Krause catalog 20th century new editions

11 posts

» Quick access to the last post

So i've seen that the 20th century Krause catalog still has new editions. Is this because some rare coins have been identified, or it updates some other info? Is buying the latest edition worth it, or an older one sould do it?
I've been using a PDF of the 2017 44th edition of Krause SWC 1901-2000 for over half a year now; it's suited my needs and purposes just fine. I'd think any new updates of Krause are a combination of the two things you mentioned.
But do you think there's a great difference between editions? I mean, if i use a catalog from 2015 instead of a 2018 I should be fine anyways, right? Or are there major differences?
To be honest I think as long as it's within the last 5-10 years you should be fine with regards to the numismatic information for the most part, though I can't speak for the coin values that might have changed between editions.

Don't cite me on that number of years, though.
I think there are 2 reasons for the new editions:

1) Mistakes should be corrected, prices updates, and in general upgrade and add new known data, but don't see many of those,

2) KM and their dealers make more money on selling new editions, for new owners or for those who want a newer one.

Probably the 2nd is the main reason for new editions.
Just 10 options: you understand binary, or you don't.
Catalog Referee Coins, Banknotes & Exonumia: Uruguay, Cuba, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru, Paraguay, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Panama, Ecuador, Zamunda, Parva Domus and more.
I noticed the coin prices changed dramatically from my 2016 Charlton Standard Catalogue 70th Edition to the 2018 Charlton 72nd Edition. They went down for the most part. So that's important if you're using a catalogue for pricing your own coins. Otherwise, online coin sites like coinsandcanada.com are pretty much upgraded daily/weekly.
yes, the truth is, has always been, about coin collecting, the prices go down over time.
coins are not consumed and so become more scarce- rather, more are discovered all the time and let into the market, thus depressing scarcity value.
your "investment", if you are really in this as an investment, is doomed to decline.

if you want something that will only go up over time, look in to elephant ivory, or rhino horns. or other golden gooses we are sure kill very soon.

so long and short, the information in older editions will not change, though some minor editorial corrections may occur. The values become more 'realistic' with newer editions, but for a collector that is moot, and for an 'investor', well...
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
This might surprise you, but the largest market for new editions EVERY YEAR is probably the libraries, not the individual collector.

The 20th century catalog still represents what is probably the strongest part of the world coin market, so it is logical to keep publishing new editions annually for it and for the 21st century.

There are still many 20th century coins that are not in the catalog (Liberia 2000-dated issues, for example). Krause has also had some problems with the data transfer between its database and the catalog database, which resulted in entire countries (or significant portions of them) being omitted from certain editions.

Prices do change--both up and down--due to supply and demand, changes in values for precious metals, significant changes in foreign currency exchange values, etc.

Although I do buy a new 20th century catalog each year, you would probably do well with one every 3-5 years.

The catalog is just a price guide; the pricing will never be perfect.
I have now purchased the 2019 Krause catalog for 1901-2000, and I have begun using it. I have not noted any changes from the 2018 KM, but I have noticed some values where both KMs are different from the NGC World Coins Price Guide (which is supposed to be based on the same database as the KM catalogs!)
Quote: "halfdisme"​I have now purchased the 2019 Krause catalog for 1901-2000, and I have begun using it. I have not noted any changes from the 2018 KM, but I have noticed some values where both KMs are different from the NGC World Coins Price Guide (which is supposed to be based on the same database as the KM catalogs!)
​Is there any sort of announcement if KM#s are changed up?
Catalogue values are out of date before the catalogue is released. There are much more reliable valuation methods.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 09:11.