Here's the coin page:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces33991.html

data of my coin:
diameter: 30 mm
weight: 12.93 g

it's a bit too light and the grade looks to good to be real

any thoughts are welcome

thomas
IMHO, The image on the coin page looks extensively more fake than yours ...
? Format  Format  Format ?   ?
Do not argue with ignorant people .. !! They will drag you down to their level, then pulverize you with experience ...
Honestly quite hard to say. Maybe it's just your photos but the mushy details on the bust don't seem like a good sign... the surfaces also seem very "bland", unlike the coin page's photo where you have kind of a nice patina all over.

Although... the edge lettering looks very good if it is a fake, and weight isn't off by too much either, plus details might be wear, and surface might just be because of photos/cleaning so I wouldn't condemn it as fake just yet. I'd say real with 75% certainty.
Thomas,
I regret to confirm your doubts. Your piece is a fake. Suffice to compare the letters on the 1885 Heritage coin and yours.
I collect coins and tokens which circulated in Africa from 18th century to 2000. I sell about 7000 illustrated world coins from http://www.avscoins.com.
Im not sure about the lettering being fake...
It looks very similar to the picture on heritage, in my opinion (Im not a expert) :)

Its also not very rare of a coin (But I know coins from the Spanish colonial Philippines are often fakes).

I hope this helps in anyway, :)
ShadowyEnigma
I am curious... what markings are on this coin to indicate mintage or usage in the Philippines? If I were holding this, I would assume it is from Spain.
The main clue is the denomination as Spain never used the pesos but the pesetas instead.
Quote: "Cycnos"​The main clue is the denomination as Spain never used the pesos but the pesetas instead.
​This, and a 50 centimos (de peseta) that was circulating in Spain at the same time was a much smaller LMU standard silver coin.
Quote: "ShadowyEnigma"​Im not sure about the lettering being fake...
​It looks very similar to the picture on heritage, in my opinion (Im not a expert) :)

​Its also not very rare of a coin (But I know coins from the Spanish colonial Philippines are often fakes).

​I hope this helps in anyway, :)
​ShadowyEnigma
​Maybe these comparative pictures (left - Heritage coin) help you see the difference. Could these 5s ans Ss be by any chance struck with the same die?

I collect coins and tokens which circulated in Africa from 18th century to 2000. I sell about 7000 illustrated world coins from http://www.avscoins.com.
@Andrey

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm withholding my judgement in case it's just bad unfocused photos.
It looks like silver though
Here are 2 more close up pictures of the date letters and the initials

the diameter is not quite 30mm it is only 29.75mm
Quote: "donmart"​Here are 2 more close up pictures of the date letters and the initials

​the diameter is not quite 30mm it is only 29.75mm
​Date looks fine, it's the coin's surface that has me worried now.
I tend to think it's real, probably gold plated and then someone tried to take that off.
i guess i see my doubts confirmed in the end

if i compare my initials to the real ones here:

and parts of the writing doesnt match up

theres not enough space between the l and the a in the legend

+ the surface, the difference in weight and diameter

thank you all for your inputs
thomas

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 06:14.