Menu

Is this an error or post mint damage, on this Canadian 1 cent 1967

ALLRED1950
An image can say a lot. There is a rather large bump on birds breast.

Here are some close up on bump on the birds breast

Any thoughts? Thank you daryl
AT THIS TIME IAM NO LONGER SWAPPING. I need too put things in order. And take some time off. Thank you yours daryl
ALLRED1950
More close ups. There are rings around the bump. Like I have seen on tool steel when it breaks.

I am thinking maybe a die break. Or just a wear issue. Not sure.
AT THIS TIME IAM NO LONGER SWAPPING. I need too put things in order. And take some time off. Thank you yours daryl
CassTaylor
From what I know of errors, it doesn't look too irregular, like a cud or anything.... I'd go with PMD.
Une Franglaise; ♪ je brosse ma chevelure ♫
yvon
Maybe the poor animal was hit by something...So I guess PMD indeed.
...you can run,  but you can't hide...
arvin11
This is indeed a PDM,this coins has got a welding spark spot,the metal has mealted at that point ,anyone who has work with welding jobs can easily identify this.
coin collector.....
ALLRED1950
Iam not sure it is post mint damage. I know for sure it is not from welding. Being a welder and have my welding papers. For 20 years I think I could see that. But it is the same metal. I don't see how they could have done that much damage without doing more damage to the coin.
Sjoelund
Hi daryl,

I cannot imagine any die error leading to this kind of figure on your pour bird....

So I vote for a PMD as well.

Ole
Globetrotter
Coin variants in English:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
In French on Cobra's site (not the same)
http://monnaiesetvarietes.esy.es/
edduns
Daryl: I have a friend that makes jewlery and he has used a Spot Welder for some pieces.
Those who believe they can do something and those who believe they can't are both right.
- Henry Ford
Mr. Midnight
I think it is a miracle. 0:)
there are times when a hornet's opinion disturbs us more than an emperor's.
neilithicman
It could be that a chunk chipped off the die since it's the highest point of the coin. From the pics it doesn't look like the bump of metal has been added to the coin, it looks like part of the coin.
What? Me Worry
ALLRED1950
Iam still out there. For wielding there no heat sign or odd metal or metal separating. The waves look to me more of what I have seen on tool steel when it breaks. But never have I seen an error like this. At 70% PMD and 30% die something.
pnightingale
Try searching "planchet blister".
Non illegitimis carborundum est (don't let the bastards wear you down). Excellent advice for all coins.
Supreme Ruler and Dictator for Life of the 6th Avenue Coin, Stamp  & Rice Puller Club. President, Boss & Top Dawg for Hutt River.
neilithicman
It could be a number of these errors

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2016/08/unexpected-bumps-on-coins-surfaces-vary.all.html
What? Me Worry
ALLRED1950
Here what I mean about the waves. Here is a piece of tool steel that broke under a lot of pressure.

I have seen much better examples but this one I have on hand.
sarikanair
It doesn’t look like the error was caused when the coin was struck... Because if it was a die error then there would be other similar examples... most probably, it is a result of Post Mint Damage.
ALLRED1950
Iam thinking sarikanair is right . If it was an error there would be more information on it.

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 07:18AM.