Menu

Cuba: Mint errors?

11 posts
I came across these two cuban coins and was trying to determine if they are mint errors.

I found a forum post which seemed to suggest that its quite common to see mint errors with the 10c coin, but i couldnt find any examples when searching around

10c - Year looks like a double strike?

1 peso - Peso text looks thicker than it should be
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2604.html

I dont come across many cuban coins, so was curious.

Thanks
AJ
Very common. Almost all of these Cuban coins have some sort of error.
They certainly look poorly made. :snif:
probably, every one is slightly different...
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
wow, I don't come across many Cuban coins, the ones that I had seemed good, so sounds like the perfect ones are rarer and more valuable ;)

Thanks for the feedback, I hadn't realised Cuban coins mint errors were so common.
Hi

I'm from Cuba and I see these coins every day, and yes the error rate is huge. Sometimes it seems like hand made coins. LOL
I keep some coins with very remarkable error, like an almost entire flat face.
I can send some pictures to you if you want. The error are way more frequent in 5 and 10 cents coins. 25, 50 and 1 CUC coins are better but the error are pretty usual to be seen too.
It happens more in the Convertible Cuban Peso. The National Cuban Peso has some quality, even when the value of the currency is 25 less than CUC.

BR
Quote: "cabrera87"​Hi

​I'm from Cuba and I see these coins every day, and yes the error rate is huge. Sometimes it seems like hand made coins. LOL
​I keep some coins with very remarkable error, like an almost entire flat face.
​I can send some pictures to you if you want. The error are way more frequent in 5 and 10 cents coins. 25, 50 and 1 CUC coins are better but the error are pretty usual to be seen too.
​It happens more in the Convertible Cuban Peso. The National Cuban Peso has some quality, even when the value of the currency is 25 less than CUC.

​BR
​Hello, welcome to this forum! I would like to see any photos you would share.
Hi below some examples of 5cents CUC of different years.
Later i can post some pics of 10cents also.
BR

wow, it does look to be quite common, thanks for sharing pictures :)
Yes, you’re right.. Cuban coins have many mint errors.. The error rate is so high that it’s almost impossible to differentiate varieties.
hand made - yes. It is quite interesting, almost takes us back to the time of hammered coins, where each one is unique.
To now, I have only collected pre-revolutionary Cuban coins - that is to say, those minted in Philadelphia. But now - i know a shop where there is a big box of contemporary Cubans, and i might have to take another look.
See this one:

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 12:03AM.