Menu

The first find

ameliaa.parkin
Hello! Where did you find your first coin?;)
Amelia Parkin
Iainmac
Hello Amelia Parkin, when I was an upholsterer we used to find about 10 coins a day down the back of old sofas and chairs, and all the lost pens. The best was re-upholstering nightclubs - you could find about 50 coins, notes, lighters and some more unsavoury items. Amazing what you can find lost down old furniture!.
The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor, Is king o' men for a' that.
luca biondi
My uncle worked on a ship in the 70's, most in the Mediterranean and Baltic sea and gave me a jar as a gift when I was children, here I start to classify my coins.
pnightingale
Quote: "Iainmac"​Hello Amelia Parkin, when I was an upholsterer we used to find about 10 coins a day down the back of old sofas and chairs, and all the lost pens. The best was re-upholstering nightclubs - you could find about 50 coins, notes, lighters and some more unsavoury items. Amazing what you can find lost down old furniture!.
Yes, me too! I worked part time for an upholsterer / furniture restorer in my teens. I learned some very valuable skills. Stripping down the old furniture to the frame was considered the worst job of all, it was dusty, dirty and often just plain nasty. But I loved it and volunteered to do it all, for the reasons above! ​
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Supreme Ruler and Dictator for Life of the 6th Avenue Coin, Stamp  & Rice Puller Club. President, Boss & Top Dawg for Hutt River.
Giobruno
My #1 coin is a 50 yen coin that I've found in the school yard when I was a kid, and I kept it as a lucky charm during the rest of my school years.
ALLRED1950
I really don't know. Growing up both grandpas collected, my dad, and my 3 older brothers. I think I had a blue 1 cent book before I could read. The odd thing is none of the women in my family collected.
AT THIS TIME IAM NO LONGER SWAPPING. I need too put things in order. And take some time off. Thank you yours daryl
JLHare
When I was 7 years old my grandfather passed away. After the funeral my mother handed me a cigar box that contained several Benjamin Franklin half dollars, Walking Liberty half dollars, some military script and a 1916 Barber dime. I was hooked then, I didn't really have money to really buy things so I collected arcade tokens at first. Unfortunately I do not have that Barber dime as my collection was stolen over 20 years ago. I do have a much bigger collection now in the past 20 years of rebuilding it.
I am a commercial truck driver over 48 states. I have all my swaps with me. Sometimes takes me a few days to get by a post office.
Iainmac
Quote: "pnightingale"
Quote: "Iainmac"​Hello Amelia Parkin, when I was an upholsterer we used to find about 10 coins a day down the back of old sofas and chairs, and all the lost pens. The best was re-upholstering nightclubs - you could find about 50 coins, notes, lighters and some more unsavoury items. Amazing what you can find lost down old furniture!.
​Yes, me too! I worked part time for an upholsterer / furniture restorer in my teens. I learned some very valuable skills. Stripping down the old furniture to the frame was considered the worst job of all, it was dusty, dirty and often just plain nasty. But I loved it and volunteered to do it all, for the reasons above! ​
​HaHa, nice one Phil, you reminded me of why I stopped doing upholstery, dirty, dusty even with the bonus of finding coins, years of stripping down old furniture enough is enough, there are easier ways of making a living I think?..
The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor, Is king o' men for a' that.
Bas S Warwick
First find was really a gift from my parents when I was very young - a GB Crown (.....Yes, I still have it).
Strong character is brought out by change!
NP1307
A lot of my first coins my dad had collected doing all sorts of odd jobs and as a garbage man which was his job when I was born; an incredible variety of world coins and some Australian Elizabeth II pre-decimals and one cents and two cents and the like. A family friend, when I was born, also gifted me my favourite coin - the Royal Flying Doctor $5 bimetallic.

On top of that, my grandfather died when I was four and I inherited his old initialled leather wallet with pre-Elizabeth II pennies and the South Australia & Adelaide centenary medallions. In addition I avidly searched (and still do search) my change for any and all commemoratives (and you'd find so many New Zealand coins as well) and I have lots of sports medallions from the newspapers back then though I'm not sure who those came from.

Essentially, collecting was ingrained in me from birth :p
ThePoet
My father tacked a Whitman folder to our basement wall. He died early in 1972 and I maintained the collection. In 1981 I moved west to Edmonton and took it with me. I now have complete penny collection from 1858 to 2012. Still working on the nickels, dimes, quarters and dollars. They are much more expensive. I inherited some old coins from my grandfather when he passed away. One was 1912 5$ gold coin and his medals from the first world war. This really got me going.
halfdisme
I started collecting when I was seven years old, living in Texas. My maternal grandparents lived in Arkansas, and I would spend a week with them every summer. When Grandpa knew I had started collecting, he took me to see some individuals that he thought would have coins to sell.

One older gentleman told me that he did not have any "old" coins, but he did have a half dollar that was bigger than a normal one. I was not interested in errors, but I did not want to offend him, so I asked to see it. He brought out an 1809 Bust half dollar, and used an 1863S Seated Liberty Half to prove that it was larger!

I bought the 1863S from him that day. (It cost me $3.50.)

When Dad came to get me that weekend, we went back and bought the 1809.
neilithicman
When I was a kid I found a 1900 UK penny on the site of an old building that had been demolished.
What? Me Worry
sarikanair
My uncle is a passionate coin collector. I was about 10 years old when he showed me his personal collection for the first time. I was very curious about the beautiful ancient Indian coins that he had in his collection. After looking at my enthusiasm, he picked up a silver coin of Akbar and handed it to me. I was so surprised that I still remember that moment....

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 08:54PM.