Silver coins - ? cleaning or not cleaning

24 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hi everyone ,
I got some silver coins and its hard to find the details in some of them , do you guys clean these type of coins , if yes how would you do that ?
Thanks
Vinu

Generally I am against cleaning but in some cases if done without harm its up to you to decide.
If the toning is considered undesirable it is usually called tarnished.
Best without doing much harm would be clean one by one with baking soda, apply some to each side and add a bit of water. Gently! rub it with your index and thumb fingers, add more water to remove any baking soda left. Once finished dry very gently with a microfiber towel.

Bottom row third counting from the right, looks to have some greenish colour on it. That should be PVC damage, here Acetone might be the best way to clean it.
Bottom row third counting from the left, maybe no need to clean it (Your choice) but I think it looks lovely as is.

Good luck on the results.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Quote: "apuking"​Generally I am against cleaning but in some cases if done without harm its up to you to decide.
​If the toning is considered undesirable it is usually called tarnished.
​Best without doing much harm would be clean one by one with baking soda, apply some to each side and add a bit of water. Gently! rub it with your index and thumb fingers, add more water to remove any baking soda left. Once finished dry very gently with a microfiber towel.

​Bottom row third counting from the right, looks to have some greenish colour on it. That should be PVC damage, here Acetone might be the best way to clean it.
​Bottom row third counting from the left, maybe no need to clean it (Your choice) but I think it looks lovely as is.

​Good luck on the results.
​Thank you, I was worried about the Thailand coins. I probably would try the baking soda
Thanks again for your help

Baking soda--or any kind of rubbing--will mark the coins as cleaned.

The best method I have found is to use a product called eZest, which can be purchased from a coin dealer or coin supplies dealer. Rinse the coin in lukewarm water; then dip it for about 10 seconds only; then rinse it again. Pat it dry with a cotton cloth (a T-shirt undershirt works well)--do not rub.

You will not get them totally white, unless you want to ruin the surfaces.

Experiment with some cheaper coins before you touch any of those nice Thai coins.
Some of your coins should not be cleaned, including both Egyptian and the Hong Kong.

Also note that, if the black is actually metal transfer from being stored in a metal can, no amount of "dip" or baking soda is going to remove it.
The William IV coin on the 2nd row has already been dipped, I reckon. If you try a second time it's very likely that it will turn an ugly flat white. Most of the coins look great just the way they are, although there's three of them which have more in the way of tarnish than patina.

If I was keeping them I'd try dipping them, in exactly the manner described above, even down to the product choice. It really does work when used judiciously and while there's no substitute for a nice aged patina, if done correctly you will turn a black lump with obscure details into a blank canvas on which you can encourage a nice even tone over time.

A word of caution though. It's very tempting after an initial success to get carried away. Those coins which may be improved by dipping are few and far between.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Quote: "halfdisme"​Baking soda--or any kind of rubbing--will mark the coins as cleaned.

​The best method I have found is to use a product called eZest, which can be purchased from a coin dealer or coin supplies dealer. Rinse the coin in lukewarm water; then dip it for about 10 seconds only; then rinse it again. Pat it dry with a cotton cloth (a T-shirt undershirt works well)--do not rub.

​You will not get them totally white, unless you want to ruin the surfaces.

​Experiment with some cheaper coins before you touch any of those nice Thai coins.
​Thank you for your clear advise
i will try the eZest

Quote: "pnightingale"​The William IV coin on the 2nd row has already been dipped, I reckon. If you try a second time it's very likely that it will turn an ugly flat white. Most of the coins look great just the way they are, although there's three of them which have more in the way of tarnish than patina.

​If I was keeping them I'd try dipping them, in exactly the manner described above, even down to the product choice. It really does work when used judiciously and while there's no substitute for a nice aged patina, if done correctly you will turn a black lump with obscure details into a blank canvas on which you can encourage a nice even tone over time.

​A word of caution though. It's very tempting after an initial success to get carried away. Those coins which may be improved by dipping are few and far between.
​Thank you

Quote: "vinumohan"
Quote: "halfdisme"​Baking soda--or any kind of rubbing--will mark the coins as cleaned.
​​
​​The best method I have found is to use a product called eZest, which can be purchased from a coin dealer or coin supplies dealer. Rinse the coin in lukewarm water; then dip it for about 10 seconds only; then rinse it again. Pat it dry with a cotton cloth (a T-shirt undershirt works well)--do not rub.
​​
​​You will not get them totally white, unless you want to ruin the surfaces.
​​
​​Experiment with some cheaper coins before you touch any of those nice Thai coins.
​​Thank you for your clear advise
​i will try the eZest
​Make sure that you rinse it thoroughly after dipping--let the water run over it a few seconds. It could spot the coin if not removed.
Cleaning coins is almost an art form that improves with experience. The first rule is to make it appear the coin has never been cleaned after you are done. 'Dip' only works well on AU or UNC silver. It is best applied with a Q tip for control. I will usually clean with acetone to remove surface dirt and oils before dipping. Acetone and a Q tip works well with other metals without disturbing the patina of the coin. Do it correctly and the cleaning is unnoticeable even if you are submitting the coin for slabbing.

Ernie
The blackened coins maybe with hot water and a brief lemon rub, the rest hell naw. Any cleaning will ruin the patina and tone on a better condition (VF plus or any lustre) piece and look wrong with streaks.

Never ever use commercial jewellery cleaner, brasso, silvio or any type of abrasive cleaner or cloth. Cleaning is a last resort and sometimes soaking in hotwater may even help, do NOT rub or scrub the coins with any brush or harsh cloth. Wipe lightly with a soft cloth. Silver is very soft and malleable.

The William IV rupee is nice and leave it as is.
I love coins
Quote: "Moneytane"​The blackened coins maybe with hot water and a brief lemon rub, the rest hell naw. Any cleaning will ruin the patina and tone on a better condition (VF plus or any lustre) piece and look wrong with streaks.

​Never ever use commercial jewellery cleaner, brasso, silvio or any type of abrasive cleaner or cloth. Cleaning is a last resort and sometimes soaking in hotwater may even help, do NOT rub or scrub the coins with any brush or harsh cloth. Wipe lightly with a soft cloth. Silver is very soft and malleable.

​The William IV rupee is nice and leave it as is.
​Thank you

I clean mine with a little isopropyl alcohol and a soft cotton makeup pad. It will remove any gunk and grime but leave all the nice natural toning intact. Having all the grease from people's fingers taken off really makes the details pop.
What? Me Worry
Isopropyl alcohol is indeed good against dirt, grease or nikotin. But before all i give my coins a relaxing bath in an ultrasonic cleaner.
Quote: "neilithicman"​I clean mine with a little isopropyl alcohol and a soft cotton makeup pad. It will remove any gunk and grime but leave all the nice natural toning intact. Having all the grease from people's fingers taken off really makes the details pop.
​Yes Neil, likewise I have had some really pleasing results with IPA, particularly with copper and bronze coins. Gets rid of all that built up gunk and crud then lo and behold the inner beauty of the coin is finally revealed, often with toning and sometimes even lustre that was previously invisible.
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
Quote: "erniemix"​Cleaning coins is almost an art form that improves with experience. The first rule is to make it appear the coin has never been cleaned after you are done. 'Dip' only works well on AU or UNC silver. It is best applied with a Q tip for control. I will usually clean with acetone to remove surface dirt and oils before dipping. Acetone and a Q tip works well with other metals without disturbing the patina of the coin. Do it correctly and the cleaning is unnoticeable even if you are submitting the coin for slabbing.

​Ernie
​This is the key... if you have a coin that is unc or so, it can sometimes come out great with a quick dip done correctly. It won't do anything but remove uneven toning or surface residue. If the coin grade is below that area, it will look cleaned because it will be blast white but with no patina and with the accumulated wear. That is what I avoid when doing this with silver coins. It can take sometime to figure out exactly which coins are best served with this cleaning but it is well worth the time to figure it out.
What is your standing on applying lacquer to a (copper, zink, silver) coin, to prevent it from further deterioration?
Quote: "Dejan"​What is your standing on applying lacquer to a (copper, zink, silver) coin, to prevent it from further deterioration?
​This was almost universally accepted as being a good thing right up until the 60s. It's still possible to find coins with a pre war coating of lacquer still intact. Better storage materials have seen the end of this trend but overall I'd say it was a net positive. Entire generations of coins were spared from deterioration by long dead collector's efforts. If you don't care for the coating - maybe it's discolored over the years - acetone will remove it almost instantly.

I wouldn't advise anyone to use it today given the well funded suspicions around altered surfaces and the changing tastes of collectors. What may have been beneficial for a lightly circulated gem pulled from circulation by a sharp eyed schoolboy probably won't work on modern proof "coins" celebrating the 32nd anniversary of the toaster oven.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
I have this copper Netherlands beautiful medal that is 337 years old ...
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces114689.html [1683]
and those are my pictures, which show the now darkened old lacquer still on it.
Further down that page is an example of what it looked like when minted.
Not looked at it for years so can not remember if those surface markings are
on the medal or the lacquer - either way I will not be removing it.
In my opinion, lacquer should not be considered to decreasing the value of a coin. Like old instruments: it keeps their sound - and their look - fresh for hundreds of years. True - most organic lacquers have a tendency to darken over decades but it is less serious than oxidation on less noble metals and can be cleaned in acetone and re-lacquered again.
DON'T CLEAN COINS , especially if you don't know what you are doing. As cleaning may result in collector only want them for close to melt prices so unless you are happy with them being bright and shiny and only care about the silver value.
Hey guys

My dad (who sadly passed away a few months ago) left me these silver coins. He didn't have a collection, but he was born in 1947 when these coins minted,that's why he kept them. As you can see, there is an ink draw on one of the coins and I am considering to remove this stain from this, but because there is an emotional value for me, I don't want to wreck the coin. What do you suggest, how can I clean, lukewarm water and soap, or lime, vinegar? Or leave it as it came to me?

Thanks for your answers
Check my collection: https://www.instagram.com/coinsmaniac/?hl=hu
Quote: "Prewitt"​Hey guys

​My dad (who sadly passed away a few months ago) left me these silver coins. He didn't have a collection, but he was born in 1947 when these coins minted,that's why he kept them. As you can see, there is an ink draw on one of the coins and I am considering to remove this stain from this, but because there is an emotional value for me, I don't want to wreck the coin. What do you suggest, how can I clean, lukewarm water and soap, or lime, vinegar? Or leave it as it came to me?

​Thanks for your answers
​Hello and most of all, health.

The coins have already been cleaned recently , alcohol or and sodium , using a cotton swab on a stick.
Look at number,, 9,, cleaned on one side and on the other not . It was no longer possible in places that were not easily accessible , it was amateurish but the effort was have a beautiful coin. But the beauty is in that patina of that time. Just look at both ,,9,,
It's only , and just my opinion -and I would like to be wrong.

Greeting Ivan
One of my favorite topics, and some interesting replies.
I am all for “original surfaces”, I despair to see scouring lines and worse rings! but that black gunk , we all know , is composed of the detritus of human hands , and we all know where those have been, so I wash that * off.
Acetone is the purifying solvent for that. It will not alter the metallic surface.
No touching soak and rinse. Repeat as needed.
This is for silver, Bronze coins May react, read more.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 07:47.