most of Europe is covered, as well as a lot of Southeast Asia... then there's the tropical places like the Maldives, Bali and Phuket. I've never set foot in the New World, although I'd love to visit the Caribbean sometime soon. I've been fortunate enough to be in Liechtenstein, Monaco and the Vatican; as well as to the DMZ in South Korea (can't quite tick off NK though) and Istanbul (not Constantinople).
No need for a fancy map in my case. I've only been to three countries:

- US
- Canada (a few times, for a total of several days)
- Netherlands (twice, for a total of 12 weeks)

I don't expect to leave the US again.
I'm not rich, but I grew up in Germany, so visiting different countries is like going to different states here in the USA. Not such a big deal if you live there or here. so I have been to most European countries, but only Hungary in what was considered off limits back in the 70'
since I moved here to the good old USA in 1982 I been back to Germany and Canada. There is so much to discover in this great country, you would need more than one lifetime to do it. I reckon I stay around and try.
Also I sure would like to go to Hutt River.........just to see what's going on there.
NZ is pretty isolated and it cost heaps to get anywhere, I've been to Aussie several times and Fiji a couple of times but I have extensively explored my own back yard, I've been to pretty much every inch of the Beautiful country we call New Zealand ;)
What? Me Worry
You kind of wonder how much of a country people actually "see" when they visit. I used to work at Larnach Castle in Dunedin in my younger days and we'd get tour groups that had flown into New Zealand that morning and landed at Christchurch, they had taken a tour bus down to Dunedin, about 350 kilometers away. They were looking at a couple of things in Dunedin, and then getting back on their bus and heading out to Queenstown for the night (a further 300 kilometers away).

I've lived in Otago all my life and I holiday in Central Otago and the Lakes district at least once a year, and I've still only seen a fraction of the things there are to see around there, let alone the rest of New Zealand.
What? Me Worry
Quote: "neilithicman"​You kind of wonder how much of a country people actually "see" when they visit. I used to work at Larnach Castle in Dunedin in my younger days and we'd get tour groups that had flown into New Zealand that morning and landed at Christchurch, they had taken a tour bus down to Dunedin, about 350 kilometers away. They were looking at a couple of things in Dunedin, and then getting back on their bus and heading out to Queenstown for the night (a further 300 kilometers away).

​I've lived in Otago all my life and I holiday in Central Otago and the Lakes district at least once a year, and I've still only seen a fraction of the things there are to see around there, let alone the rest of New Zealand.
​Absolutely... the amount of worthwhile things there are in the world would take several lifetimes to see.

That brings to mind; many places on my map, were merely stopovers or drivethroughs; the UAE (Dubai) is a flight connection to the Asia-Pacific from Europe, while I can tick off Montenegro only because we went through it on our way to Croatia (Corfu to Dubrovnik). I haven't even seen all of Monaco and the Vatican, and they're so small that other countries have building complexes larger and more populated than their whole country is.... B.

I just realised I've never set foot in Belgium or Ireland, looks like something to be corrected ASAP!
I've been to 19 different countries, but only in Europe. Those countries include my native country Ukraine and countries where I lived or live now (Poland, The Netherlands)

ROMAE AETERNAE
That map is nice, but it tells a very inflated and misleading story even assuming you remove the drive throughs, flight connections and other irrelevant stuff. I’ve been to Vienna in Austria for a few days; I’d hardly qualify it as visiting the country. Similarly, I’ve been to a few coastal cities in China, but I’d hardly say I’ve “seen China”.
Trip advisor has a map where you drop pins on the cities you visit. I’ll try to upload mine. That’s a lot more informative imo
Outings administrator
Here's my boastful map of visited countries. I don't count stopovers: I must have spent at least one night there.
I've also visited Monaco and Vatican City, but slept elsewhere.

I'm not rich, just gifted with the Dutch innate obsession to travel.

Well, I made my own version of Trip Advisor.

Here is my own map. (;0 I take a picture of every church/chapel/any other worship place I came across my travels, so it pretty sums it up.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G_FDDFYqSdaT-sLzLiWmeefZKDg&usp=sharing
Catalogue administrator
@ArnoV
Some pretty amazing places you've set foot in, Namibia and Mongolia in particular :o

Thirteen countries so far, officially. Though I find it weird to check Spain on my list when I've only visited Tenerife and La Gomera, which are far away islands from the main land of Spain.

Also Bahrain is probably not even visible on my picture map as it's so darn small haha. And then a country like Russia, so gigantic, yet I've been in only a couple cities near Moscow :D

Hope to visit all countries one day, but doubt that's gonna happen, so for now first goal is a coin from each country :P
Thank you cass

I love this kind of topics as I travel a lot... mainly for work, but I have live in many countries!

I have traveled 31 countries so far, but visited them many times... this is the main reason why my count is so low... I burn passports at a rate of 2/3 years each.

From this map these are the countries I have live in (and where I have the largest numbers of my coins) :wiz:
Venezuela
USA
Qatar
Brazil
Kuwait
Panama
India
Japan
JustforFun...
Quote: "ashlobo"​Trip advisor has a map where you drop pins on the cities you visit. I’ll try to upload mine. That’s a lot more informative imo
​Is it still working ? I used it as well but I wasn't able to load the page again few weeks ago.
TripAdvisor is a good idea, I made mine just now:

I've actually been to more individual cities in Italy than in either the UK or France, and I'm sure there's quite a few I haven't yet added, such as one of the Normandie D-Day beaches (forgot which one), this Japanese spa place outside Tokyo whose name I can't remember, Eilean Donan castle and Loch Ness up in Scotland and a lavender farm somewhere in Provence.
Quote: "Cycnos"
Quote: "ashlobo"​​Trip advisor has a map where you drop pins on the cities you visit. I’ll try to upload mine. That’s a lot more informative imo
​​Is it still working ? I used it as well but I wasn't able to load the page again few weeks ago.
​I'd not accessed it in a while, but when i did today, it just kept reloading in facebook and nothing happening in the end. Googled a bit and you should fine it here if you have a tripadvisor profile

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/TravelMapHome
Outings administrator

Outings administrator
Quote: "ashlobo"

​you can see from this map how little of my original home country, India, that I’ve seen, and in my new home, Canada, how much more to see.
That other map that marks an entire country misses the point imo :)
Outings administrator
@ashlobo

Seems to be a lot of activity around Toulouse on your European map there, I'm curious.

I have visited Canada, The Bahamas, and Turks and Caicos.

Here are the US states that I have visited.
Quote: "Jarcek"​Well, I made my own version of Trip Advisor.

​Here is my own map. (;0 I take a picture of every church/chapel/any other worship place I came across my travels, so it pretty sums it up.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G_FDDFYqSdaT-sLzLiWmeefZKDg&usp=sharing

​Hello
And where is the pilgrimage site of the famous Velehrad? It is 70 km from your residence, It's a type of trip in July there are festivities I recommend to visit.

Ahoj Ivan
I did not have car license until few months ago, so 70km without good bus connection was an obstacle. :)
Catalogue administrator
The map of countries that I have flown over would be much more interesting then the map of those I've actually spent more than a few hours in. :D
HoH
TripAdvisor's map is better indeed! For example, I've visited Lille but that's only one city and France has more to offer!

ROMAE AETERNAE
@Oleg

Is one of those markers on Italy, San Marino?

Curious because I know you have a soft spot for their old coins.
Quote: "CassTaylor"​@Oleg

​Is one of those markers on Italy, San Marino?

​Curious because I know you have a soft spot for their old coins.

I've never been to San Marino... but I want to go there very much!

I have a soft spot for almost everything they produce. I have managed to collect almost 400 different types from that little country.
ROMAE AETERNAE
Yeah, I only have a few myself but I can understand why. It's honestly a little amazing such a tiny country even managed to produce 400 coin types.
Quote: "CassTaylor"​Yeah, I only have a few myself but I can understand why. It's honestly a little amazing such a tiny country even managed to produce 400 coin types.

They started minting more and more commemoratives, but I do like the designs very much.

Of course, the pre-war coinage is my favourite part. Simply fantastic. In the future I will extend my scope to pre-war Italy, Albania and Italian States.
ROMAE AETERNAE
WORLD MAP (CITIES)

Clusters
United Kingdom - London, Greenwich, Windsor, High Wycombe, Oxford, Bicester, Harlow, Bishop's Stortford, Cambridge, Salisbury, Amesbury (Stonehenge)

Japan - Fukuoka, Kumamoto, Hiroshima, Iwakuni, Osaka, Kobe, Kyoto, Nara, Nagoya, Fuji, Yokohama, Tokyo

South China - Hong Kong, Macau, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Huizhou, Dongguan, Zhuhai, Jiangmen

Europe - Roma, Vatican City, Fabri, Florence, Pisa, Bologna, Venice, Verona, Innsbruck, Vaduz, Lucerne, Engelberg, Basel, Besancon, Versailles, Paris, Bruxelles, Antwerp, Rotterdam, Amsterdam

Malaysia - Langkawi, Penang, [somewhere], Kuala Lumpur, Singapore

HONG KONG

All 18 districts! Hurrah!

(Island not highlighted have not been visited by me before)
Quote: "CassTaylor"​@ashlobo

​Seems to be a lot of activity around Toulouse on your European map there, I'm curious.
​I spent a 2month long French language immersion programme organised by the Lions Clubin the summer of 2007. We made day trips to quite a few towns in the area - auch, albi, castelnaudry, carcassone and à couple others that are on the tip of my tongue. I represented the Indian contingent because back then I lived in Bombay. It was my first ever trip outside India :)
Outings administrator
Quote: "CassTaylor"​TripAdvisor is a good idea, I made mine just now:

​I've actually been to more individual cities in Italy than in either the UK or France, and I'm sure there's quite a few I haven't yet added, such as one of the Normandie D-Day beaches (forgot which one), this Japanese spa place outside Tokyo whose name I can't remember, Eilean Donan castle and Loch Ness up in Scotland and a lavender farm somewhere in Provence.
​that’s a rich diversity of places indeed!
Outings administrator
Quote: "ashlobo"​We made day trips to quite a few towns in the area - auch, albi, castelnaudry, carcassone
​I hope you tasted the culinary specialty of Castelnaudary. The "cassoulet", an imperishable memory !

For me, still a lot to discover all around the world :°
Referee of south atlantic islands
In my almost 70 years I have visited some now hard to visit places, like Yemen and Afghanistan. I'm most sorry I never made it to Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Mongolia, Romania, Bulgaria and Madagascar, as well as UAE, Oman and Qatar. Money and health preclude any more travels.

Will
The topic motivated me to update a Tripadvisor map.

There is a problem that there are always too many places you want to visit))
Medieval sets for swap:https://en.numista.com/forum/topic140941.html

My personal list of scammers from Numista: erniemix, yvain, CassTaylor
Indeed, I can access to the map again.

​I started to visit few places in the Pacific area but, after speaking with other foreigners, I realised I didn't know much about my own country so I ended up visited as many places I can here and focused on the little nations in Europe (I still have to visit Lichtenstein and Cyprus).

I mostly do road trips and trekking but I flew a bit as well and spent few days visited new places here and there when I notice I can have a stop over somewhere else :O

Travellerspoint provides nice maps too and some stats as well for people who like travelling :`

Quote: "Frenchlover"
Quote: "ashlobo"​We made day trips to quite a few towns in the area - auch, albi, castelnaudry, carcassone
​​I hope you tasted the culinary specialty of Castelnaudary. The "cassoulet", an imperishable memory !

​For me, still a lot to discover all around the world :°
​yes indeed, I did a tour of the Spanghero factory lead by the ceo himself :). I even got a nice custom made cassoulet ceramic bowl as a gift from the CEOs office :)
Outings administrator
@ashlobo
Well, I wouldn't really call it that, but thanks anyways. I mean, aside from a few (UK, France, Italy) many countries I visited I've only been able to visit their capital (or a well known city or two), such as for all the Scandinavian countries (barring Iceland), as well as most of the Balkans (barring Kosovo, because at the time we did it (2006-07) it wasn't a country (albeit a disputed one, as it is currently) yet, so we didn't visit.

@SRL
I am never sure why people count Versailles as a separate city to Paris... it's about a day's walk (as the crow flies, apparently) and to most non-Parisians (such as myself) it's kinda like Google Maps calling Boulogne-Bilancourt a seperate city... Probably it's the fault of official city limits and those who consider anything outside the Periph not part of Paris proper... it sounds way better to say you have an apartment in Paris than one in someplace called Sèveres (which is only famous among historians because it had that aborted treaty with Turkey named after it). x.
My map would be pretty small! Currently is USA, been to Canada, lived in Romania and Moldova for 2 years. Stopped at an airport in Austria and Germany, but I don’t think that counts. Oh also the Bahamas on a cruise.
My map would be pretty small! Currently is USA, been to Canada, lived in Romania and Moldova for 2 years. Stopped at an airport in Austria and Germany, but I don’t think that counts. Oh also the Bahamas on a cruise.

You live in one of the greatest places on the planet.....Utah, Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming is so awesome I would probably never leave.....
I live in Utah currently and love it! You are right, there are few reasons to leave the mountain west! Your rig you take to Moab (from the other thread) looks awesome! I plan to go there with my mountain bike this summer and hit some of the epic trails in the area. We go to Idaho and Wyoming frequently and have some trips planned there for the summer.

Not sure how close you are to Texas but I did live in Texas for a while and I do miss some Texas BBQ and blue bell ice cream mmmmmmmmm
Quote: "CassTaylor"​@SRL
​I am never sure why people count Versailles as a separate city to Paris... it's about a day's walk (as the crow flies, apparently) and to most non-Parisians (such as myself) it's kinda like Google Maps calling Boulogne-Bilancourt a seperate city... Probably it's the fault of official city limits and those who consider anything outside the Periph not part of Paris proper... it sounds way better to say you have an apartment in Paris than one in someplace called Sèveres (which is only famous among historians because it had that aborted treaty with Turkey named after it). x.
Paris itself is just a little city surounding by many others in the suburb : at first they were independant from each other but now they form a big urban area and belong to different entities (the mayor of Paris has no autority at Versailles for exemple).

It's like saying the Vatican city is part of Rome :P.
They belong to the same urban area but they are ruled differently.
@Cyncos
Thanks for clarifying, for all intents and purposes, if it's part of the same conurbation it might as well be a city of it's own. But the jurisdiction seems to be the deciding factor here.

Just went back to TripAdvisor, now having a blast rating each city's attractions. I can't comprehend why they bother putting "London Underground" or "Paris Metro" as attractions next to the Louvre or British Museum... :.

Reminds me; last time I was in Paris, I went to Père Lachaise and spent the day hunting for the graves of famous people. It's much huger than you expect, but i did track down Oscar Wilde, Chopin, Édith Piaf and a few presidents of the IIIe Republic (Faure was an accidental find).
Just got done updating my (Europe) TripAdvisor map; I've also added places I've lived in there too:

Referred to a bunch of old vacation photos and turns out I've been to more cities on the Croatian-Montenegrin Riviera than I thought. And apparently I've also been to Dunedin, Neil's city down in NZ, since there's pictures of little me on Baldwin Street, the "Steepest Street in the World".
https://tinyurl.com/yb5qu88b

Sadly i had no cash for a helikopter so i couldnt access even more remote sites in greenland. But i was the first guy in 10 years there as i was told. Even the military came once to visit the hamster.

I will surely return on day and make a lengthy expedition again. Was there 58 days.

On svalbard i was 25 days on expedition.

The rest are just the usual random cities like london, helsinki and that sort of stuff....
Main Referee for Hutt-River
@ Münzenhamster,

As a moderator, I should keep quiet, send you a PM warning, begging you to comply with the forum policy and would have banned for a fortnight.

As man, christian, executive, (former) OC, dad of 3, human being and whatever you want, I would not have done it, because i consider I have done the job only when everybody crossed safely the river.

As a fellow Numista member, I am sorry, buddy, but you suck .....

I do not know what mother Nature and Life did to you, but you do not seem to be in harmony ;-)
Most of your posts I read are negative, agressive, sour, bitter, toxic. Once you step in a conversation, you criticise everybody, explaining how good you are and how the others are not....

Could you please be more mature and just disregard the comments you do not agree with and / or leave the topic before spoiling the atmosphere ?

Just try the famous "You are OK, I am OK" for a few weeks.

I understood you appreciate when things are told frankly. I hope I have been crystal clear.

Yours,
Vieille Pile
Thanks Münzenhamster for refraining.

I hope we will share ideas and jokes on a next (non controversial) post.

Have a good day,
Vieille Pile
Thank you so much VieillePile! Much appreciated! :)

Anyway, back on topic, here are some of my more interesting holiday snaps from my iCloud photo roll taken in the past couple of years, feel free to share your own:

Sunset beach vista at the Maldives

Swedish Royal Guards parade + marching band in Stockholm

Interesting street art (at Piazza del Popolo), anti-Fascist Rome liberation memorial, vista of the Via dei Fori Imperiali (incl. Colosseum) from atop the Altare della Patria, Rome

Resort (private) swimming pool and bath in Bali

New Year's Eve 2017 outdoor concert/celebration at Plaza de Cibeles, Madrid
I haven't so much time for holidays, but I nevertheless travel for business reasons.

I especially appreciate quiet places where I can share some booz with peacefull people.

Vieille Pile
I've been to Romania (of course), Malta, Bulgaria, Poland, Greece, Scotland, Germany, Italy and Spain.
I've only started travelling 2-3 years ago , so from now on i'm visiting a minimum of 3 countries per year.
Trying to see the EU first. Next will be Hungary and Cyprus.
The one that really exceded my expectations was Poland, but Scotland and Spain were really nice also.
Elsinore's castle under construction in 2015:
ūūūūū
Wow, it's great seeing all the places you lot have all been too. I have been to a handful of places no where near as exciting or impressive as some of the locations on here. I do regret only starting collecting last year - i think of all the fun i would have had in the US if i knew what i did now :O
Quote: "pearcem12"​Wow, it's great seeing all the places you lot have all been too. I have been to a handful of places no where near as exciting or impressive as some of the locations on here. I do regret only starting collecting last year - i think of all the fun i would have had in the US if i knew what i did now :O

​Oh man, Pearcem, I feel completely the same.

I so wished I collected when I visited the European countries I have visited before the Euro. I would have a lot more guldens, marken, schillingen en lira's haha. And other countries I visited, like Czech, Denmark and Sweden I would have brought so many more coins and banknotes, would have been fun indeed!!
Quote: "Salaction"
Quote: "pearcem12"​Wow, it's great seeing all the places you lot have all been too. I have been to a handful of places no where near as exciting or impressive as some of the locations on here. I do regret only starting collecting last year - i think of all the fun i would have had in the US if i knew what i did now :O
​​
​​
​​Oh man, Pearcem, I feel completely the same.

​I so wished I collected when I visited the European countries I have visited before the Euro. I would have a lot more guldens, marken, schillingen en lira's haha. And other countries I visited, like Czech, Denmark and Sweden I would have brought so many more coins and banknotes, would have been fun indeed!!
​You probably already know, but at the amazingly cheap rate local pre-Euro coins are available in buckets at local flea markets, it's probably going to be practically the same as coming back from the holidays with a handful of foreign coins. <:D

On the other hand it's a whole new game looking out for interesting Euro coins, especially commemoratives or those from faraway/low mintage countries that slipped into circulation. It's good shower thought material to ponder the journey of a Finnish Euro coin that ended up in your change in Spain.
Quote: "CassTaylor"
Quote: "Salaction"

​​​
​​​
​​​Oh man, Pearcem, I feel completely the same.
​​
​​I so wished I collected when I visited the European countries I have visited before the Euro. I would have a lot more guldens, marken, schillingen en lira's haha. And other countries I visited, like Czech, Denmark and Sweden I would have brought so many more coins and banknotes, would have been fun indeed!!
​​You probably already know, but at the amazingly cheap rate local pre-Euro coins are available in buckets at local flea markets, it's probably going to be practically the same as coming back from the holidays with a handful of foreign coins. <:D

​On the other hand it's a whole new game looking out for interesting Euro coins, especially commemoratives or those from faraway/low mintage countries that slipped into circulation. It's good shower thought material to ponder the journey of a Finnish Euro coin that ended up in your change in Spain.
​I do know :) but as a poor student everything is expensive haha :D also it was about the fun pearcem also mentioned :P and yeah I agree, I do like looking for euro coins, always checking the coins :P And also a pain in the same time when you can't find that Finnish 1 Euro cent grr :'(
My visited countries:

I used the "Eckert 3" projection in which the Equator is in the middle rather than placed lower, which artificially inflates the northern continents and countries (especially Canada).

You have to enlarge Europe enough to show Andorra:

₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
I played a little with trip advisor's map, result from working trips and a 3 year France - Australia sailing journey.
Good fun and some coins :D. I thought I had travelled a bit, Trip says 19 % of the world ...
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
@Ecapoe Mine says 23% of the world... I have no idea what they're basing that statistic off. Maybe number of sovereign country you have set foot in? (since my 39/193 is roughly 20% or so).
Quote: "CassTaylor"​@Ecapoe Mine says 23% of the world... I have no idea what they're basing that statistic off. Maybe number of sovereign country you have set foot in? (since my 39/193 is roughly 20% or so).
Probably the surface you have covered regarding the cities you pined or the number of kilometers display next to it : I have visited less countries than you (about 20's) but I got 26% of the world traveled with 565 cities.
I love travelling, and I've been doing in far too little. Have a lot of travel plans though 0:)

Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
I believe I visited 35 different countries. My south eastern tip was Koh Chang in Thailand, 68 years after the French Navy beat the Royal Thai one in 1941.

My western most was California, from which I especially remember the great sceneries, and my northern most was Finnish Lapland.
Quote: "jokinen"​I believe I visited 35 different countries. My south eastern tip was Koh Chang in Thailand, 68 years after the French Navy beat the Royal Thai one in 1941.

​My western most was California, from which I especially remember the great sceneries, and my northern most was Finnish Lapland.
​My own northernmost is also Lapland, in the Arctic Circle; easternmost (and southernmost too) would be New Zealand, and westernmost is Lisbon in Portugal.
.... :° http://www.atlasdigitalmaps.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/c/eckertivus100main.png
Catalogue administrator
Quote: "jokinen"​I believe I visited 35 different countries. My south eastern tip was Koh Chang in Thailand, 68 years after the French Navy beat the Royal Thai one in 1941.

​My western most was California, from which I especially remember the great sceneries, and my northern most was Finnish Lapland.
I have visited 34 countries/territories (depending on how you count Gibraltar (UK), Hong Kong (SAR), Macau (SAR), Faroe Islands (DK), Taiwan (RoC).

My northenmost point in Swedish Lappland, my westernmost point is Vancouver, my easternmost point is Kyoto, and my southernmlst point is somewhere on the B100, southwest of Melbourne.
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Quote: "Jarcek"​.... :° http://www.atlasdigitalmaps.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/c/eckertivus100main.png

​​To have the Americas in the centre must be the worst version of the world map, since you cut Asia in two. T.T
Quote: "ngdawa"
Quote: "Jarcek"​.... :° http://www.atlasdigitalmaps.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/c/eckertivus100main.png
​​
​​
​​​To have the Americas in the centre must be the worst version of the world map, since you cut Asia in two. T.T
​Whatever your heart wishes. Here you go, double Greenland. I wish there was twice as many good Icelandic footballers though. :D

http://bpsettlement.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/world-map-india-centric-fresh-australian-map-world-australia-centric-world-map-australian-valid-download-australian-map-world-of-world-map-india-centric-fresh-australian-map-world-australia-centric-wo.png
Catalogue administrator
Quote: "Jarcek"

​​​
​​​
​​​​To have the Americas in the centre must be the worst version of the world map, since you cut Asia in two. T.T
​​Whatever your heart wishes. Here you go, double Greenland. I wish there was twice as many good Icelandic footballers though. :D

http://bpsettlement.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/world-map-india-centric-fresh-australian-map-world-australia-centric-world-map-australian-valid-download-australian-map-world-of-world-map-india-centric-fresh-australian-map-world-australia-centric-wo.png
​that's a little weird too, but at least you don't cut countries in half..

i remember when i was like nine and our techer told us she was going to new zealand..a guy raised his hand and asked "which one?", since there were two on the map :O:P

https://geology.com/store/wall-maps/world-physical-map-lg.jpg
​​
​​
​​​To have the Americas in the centre must be the worst version of the world map, since you cut Asia in two. T.T
Yeah, I've heard all the arguments about both the Euro-centric, Asia-centric and America-centric versions of the world map being proponents of imperialism and of inflated self-importance by their respective centralised people(s).

I think it's all an issue of overthinking cartographical placement, but let's all just get a globe to make everyone happy (and be more accurate with regards to projection anyway). :D

​​​
​​​
​​​​To have the Americas in the centre must be the worst version of the world map, since you cut Asia in two. T.T
​Yeah, I've heard all the arguments about both the Euro-centric, Asia-centric and America-centric versions of the world map being proponents of imperialism and of inflated self-importance by their respective centralised people(s).

​I think it's all an issue of overthinking cartographical placement, but let's all just get a globe to make everyone happy (and be more accurate with regards to projection anyway). :D
​i'm not interested in arguments, just stating the fact that asia was cut in half, which is weird..but it's also weird to have two new zealands, and two greenlands and icelands..that's the problem with making something that is round flat..
Hello,
I don't know what sort of imperialism is behind that but I have never seen people of the southern hemisphere print maps like this:

As a kid there were running jokes about people leaving "upside down" :D
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
In case it wasn't clear, I'm not supporting any supposed arguments of "imperialism"; I use the Europe-centric map myself, and have always done so out of simply tradition and inertia, so take that as you will. ;)

@Ecapoe
I read an article about an Australian fellow who created the first such south facing up map, supposedly because he was being teased for being from the "bottom of the world"- can't find the article but sure found the map:
There are maps you can purchase with the south oriented at the top. I've been to more than 40 of the US states...Canada...Mexico...Belize...Honduras...Jamaica...Cayman Islands...South Korea...Taiwan...France...Germany...Italy...the Vatican...Egypt...Israel... I love travel and hope to keep travelling.
Library Media Specialist, columnist, collector, and gardener...
I've been twice in Germany and three times in Czech Rep.; once in Malta, Italy and Georgia. I'm not counting my native Poland and my current home in Scotland (UK). I guess I should travel more.
AUstralia

South Africa

:))
Medieval sets for swap:https://en.numista.com/forum/topic140941.html

My personal list of scammers from Numista: erniemix, yvain, CassTaylor
Great to see this thread still going strong! :`

I've always found it weird that I've been to places like Japan and Indonesia, but not Belgium or Ireland, for example. I think I'm going to make it a goal of mine to visit every EU member state + Iceland after I've settled down in a more permanent address.
42 of 50 US states, including the non-contiguous Alaska and Hawaii, and 15 other countries :Canada, Mexico, Gautama, Peru, Germany, France, Austria, Spain, Switzerland, Italy, Vatican City (yeah it's a separate country), Morocco, Thailand, Cambodia, and Nepal
Quote: "sc.rednek"​42 of 50 US states, including the non-contiguous Alaska and Hawaii, and 15 other countries :Canada, Mexico, Gautama, Peru, Germany, France, Austria, Spain, Switzerland, Italy, Vatican City (yeah it's a separate country), Morocco, Thailand, Cambodia, and Nepal
​Do you mean Guatemala, maybe?
Quote: "sc.rednek"​42 of 50 US states, including the non-contiguous Alaska and Hawaii, and 15 other countries :Canada, Mexico, Gautama, Peru, Germany, France, Austria, Spain, Switzerland, Italy, Vatican City (yeah it's a separate country), Morocco, Thailand, Cambodia, and Nepal
​​Do you mean Guatemala, maybe?
​Yeah, I missed a couple letters there, sorry!
I visited Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech, Germany, Italy, Poland, Austria and Israel.
Quote: "sc.rednek"

​​​Do you mean Guatemala, maybe?
​​Yeah, I missed a couple letters there, sorry!
​No great crime there :P

I suggest having a go at this game I found here:
https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/world
Quote: "CassTaylor"​​No great crime there :P

​I suggest having a go at this game I found here:
https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/world
​i am the worse in typing on a phone, plus my wife rang me when about 10 min left..

I went to the UK (Wales, England and Scotland), the Netherlands, France, Spain, Germany (Trier only) and Morocco. And of course in Belgium.
I’ve been doing 4 or 5 short trips annually to new places for the last couple years and foresee doing that in the medium term as well atleast. This year, I visited Atlanta and New York for the first time... Boston is coming up, then Belgium and finally Philadelphia most likely.
Aside from that, I picked up another nasty habit a couple years ago after seeing my friends collection... no not coins...fridge magnets. My problem is that I can never decide which one magnet I like, so I end up usually buying 2 or three of each place

Outings administrator
Quote: "ashlobo"​I’ve been doing 4 or 5 short trips annually to new places for the last couple years and foresee doing that in the medium term as well atleast. This year, I visited Atlanta and New York for the first time... Boston is coming up, then Belgium and finally Philadelphia most likely.
​Aside from that, I picked up another nasty habit a couple years ago after seeing my friends collection... no not coins...fridge magnets. My problem is that I can never decide which one magnet I like, so I end up usually buying 2 or three of each place

​Something tells me that's probably a cheaper hobby than numismatics, lol! :°
It could be expensive if he had to buy new fridges to store his collection X-D.

Trier is the only place I visited in Germany too : my step sister lives there. I love this city and it has a rich and long monetary history too :p
Quote: "Cycnos"​It could be expensive if he had to buy new fridges to store his collection X-D.

​Trier is the only place I visited in Germany too : my step sister lives there. I love this city and it has a rich and long monetary history too :p
​I would love to go to Trier partly because of its monetary history as you said and partly due to Karl Marx!
Quote: "Cycnos"​It could be expensive if he had to buy new fridges to store his collection X-D.

​Or if he decides to start collecting those rare limited edition frosted proof strike fridge magnets :D

No German-speaking places on my urgent want-to-go-to list are in Germany, but I really want to go to Vienna, Austria again sometime; last time was when I was 10 or 11; my parents took me to attend the Opera there, which I of course failed to appreciate at the time.. x.

There's also the Schoenbrunn and Hofburg Palaces, the seats of the Habsburg monarchy for centuries where decisions to shape the political map of Europe were taken by monarchs, competent and not so competent. It's akin to Versailles and the Hermitage in terms of historical relevance but sadly overlooked by many Anglophone tourists. When I visit historical sites I like to close my eyes and imagine what events took place right where my own feet are standing, separated only by the sands of time.
Well it sort of gets unduly expensive. I had visited Macau and HK in 2014 just before I started collecting magnets... back in Jan, i was passing through the HK airport, so I bought a set of HK and Macau magnets which came to something like C$25... I just wanted one of each, but all the loose ones looked pathetic and I’m a very picky person.
The Magnet collection has started pushing south along the fridge and now it’s overrun the freezer portion of the door. There’ll be lot more coming from Boston, Belgium, Lille, and Philadelphia soon.
I already have a short list of places I want to see next year - places in Mexico, Cuba, Belize, Spain, Portugal, Singapore, Indonesia, Bhutan, Kerala .... of course, I wont be able to do it all in one year... I’ll have to whittle down this list again
Outings administrator
Quote: "ashlobo"​Well it sort of gets unduly expensive. I had visited Macau and HK in 2014 just before I started collecting magnets... back in Jan, i was passing through the HK airport, so I bought a set of HK and Macau magnets which came to something like C$25... I just wanted one of each, but all the loose ones looked pathetic and I’m a very picky person.
​The Magnet collection has started pushing south along the fridge and now it’s overrun the freezer portion of the door. There’ll be lot more coming from Boston, Belgium, Lille, and Philadelphia soon.
​I already have a short list of places I want to see next year - places in Mexico, Cuba, Belize, Spain, Portugal, Singapore, Indonesia, Bhutan, Kerala .... of course, I wont be able to do it all in one year... I’ll have to whittle down this list again
C$25? For how many?
Thanks for visiting Hong Kong :`

SRL
Square root Lolly, I think it was 7 for $25... not a terribly bad price, but I would have been happier paying 8-10$ and getting just 2
Outings administrator
Got back from Belgium over the weekend and my tripadvisor map has a few more pins in it

Visited Brussels, Leuven, Liège, Mechelen, Antwerp, Ghent, Brugge, Mons as well as Lille in France

Outings administrator
Quote: "ashlobo"​Got back from Belgium over the weekend and my tripadvisor map has a few more pins in it

​Visited Brussels, Leuven, Liège, Mechelen, Antwerp, Ghent, Brugge, Mons as well as Lille in France

​i can't even get tripadvisor to work..since a few years back..
Try this link

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/TravelMapHome
Outings administrator
​Visited Brussels, Leuven, Liège, Mechelen, Antwerp, Ghent, Brugge, Mons as well as Lille in France

Now sounds like a particularly good time to visit those places, close to the centenary of the Armistice (that ended WWI). I wanted to be in Paris on the 11th of November, but looks like I have other commitments.

Speaking of centenary events for WWI in France/Belgium:
http://www.leparisien.fr/oise-60/compiegne-la-clairiere-de-l-armistice-sur-tous-les-fronts-pour-le-11-novembre-25-08-2018-7864224.php
Quote: "ashlobo"​​
​​Visited Brussels, Leuven, Liège, Mechelen, Antwerp, Ghent, Brugge, Mons as well as Lille in France
​​
​​

​​
​​
​Now sounds like a particularly good time to visit those places, close to the centenary of the Armistice (that ended WWI). I wanted to be in Paris on the 11th of November, but looks like I have other commitments.

​Speaking of centenary events for WWI in France/Belgium:
http://www.leparisien.fr/oise-60/compiegne-la-clairiere-de-l-armistice-sur-tous-les-fronts-pour-le-11-novembre-25-08-2018-7864224.php
​I did see this plaque in Mons Town hall which was very unexpected!

I would have liked to go to Vimy, however I’ll leave that for another time. Speaking of which, the RCM has released a new toonie in colour and non colour today

Outings administrator

Quote: "ashlobo"​​​
​​​Visited Brussels, Leuven, Liège, Mechelen, Antwerp, Ghent, Brugge, Mons as well as Lille in France
​​​
​​​
​​
​​​
​​​
​​Now sounds like a particularly good time to visit those places, close to the centenary of the Armistice (that ended WWI). I wanted to be in Paris on the 11th of November, but looks like I have other commitments.
​​
​​Speaking of centenary events for WWI in France/Belgium:
​​http://www.leparisien.fr/oise-60/compiegne-la-clairiere-de-l-armistice-sur-tous-les-fronts-pour-le-11-novembre-25-08-2018-7864224.php
​​I did see this plaque in Mons Town hall which was very unexpected!

​I would have liked to go to Vimy, however I’ll leave that for another time. Speaking of which, the RCM has released a new toonie in colour and non colour today

Got this beauty at a garage sale here in Ontario not too long ago, felt it was fair to post it here.
I collect anything: If it's Italian or Italian states i collect it even more!
Quote: "loruca"

​​

Quote: "ashlobo"​​​​
​​​​Visited Brussels, Leuven, Liège, Mechelen, Antwerp, Ghent, Brugge, Mons as well as Lille in France
​​​​
​​​​
​​​
​​​​
​​​​
​​​Now sounds like a particularly good time to visit those places, close to the centenary of the Armistice (that ended WWI). I wanted to be in Paris on the 11th of November, but looks like I have other commitments.
​​​
​​​Speaking of centenary events for WWI in France/Belgium:
​​​http://www.leparisien.fr/oise-60/compiegne-la-clairiere-de-l-armistice-sur-tous-les-fronts-pour-le-11-novembre-25-08-2018-7864224.php
​​​I did see this plaque in Mons Town hall which was very unexpected!
​​
​​I would have liked to go to Vimy, however I’ll leave that for another time. Speaking of which, the RCM has released a new toonie in colour and non colour today
​​
​​
​​
​Got this beauty at a garage sale here in Ontario not too long ago, felt it was fair to post it here.
​very nice! The guide on my walking tour in Bruges mentioned that theres a plaque somewhere dedicated to a Battalion from Manitoba who also helped liberate that city
Outings administrator
Very interesting. And how do you read the date?

Someone knew his Latin well ...
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Quote: "Camerinvs"​Very interesting. And how do you read the date?

​Someone knew his Latin well ...
​I noticed that too- it always confused me that November was the 11th month of the year rather than the 9th, until I found out it used to be the 9th before January and February were added.
This abbreviation was commonly used in France few decades ago.

I found them very often in parish records and civil registries.

As Camerinus said, the last months used the latin numeral :
7bre = Septem'bre = Septembre
8bre = Octo'bre = Octobre
9bre > Novem'bre = Novembre
Xbre > Decem'bre = Décembre (usually in roman notation for that one, but "10bre" can be find as well)

For the other months it's just the first letter followed in superscript by the last ones :
Jer = Janvier (January)
Fer = Février (February)
Jet = Juillet (July)
The other ones (Mars, Avril, Mai, Juin and Août (August)) stayed like that.

We don't really use those abbreviations anymore.
I'm going back to Italy :love: later this month (from 25th Oct to 5th November). If a fellow coin collector would like to drink a glass of beer in Verona with me, let me know :)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 10:47.