Menu

Did you get your Big Mac coin(s) on Thursday?

» Quick access to the last post

halfdisme
McDonalds did a promotion for the 50th anniversary of their Big Mac sandwich. If you bought a Big Mac, you got a brass "coin" (token) that is good for a free Big Mac until the end of 2018.

There are five different designs, and NGC has already announced that they will slab them.
Essor Prof
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic72242.html
Mr. Midnight
no.
there are times when a hornet's opinion disturbs us more than an emperor's.
luca biondi
Quote: "Mr. Midnight"​no.
:°
yvon
I am curious to know why a lot of people here are so obsesed with this McDonald promotion thing?
...you can run,  but you can't hide...
WHATEVERR
no, i don't collect tokens or eat mcdonalds. whats the point, they are actually selling for £10-30 on ebay, ridiculous.
halfdisme
Quote: "yvon"​I am curious to know why a lot of people here are so obsesed with this McDonald promotion thing?
​Big Mac sandwiches are very popular. My wife likes them.

Other people collect all kinds of advertising numismatic items, and some people collect all the different McDonalds giveaways.

One guy bought 5 Big Macs; he asked for one of each of the 5 coins, and said the employees could have the food. They made sure he got 5 different coins.
yvon
Quote: "halfdisme"
Quote: "yvon"​I am curious to know why a lot of people here are so obsesed with this McDonald promotion thing?
​​Big Mac sandwiches are very popular. My wife likes them.

​Other people collect all kinds of advertising numismatic items, and some people collect all the different McDonalds giveaways.

​One guy bought 5 Big Macs; he asked for one of each of the 5 coins, and said the employees could have the food. They made sure he got 5 different coins.
​It is actually pleasant to see that different people are happy with different things.
CassTaylor
​Me as well.... IMO it's just an advertising gimmick, even if one of the world's most famous sandwiches (quality aside) is turning 50 years old.

Has there been a Numista page created for the token yet?
Une Franglaise; ♪ je brosse ma chevelure ♫
WHATEVERR
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces145698.html

There is this one, its under brazil for some reason :))
Idolenz
Probably because it was recieved in Brasil, you get them all over the world.
So get them in Venezuela and use them in Switzerland :wiz:

BramVB
Quote: "Idolenz"​Probably because it was recieved in Brasil, you get them all over the world.
​So get them in Venezuela and use them in Switzerland :wiz:
​Kind of the first universal coinage then ;)
We need a new issuer under tokens ... worldwide ...
Just call me Bram
Back in Belgium, with lost of coins to swap ... but with high postal costs :(
AmerSalmeh Numista team
Quote: "WHATEVERR"https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces145698.html

​There is this one, its under brazil for some reason :))
​moved under US
thank you
Catalog Master Referee & Referee for most Arab countries
https://www.instagram.com/amer.coins
Amer Salmeh
CassTaylor
Quote: "AmerSalmeh"
Quote: "WHATEVERR"https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces145698.html
​​
​​There is this one, its under brazil for some reason :))
​​moved under US
​thank you
​Had a mini heart attack when I thought you meant that you'd moved it under the issuer United States. :D
AmerSalmeh Numista team
hahaha
well you can still use it to redeem a big mac until the end of the year, so it's money :P
Amer Salmeh
derf
Quote: "AmerSalmeh"​hahaha
​well you can still use it to redeem a big mac until the end of the year, so it's money :P
​It's not money, it's a merchandise token ...
? Format  Format  Format ?   ?
Do not argue with ignorant people .. !! They will drag you down to their level, then pulverize you with experience ...
AmerSalmeh Numista team
Quote: "derf"
Quote: "AmerSalmeh"​hahaha
​​well you can still use it to redeem a big mac until the end of the year, so it's money :P
​​It's not money, it's a merchandise token ...
​that was a joke! :)
it's under tokens obviously
Amer Salmeh
JRo69
I have 4 of the 5 and my friend has the other for me. I have an extra one to swap if anyone wants or needs it.
I collected them all because I grew up eating Big Macs. It's harmless fun.
halfdisme
It seems that there was a bit of confusion with the distribution of the Big Mac coins. At one McDonalds, I was told that they only had one design--the other designs would be sent after they exhausted the one they had.

Today, I talked to a Big Mac fanatic, and he only got one coin, because he was told the same thing.

Our results: six coins (from three different locations)--four different designs.
ken6528
My McDonalds got 1 box of coins. They all have “50” on them on one side (that is the confusion). The box was an assortment of coins with different dates. Most of the packages had the coins upside down so you couldn’t see the date. You could move the coin in the package to see the date.

When they redeem the coin for a free mac they have to be out of the package. They have to return the coin to corporate office to get credit for it.
Numista referee for British Antarctic Territory, British Indian Ocean Territory, United States, Fiji, Cook Islands, Philippines, Vanuatu
sarikanair
On my my! This is crazy, I got to know about these Mac D tokens and never thought people would take them seriously... I wished people took as much interest in historical coins...
yvon
Quote: "sarikanair"​On my my! This is crazy, I got to know about these Mac D tokens and never thought people would take them seriously... I wished people took as much interest in historical coins...
​Dear sarikanair, you speak my language!
halfdisme
Quote: "yvon"
Quote: "sarikanair"​On my my! This is crazy, I got to know about these Mac D tokens and never thought people would take them seriously... I wished people took as much interest in historical coins...
​​Dear sarikanair, you speak my language!
​To each, their own. It cannot be any worse than those who collect "Essais" that have about as much legality as most of the coins from Liberia.
CassTaylor

​​​Dear sarikanair, you speak my language!
​​To each, their own. It cannot be any worse than those who collect "Essais" that have about as much legality as most of the coins from Liberia.
​Heartily agreed!
That being said, from a personal POV I am as baffled as the other two about this Big Mac token craze. B.
halfdisme
Quote: "CassTaylor"

​​

​​​​Dear sarikanair, you speak my language!
​​​To each, their own. It cannot be any worse than those who collect "Essais" that have about as much legality as most of the coins from Liberia.
​​Heartily agreed!
​That being said, from a personal POV I am as baffled as the other two about this Big Mac token craze. B.
​I think you have to be a lover of Big Macs to really appreciate it. (Actually, I am not. My wife is.)
You know collecting is primarily the "thrill of the hunt", and you only had one day to get them from the source. I think that it was a smart promotion.

This will pass...once the tokens are worthless on January 1.
LargoRich
There are five different designs, and NGC has already announced that they will slab them.

There will be different versions of "with fries" (sort of like first pressing) and "without fries" which will render them less valuable. ;) Anything for a buck! In my opinion slabbing coins is for investors as opposed to collectors. I go to a bourse looking for coins to add to my collection and find table after table of Gold slabbed coins maybe 50 to a table along with a guard. So disappointing. Not a coin show but a seminar on investing. Give me a table with 50 or so red boxes containing hundreds of 2 X 2s in Alpha order just waiting to be mine for a reasonable price. However, I have bought coins which are slabbed and then tried to figure out how to get to the coin without maiming myself!
neilithicman
Quote: "WHATEVERR"​no, i don't collect tokens or eat mcdonalds. whats the point, they are actually selling for £10-30 on ebay, ridiculous.
​Memorabilia. McDonalds stuff is pretty popular to collect, especially the happy meal toys. Have you seen what prices the early toys sell for?
What? Me Worry
halfdisme
Quote: "LargoRich"​ Give me a table with 50 or so red boxes containing hundreds of 2 X 2s in Alpha order just waiting to be mine for a reasonable price.
​It is much more fun to go through loose coins that the owner has not attempted to attribute.

Personally, I hate to go through boxes of coins in manilla envelopes. It takes far too long to open each--I do not rely on the written attributions on the envelopes!
sarikanair
Quote: "CassTaylor"

​​

​​​​Dear sarikanair, you speak my language!
​​​To each, their own. It cannot be any worse than those who collect "Essais" that have about as much legality as most of the coins from Liberia.
​​Heartily agreed!
​That being said, from a personal POV I am as baffled as the other two about this Big Mac token craze. B.
​Glad to know that you agree with me.. there is a need to promote numismatics among youngsters, let’s hope for the best!
CassTaylor
Well, you never know if maybe those Big Mac coins have already started a young numismatist or two on their way to collecting. ;)
Bavariat
Saw these coins today in Austria (Innsbruck). There are big advertisement billboards in the streets offering one of 5 different BigMac coins for every BigMac Meal purchased. Did not go there, though.
I have not seen anything like this here in Germany nor in the other countries I have been to during the past weeks ( Czech, France, Switzerland, Liechtenstein - yes they have also a McD there although I believe it is actually Swiss -, Italy, Slovakia, Hungary)...
in the end everything will be good - if it's not good, then it's not the end...
halfdisme
I once heard a speech by a man involved in launching McDonald's in Russia.

One of the hardest things to do, was to get the employees to be nice to the customers (Why do I have to be nice? I have something to sell that they want to buy.)

They also had to put a limit of 10 on the purchase of Big Macs, to keep them from all going to the black market.

Startup took over two years, to set up the supply system for the meals. They had to select farms, then teach them how to increase their production to produce enough. Then, like the lettuce farm, they had to teach the farmers and locals not to devour the harvest, so they had the produce for the store!
yvon
Quote: "halfdisme"​I once heard a speech by a man involved in launching McDonald's in Russia.

​One of the hardest things to do, was to get the employees to be nice to the customers (Why do I have to be nice? I have something to sell that they want to buy.)

​They also had to put a limit of 10 on the purchase of Big Macs, to keep them from all going to the black market.

​Startup took over two years, to set up the supply system for the meals. They had to select farms, then teach them how to increase their production to produce enough. Then, like the lettuce farm, they had to teach the farmers and locals not to devour the harvest, so they had the produce for the store!
​...a lot of effort and still such a useless product...
David52
I've got all five. Even got a couple extra for swap if anyone is interested. My family back in the states knows I collect coins and got them for me. You're right, Germany doesn't have them. I don't normally collect tokens but they look nice and I kept them in the package. Maybe someday they will be worth something, well at least a Big Mac until the end of the year.
Have you seen them on eBay? They want $10 or more for them. That's more than a Big Mac.
American collector living the life in Germany
Terry Mitchner
McDee Collectors

Any of you also have these . . .

I would put the Big Mac tokens in my collection, but I do not go to Macdonald's
Meandering to the Beat of a Different Drummer.

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 05:21PM.