Hello Everyone - reverse standing in boat Greek or Roman? facing left [solved]

5 posts

OK as part of my sanity I need to catalogue my collection, and this is my first attempt to identify what I have not been able to identify with another persons help. I figure after 12 years that it is time so here we go !
It's a roman bronze coin.

Precise identification will be almost impossible as mintmark, that should be in exergue, is not readable from what I see. Other side of the coin could still help identify the ruler.
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
thank you kindly sir

here is a picture of the front
My first guess was slightly wrong by 30 years :P

With both pictures, here is data on your coin:
  • It's a bronze coin of Theodosius, dating from late 4th century (around 385).
  • Obverse: Lettering is most probably DN THEODOSIVS PF AVG (you may see the part HEODO on the left of your coin). Design shows the bust of Theodosius to right, helmeted (crest is clearly identifiable on top of the head), diademed (yours probably has pearl-diadem rather than rosette, hard to say given coin condition); probably holding a shield and a spear (again, coin condition doesn't really allow to see these details but they should be on bottom part of the bust).
  • Reverse: Lettering is GLORIA ROMANORVM. Design is almost what I said at first and represents the emperor standing left on galley, raising right hand, with small Victory at right steering the galley.

Here are some examples similar to your coin.
And here are 4 examples of similar coin on Numista: 1, 2, 3, 4.
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
Thank you I really appreciate that! Have a great day!

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 17:00.