Best Canadian Auction Houses, or any Auction House

9 posts
I plan on consigning my rare 1858 Province of Canada One Cent coin with Upset Dies.

Totally new to coin collecting, although I have researched a lot in the past few months. However, I have no knowledge or experience with coin auction houses.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions from Numista members who have used auction houses, and their experiences, good & bad.

Any recommendations?
Pick up a copy of Canadian Coin News. The June edition talks about the Torex Auction. It is hosted by The Canadian Numismatic Auction Company. Not sure how you get coins into the show as you might have to go through a registered dealer. Everyone will want a cut of the price. So I would recommend you go to a local dealer and see if they can do it for you. They may have a customer who is looking for such a coin and you could bypass the auction altogether. Know the value of the coin before making a deal and understand what you want to get for it.
I believe the other "big" Canadian auction house is Geoffrey Bell Auctions (www.gbellauctions.com).
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
Quote: "ThePoet"​Pick up a copy of Canadian Coin News. The June edition talks about the Torex Auction. It is hosted by The Canadian Numismatic Auction Company. Not sure how you get coins into the show as you might have to go through a registered dealer. Everyone will want a cut of the price. So I would recommend you go to a local dealer and see if they can do it for you. They may have a customer who is looking for such a coin and you could bypass the auction altogether. Know the value of the coin before making a deal and understand what you want to get for it.
​I contacted Royal Canadian Numismatic Auction directly via email. They said I could put it in the October Torex auction. All I have to do is courier it to them, and they will take it on consignment for a 5% consignment fee, which is a very low % fee. When I consign items to regular auctions (paintings, 1st Nations art, etc.) they generally charge 20-25%.

So that is what the plan is. Anyone interested in my 1858 Province of Canada One Cent with Upset Dies (certified F-12 by ICCS) can find it there. RCNA estimates the value at $4,000 - $8,000.
Hi again Forum Members

For a long time,
I have been trying to find the 3rd known certified example of the 1858 one cent with upset dies (other than my ICCS version, which should be the 4th known example).
I found this Geoffrey Bell auction from April 22, 2016 on iCollector, with the "Item Description" as
"ICCS F-12. Damaged. This is the third certified"

https://www.icollector.com/1858-One-Cent-Upset-Dies_i24441013

Interesting. The Geoffrey Bell one went for $750, but it is pretty badly damaged.

I understand yours didn't sell at the 2018 Torex auction? It's only a matter of time. It should not be too hard to find someone who will want it, especially that it is ICCS graded.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Today, I sold the 1858 one cent F-12 Upset Dies coin to my LCS. He gave me 75% of the Trends value in pre-1966 silver Canadian 50 cent coins (at my request).
The LCS owner had taken it in person one time to a Torex auction with a view to selling it for more than C$2000 but he was unable to find a buyer.

It's gone.

So Camerinvs, the hieroglyphics at the bottom of your message are about stamps being worth more than...
Just asking, as I recently purchased a USA stamp album, organised by Scott #, starting at #2 up to about # 1400.
There's a whole page of all the Columbians issued, plus a lot of the early valuable stamps.

Any interest? My interest is mainly coinage, so not willing to put in the years to gain stamp knowledge.
Robert
Hi Wealth101,

I suppose "LCS" = local coin store? If you got 75% of its estimate from a coin dealer, that's pretty good.

So, you read hieroglyphics! :D What I did was just to find as many monetary symbols as possible; there's a Wikipedia page with the whole list.

As for stamps, I'm mostly interested in early Canadian issues, though I also keep whatever I receive in the mail. In Canada we got stamps before we got our own coins (though we had tokens earlier, of course). We got pence stamps from 1851, seven years before the Province of Canada issued its first coins.

It looks like your collection of US stamps is pretty valuable!
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Yes, the US stamps are pretty valuable, US$144K at least, by catalogue value prices. However, from a couple of stamp shops I've been to, they say the price is maybe 5% to 10% of the catalogue value. And they only want the rarer, higher value ones to sell on consignment (at 25% commission).

There's still a profit in it for me, but nothing like I thought.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 07:54.