Common fake coins

11 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hi, by my title I mean common coins that have been faked, not common fake coins. I'm asking because I get a lot of job lots of coins from auctions, pick out some nice ones & ebay whats left.Sometimes I think, wow, thats nice, only to find out its not real. Got a lot lately, & in it were some nice looking coins, including a 1914 5 mark Friedrich/Marie, but it was fake. I can understand faking a coin which may be worth £10/20 £50 or more, but I also found a Canada 1889 25 cent coin, looked nice but only 4.8 grams, if real not worth a great deal, so why bother faking that?
Actually, just looked on the bay, those quarters may be worth more than I thought.
Hello,

Perhaps you want to post some pictures of these coins?

If you have a low-value coin that seems fake, perhaps it is a contemporary counterfeit.
Thanks for the reply, I'll try putting some pictures on tomorrow. It seems they will fake anything these days, whenever I come across a coin I cant find on here, I google the details & usually it comes up, and aliexpress or similar have them for sale.

These are the coins I got recently, not the usual knock offs you come across.
Thanks for the images, I can safely confirm the 1912 Russian coin, the 1914 Anhalt coin, the Italian coin and the Bavarian coin are definitely 100% fakes, no question about it; the Soviet one I'm 95% sure is fake, given the context in which you found it (with a bunch of other fakes).

The Canadian 25 Cents does seem fake, not even silver; but it doesn't seem like a contemporary counterfeit either... in general smaller coins are less usually targeted by modern forgers but I've seen fake British half crowns and Hong Kong 20 cent coins, so I wouldn't be surprised if yours just turns out to be a modern fake. I can't imagine why someone would go to the trouble of forging such a low value coin with little return on their effort though....
Quote: "trickyd"
​These are the coins I got recently, not the usual knock offs you come across.
​The Canadian 25 Cent is definitely a Chinese counterfeit produced by the HK Replica Coin Co. It displays all 4 reverse markers.

1. Bow end is too short.
2. Missing stem to Leaf R-1
3. Closed "C" in CENTS
4. Thick date digits (base of "1" weighted to the left).

I don't know if there are any online guides for fake detection but, my 2015 Charlton Catalogue has a whole chapter on 25 and 50 Cent fakes.

Why fake this? I would grade this as an EF (AU?) Closed 9 variety which by 2015 prices would be approximately $3,000 Cdn.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
Thanks for the input. I realised after I first posted that the 25c would be quite valuable , if genuine. They came in a large lot of unsorted coins, so didn't pay a huge lot so not cost me much.Nice looking coins though.
You'll notice that some legends, including that of the 1889 25 cents, have a rough surface. This is because the more prominent details on the coin are, of course, incused on the die, and therefore difficult to polish on a fake die produced from a real coin. This doesn't happen with a die that was engraved.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Just acquired about 50 chinese forgeries (with a 1804 1 US$, worth a couple of millions...)
A nice asset to my collection!
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
This seems to be a more famous Common fake. (counterfeit)
I pulled this out of a collection about 10 years ago.

This 1944 (no "P") Nickel was made in about 1954 by Francis Henning.

Here is an article about Henning Nickels. http://www.error-ref.com/henning-counterfeit-nickel/

Quote: "Peter M. Graham"
Quote: "trickyd"
​​These are the coins I got recently, not the usual knock offs you come across.
​​The Canadian 25 Cent is definitely a Chinese counterfeit produced by the HK Replica Coin Co. It displays all 4 reverse markers.

​1. Bow end is too short.
​2. Missing stem to Leaf R-1
​3. Closed "C" in CENTS
​4. Thick date digits (base of "1" weighted to the left).

​I don't know if there are any online guides for fake detection but, my 2015 Charlton Catalogue has a whole chapter on 25 and 50 Cent fakes.

​Why fake this? I would grade this as an EF (AU?) Closed 9 variety which by 2015 prices would be approximately $3,000 Cdn.

Now THAT is what I'd call a quality reply. Well done my friend - take a well deserved round of applause.​
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 13:20.