Iran - Rial SH1361 overdate?

15 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hi,
I would like to get your opinions about this coin.
The final one of the year seems to have been cut over a zero. At first I thought it was a nine.
Quite uncommon for a modern coin.

Ma collection de Révolutionnaires - My coins from the French Revolution
There is also a "chip" on the numeral "2" (correction: "6"), and then the wreath is full of "blurry" areas, especially on the right towards the top. Even the dots of the "i" in "riyal" are weird. The wreath in the lower part on both sides shows signs of a double strike.

To me, therefore, it looks like a combination of... wait for it... a double and weak strike with an overused die! 8~
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Quote: "Camerinvs"​There is also a "chip" on the numeral "2", and then the wreath is full of "blurry" areas, especially on the right towards the top. Even the dots of the "i" in "riyal" are weird. The wreath in the lower part on both sides shows signs of a double strike.

​To me, therefore, it looks like a combination of... wait for it... a double and weak strike with an overused die! 8~
​I agree, looks like it.
(except for the numeral 2, looks more like a numeral 1 B))
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Quote: "PetrusAscanus"​​I agree, looks like it.
​(except for the numeral 2, looks more like a numeral 1 B))
​Oops! I meant the numeral ٦ = 6. I think I am a little dyslexic.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Hi,
Thank you for your comments.
I completely agree that this coin has been struck with an overused die.
But I don't think that this explains the large "chip" near the 1 which has the appearence of a zero. I did not manage to find a picture of a 1 Rial coin from 1360. This would have allowed to check and compare the size of the zero.
The other chip near the 6 could be due to the wear of the die or an "accident" during the production of the die.
Je crois que la forme est une coïncidence --ooops-- but here is a 20 rial dated 1360.

And I would think there are more by searching on Iranian websites.

For reference, this is the coin in the catalogue. It looks like the date 1360 does exist. But could that be a mistake? One would expect to find easily common coins in Google Images, but...
One member has it for swap... and not all years are equally common.
It would be a strong coincidence as shape and place match with a zero.
But it should look like the "۰" is somewhat under the "۱", not on top.
Charging again
History of 1361 on the date of 1360.
Very valuable and scarce
Of course it should be checked closely
Quote: "Navid"​Charging again
​History of 1361 on the date of 1360.
​Very valuable and scarce
​Of course it should be checked closely
​Thank you for your message Navid.
Do you have pictures of such a coin?
Do you have a picture of a normal 1360 year?
While trying to find a picture of a 1360 or a 1361/0 coin, I came across this site:
https://en.ucoin.net/table/?country=iran&period=193
They don't have to year 1160 either.
My coin was part of a complete set of uncirculated coins from 50 Dinars (1/2 Rial) to 50 Rials from 1158 until 1167.
Only the year 1160 was missing for the 1 Rial coin and there was this overdate coin.
So it seems to be really something special?
It looks like there's nothing online outside Iran. So, if Navid tells us what the Persian word for "overdate" is, and you add it to this Google search, perhaps you'll find something ... in Persian.

I still doubt it's an overdate, but of course it's worthy of further investigation. If you're right I'll be the first to say "Well done!"
Thank you Navid.
Your coin seems also to have a chip under the 6 like mine.
No . Additional sections in this coin are normalThey do not have a special feature in this coin
Of course, in your coin: the word dots <ی> appear to be specific

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 10:31.