Menu

Where's a good place to get UNC currency sets?

WHATEVERR
I used to buy copious amounts of bulk lots to build up my world coin collection, but I'm considering converting to collecting only XF/AU/UNC coins. So I'd like to fill my collection with lots of sets. Not really interested in 'novelty' country sets. Also, I saw some ebay sellers who sell large quantities of coin rolls of all different coins from all different countries, how exactly do they get these? Thought it might be a good way of building a swap list.

Thanks,

George
CassTaylor
Most (physical) coin stores worth their salt usually have a few of those UNC sets from as far back as the 1970s (the most common one I've seen in the UK is the last pre-decimal coins set (1970)).

Someone else can answer the question about bank rolls in more depth but I'd bet on going to local banks, and then buying/selling/exchanging them with collectors doing the same in their own countries elsewhere.
Une Franglaise; ♪ je brosse ma chevelure ♫
guter_riecher
In Germany the cheapest way to get recently issued UNC coins is to simply pick them up at the Bundesbank for face value. There is usually no limit for the 2 € and 20 € commemoratives and neither for the regular 1 cent to 2 € coins. Only the 5 € coins, which for some reason are really popular, were limited to 1 per person per day.

They also sell UNC sets each year in a nice coin card, but those are sold for 13,35 € and only contain 5,88 € face value.
Thomas2k
Most official coin sets are way overpriced these days and Germany is not the worst culprit. Just check the Royal Mint prices. £30 for the 2018 BU set, with a face value of £3.88.
Trp
Every now and then I find sets released by some third party company and these may sell for couple of euros (or even below face value):

Original issuing price would have one zero in the end but check internet auctions and such places. Usually same seller have these from various countries as these have sold as "the set of the month". Many may have inherited these and they just want to get rid of them.
aaronmgd
Quote: "WHATEVERR"​I used to buy copious amounts of bulk lots to build up my world coin collection, but I'm considering converting to collecting only XF/AU/UNC coins. So I'd like to fill my collection with lots of sets. Not really interested in 'novelty' country sets. Also, I saw some ebay sellers who sell large quantities of coin rolls of all different coins from all different countries, how exactly do they get these? Thought it might be a good way of building a swap list.

​Thanks,

​George
​I have many sets from different countries. England, canada, israel...
pm me if interested.
thanks,
Aaron
Courtesy is the one coin you can never have too much of or be stingy with.

Coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all your money and still have some left.
Bas S Warwick
>

PM sent re my available spares

UK 1953 pre-decimal 9 coin set

New Zealand 1967, 1968 complete sets (Reserve Bank issued)

I also have UNC crowns - UK and NZ

Strong character is brought out by change!

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 02:13PM.