Photobox ?

10 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hello
Has anyone the same experiences or ideas?
I do not like pictures from my microscope,, platinum,,

That's how I made it, from an old paper box-,,photobox,,I stuck the inside with A4 paper. At the top of the box I stuck an old lamp. Through the macro function, from photo apparatus the Nikon 330.

First results:

It was already on the forum, in the past.
This quality is already sufficient?
Ivan
I have something very similar, with only mediocre results. My daughter has become quite the photographer (using my 35mm I purchased for coin photos). One tip which has been successful............

Make the back and bottom surfaces of your "tent" black. This helps reduce unwanted reflection into the camera lens. Also, you may try tin foil (good for chicken wings too) on the camera side, with a hole cut for the lens thus reflecting light towards your coin.

After many hours with my daughter, photography truly is an art form. I still have to use GIMP for editing and I will probably have to get a macro lens for the camera.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
Quote: "Peter M. Graham"​I have something very similar, with only mediocre results. My daughter has become quite the photographer (using my 35mm I purchased for coin photos). One tip which has been successful............

​Make the back and bottom surfaces of your "tent" black. This helps reduce unwanted reflection into the camera lens. Also, you may try tin foil (good for chicken wings too) on the camera side, with a hole cut for the lens thus reflecting light towards your coin.

​After many hours with my daughter, photography truly is an art form. I still have to use GIMP for editing and I will probably have to get a macro lens for the camera.
​Thanks for your answer and advice, I try a black background, and also use aluminum foil.
Thanks Ivan
Background for a silver coin---black
Background for a brown or copper coin --white
Background for a brass coin -- depends on how dark the colour of the brass is ???
​Background for a gold coin --grey-white or ???

Please add your thoughts
Cheers Don
Quote: "fourmack"
​I've used black for gold coins on multiple occasions, and it turned out smashingly:

I'd argue the white background rule also works well for coins in metals like zinc or brass, and black for white metals (steel, aluminium, copper-nickel, iron). Depends more on how darkened a few of those are. I personally use my black leather pocketbook as a background, works out fine most of the time and I can carry it about with me.
Quote: "fourmack"​Background for a silver coin---black
​Background for a brown or copper coin --white
​Background for a brass coin -- depends on how dark the colour of the brass is ???
​​Background for a gold coin --grey-white or ???

​Please add your thoughts
​ I dont understand why, but the best background for medieval ( hammered) coins is a hand :)
I prefer black also. Try replacing the white with black felt you can get at a craft store.

I prefer the coin to be laying flat and the camera pointed straight down at it. This makes the coin a perfect circle in the picture. Notice your pictures are slightly oval. This means some parts of the coin will be in focus while others aren't.

I like to have the light a little above and beside the camera lens. This way the only light going into the lens will be from the coin, not the light itself or the background.
Have a look at this article.
https://mnesiccoins.gitlab.io/    https://www.instagram.com/mnesiccoins/
Quote: "MihajloNesic"​Have a look at this article.
​Thanks for this. Excellent.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
Quote: "MihajloNesic"​Have a look at this article.
​Hi
Thanks for this source of information.
Ivan

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 00:19.