Why take photos of coins

23 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I always see questions on here about the best ways to take pictures or scan images of coins or make photo boxes. :D

I understand why you would add or update the photos on places like numista, but apart from that, why else would you need to. Maybe I am just really missing something here?

I have no problem with it. I am just curious as to why so many people do it. ;)
To me, the most important thing is to do better swaps.

You never know for sure if the grade of a coin is exactly you expect.
Lets adopt the KISS philosophy, "Keep It Simple Sucker"
I understand where you are coming from. However in my swap experience I just selected the coins that were wanted and took a photos of them all together obverse and reverse and offered to take pictures of individual coins if the recipient wanted them.

That way I don't have to search through a thousand photos. x.
If my swap partner requests photographs of all or some of the coins he/she has chosen, I am more than happy to oblige.
I think it is better to allow my swap partner to see and except/reject coins due to conditions that they might not be happy with.
This also avoids unnecessary hassle when coins are received by swap partner.
It only takes a few minutes, and I think it's worth every second.
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
I'm not swapping yet and I don't sell online either, but I've been photographing (and re-photographing) many of my coins, as my camera skills improve.

It's just kinda fun, not to mention handy to have a database of photographs of your collection on hand for displaying and posting. And indeed, for some of my better pictures I post them just to admire my own work. :love:
Quote: "XRY-478"​I always see questions on here about the best ways to take pictures or scan images of coins or make photo boxes. :D

​I understand why you would add or update the photos on places like numista, but apart from that, why else would you need to. Maybe I am just really missing something here?

​I have no problem with it. I am just curious as to why so many people do it. ;)
​Hi, If your advertising your coins to sell or display you want the best pictures possible, there are a lot of blurred images on ebay and the likes that instantly put you off buying, poor images must have lost a lot of people money over the years, a decent image is top priority , just use a scanner on high definition setting and you can't go far wrong,
it still surprises me how often people upload images that look like they have been taken on a foggy night on a windswept moor, is it really that difficult? :° .
people talking without speaking, people hearing without listening
I photograph them for my own reference.
In the first place being over 60years, my eye sight is not so good, with even 3x reading glasses I cannot really examine a 19mm coin too well. with gigapixel photos I can 'take a walk' on a 19mm coin for hours.

In the second place, most of my coins go in to flips, which go into boxes, which go into cabinets, many go in to a locked safe on another property. so I cannot casually access them - whereas my picture folder is even now open on my desktop.
I can flick through my photos without jeopardizing my coins, in case I might want to compare another coin that is maybe for sale, or maybe there is a variant I just heard about.

Lastly, there are the many threads on here, where we go through the counties, one by one, or the years, one by one, or what did you just buy, that you are excited about, and we toss in a photo - I like to participate in those, and see what others are interested in , all displayed in context, sort of a collective collection.

edit to add: please everyone on numista, do not be shy to just post pictures of your coin collection. I am very happy to see what people find interesting, what research they might be pursuing. show me something I never saw before, something I probobly wont ever buy for myself, or give me ideas about what i might like to find for myself next.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Quote: "Mr. Midnight"​Lastly, there are the many threads on here, where we go through the counties, one by one, or the years, one by one, or what did you just buy, that you are excited about, and we toss in a photo - I like to participate in those, and see what others are interested in , all displayed in context, sort of a collective collection.

​edit to add: please everyone on numista, do not be shy to just post pictures of your coin collection.
​Absolutely this, I could not have put it better myself. It truly baffles me that we've actually had people with a stick up their arse before, who somehow manage to have a gripe against the community threads where we post pictures of our coins.

Everyone else is enjoying sharing, viewing, and learning about each other's collections, why can't they? If you've a problem, just don't participate and keep your gob shut, right? It's a bloody numismatic forum, I think it's not that unreasonable to expect a few threads about people showcasing their nicer coins here and there. 8)
There's another reason to take photos of coins: to help identifying them.

90% of my coins photos were taken to be posted in the identification forum where I ask for help about their ID.
yes, I never miss a "what is this?" thread.
Sometimes I can help, but usually i learn something new myself!
Hello
I am one of those who want to improve photo in coinage. Yesterday's contribution: https://en.numista.com/forum/topic72379.html

Why?
You added one coin to the catalog:,,Catalogue contributions1 coins added, 1 years added, 3 coins edited, 0 years edited,,

Coins I add to,, NUMISTA,, -should be photographed in high quality, they can improve our catalog and are mainly a model for others.
Example: this token is perhaps the only one in the world https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces103320.html
And a better photo would be more useful.
We also show coin errors, and we are mainly the majority of the disabled collectibles and therefore we inform each other and we boast. We will show our colleagues great purchase, rarity ,etc.
This is the difference between the silver and gold investor in the form of coins and collector with passion.
I was inspired by a big fan and a collector: Profil -ALLRED1950 ( he gives beautiful pictures and passion for differences and changes )
Yes, there are many more reasons. I want to improve even in modest conditions.
With regards .
Ivan
Please don't get me wrong I really have no problems with people taking photos. I just couldn't understand why, although I think I do a little more now due to some of your replies.

I don't think I expressed my previous comment about swapping correctly. When I have had swap offers, I find the coins that the other person wants, put the coins of the same type next to each other, and take clear pictures of the obverse and reverse. This can mean I have to take several photos of the coins to get a clear shot. However I only have to take pictures of the relevant coins so my computer isn't using up stacks of space. Then I send those photos to the other swapper and ask if they would like photos of the individual coins.

I suppose for some people who have their coins in other houses, as I know a few members who do, it is easier to just view their coins on images then go there. Although for me this isn't a problem because I am homeschooled so I just walk into my room to see my coins.
For insurance purposes it's always good to have a visual log of your collection, if your collection is stolen you can give police pictures of your coins that they can circulate round dealers for people trying to offload a collection, or you can keep an eye on the online auctions. A couple of telltale scratches or toning spots can prove that a coin for sale is yours.
What? Me Worry
I also took photos, lot of photos. I have many old coins, some more valuable ones, so one reason is my insurance company. I also have many coins I have not managed to identify, photo is much easier to carry with you. Now I have 24 pieces of Finland 2 markkaa silver coins on my table. Target is to photo and measure those, because they are all counterfeit coins. I'm a member of our Numismatic Association and we also try to teach younger people to recognize counterfeit coins from genuine ones. I also measure the natural frequency of those coins, because that is like a finger print of a coin which helps to identify counterfeit coins.
I made photos also for multiple reasons.:

To update the catalog if photo is missing.
Here in the internet we buy what we see. When swap or sell ( if sell this is mandatory) im ready to make a photo of coins because i want to asure the other person that he will know exactly what he get and thanks to that we dont have any issues.
Sometimes is hard to Id the coin with your eyes thanks to photo you can see more details and ask for help others.
I also make photo to my blog where i describing history behind the coin but currently i moved from my blog to facebook and admin small group where share my coins with little coin background.

Cheers !
Damian
Former numista referee for Poland and half of african countries.
I invite you to my FB group about commemorative coins : https://www.facebook.com/groups/1635288620035921
I make images of coins for two reasons:
1. To send to KM since I'm a contributor
2. To document varieties.

I'm NOT keen on doing it for swaps, since in average it takes me 40 minutes to take out 20 coins. The images of each coins would mean another 20 minutes. In my swap list (only in excel format), since numista is no good for me (missing fields) I have the grades of each coin, which in my humble opinion is enough. When people send me their images, they are normally not of a good enough quality to distinguish anything, so I refrain on asking for images. Anyway, my doubles list also has to get new items....

Ole
Globetrotter
Coin varieties in French:
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com
:D I totally agree
QUOTE---I photograph them for my own reference.
In the first place being over 60years, my eye sight is not so good, with even 3x reading glasses I cannot really examine a 19mm coin too well. with gigapixel photos I can 'take a walk' on a 19mm coin for hours.

In the second place, most of my coins go in to flips, which go into boxes, which go into cabinets, many go in to a locked safe on another property. so I cannot casually access them - whereas my picture folder is even now open on my desktop.
I can flick through my photos without jeopardizing my coins, in case I might want to compare another coin that is maybe for sale, or maybe there is a variant I just heard about.

Lastly, there are the many threads on here, where we go through the counties, one by one, or the years, one by one, or what did you just buy, that you are excited about, and we toss in a photo - I like to participate in those, and see what others are interested in , all displayed in context, sort of a collective collection.

edit to add: please everyone on numista, do not be shy to just post pictures of your coin collection. I am very happy to see what people find interesting, what research they might be pursuing. show me something I never saw before, something I probobly wont ever buy for myself, or give me ideas about what i might like to find for myself next.
plus I can do a show and tell on my computer at my coin club
Cheers Don
Coins, in most cases, are like mini works of art, I enjoy seeing photos of coins that I don't have.

The more photos the better :)
Quote: "fourmack"

That is a beautiful Nova Scotia cent !!!
Quote: "oggy"
Quote: "fourmack"​​
​​
​That is a beautiful Nova Scotia cent !!!
​+1
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
Quote: "oggy"
Quote: "fourmack"​​
​​
​That is a beautiful Nova Scotia cent !!!
​Also, a superb photograph.
Why Thank you
and heres its partner
Cheers Don
We take photos (or more correctly, my wife does), primarily for these reasons:
1. To get help in identifying an item.
2. To support our eBay listings.
3. To be able to share photos in coin club talks, without lugging all the coins.
4. To include enlargements in exhibits, along with the coins, to help the viewers see them.
5. To document a specific coin, if there is a complaint from a Buyer, or a lost shipment.

Krause Publications has used many of our photos over the years, which is why we were listed on the Acknowledged Contributors page of several editions of the Standard Catalog.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 07:35.