Interesting find while out playing frisbee golf

8 posts
I was playing some frisbee golf at a local park and right beside one of the baskets I saw a little bit of crockery poking out. I dug it out and it was a little ceramic ointment bottle.

I know from collecting NZ trade tokens that Holloways was established in the 1850s

But I had to pick up my wife and kids from the local museum anyway, so I asked one of the guys who worked there about it. He said the park used to be the grounds for a single house that was built in the 1870s and burned down just before 1900, so my lovely little pot is between 120 and 150 years old and valued around $40-$50. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open next time I'm out on a round!
What? Me Worry
What an interesting finding! :8D
You finally have something to tie up to the token.
I love tangible evidence like this...
Nice find!
very nice,indeed
It is, what it is, or is it.
It even has the same (or similar) motif as the reverse of the token!
This is quite a nice little find! Make sure you don't clean it with anything oily because the oil will seep into the crack, further expanding it.

Krause 1801-1900 lists the Holloway tokens under Australia, but I suppose they circulated just as much in New Zealand. Indeed back in 1889 James Atkins placed them under New Zealand.

This reminds me of my chance discovery on eBay of an invoice from a store which produced two well known Canadian tokens:

₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Quote: "Camerinvs"​This is quite a nice little find! Make sure you don't clean it with anything oily because the oil will seep into the crack, further expanding it.

​Krause 1801-1900 lists the Holloway tokens under Australia, but I suppose they circulated just as much in New Zealand. Indeed back in 1889 James Atkins placed them under New Zealand.

​This reminds me of my chance discovery on eBay of an invoice from a store which produced two well known Canadian tokens:

​I just washed the last of the soil off with water.

That invoice is pretty cool, everything seemed to be so much more decorative back in the day.
What? Me Worry
Quote: "neilithicman"
​That invoice is pretty cool, everything seemed to be so much more decorative back in the day.
​You may have noticed that the token at the top (also in the Numista catalogue) shows the same building as on the invoice.

Yes, engravings were so much nicer. People who collect stamps can appreciate, I hope, the difference between the early, often superb engraved stamps and what is produced now.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 18:45.