Your use of Numista

27 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Greetings to you -

I would be interested in seeing how Numista is used by the +95,000 users.

I, myself, have attempted to add every coin that is in my collection to the data base. Do you do the same? Or is there another scheme that you used the data base for?

I have noticed a few users with zero coins in their collection, those members seem to use the site as a method to have the expertise of the combined users as their own personal coin "google." (and they are not usually disappointed) Or perhaps as a way to have their coin identified and maybe valued by the combined knowledge of the group. Not saying anything is wrong with that.

There are some users who have been on the site for a long period of time that have just a few thousand coins listed but seem to be a wealth of knowledge regarding coins. Indicating to me that their involvement in the hobby is more than just a few thousand coins.

Also, is there a way to determine the grand total number of entries into the total data base? It sure to be in the 100s of millions or maybe billions. (Even if our father gave us 400 million coins to start with.:O ) I'm sure that this last sentence will be deleted but I just couldn't help myself!
I am relatively new to the site, although I have been collecting since 1962.

Quite frankly, I have not taken the time to post all of my coins on the site. Some are not unpacked, are secured elsewhere, or do not have photos available to add them to the Numista catalog. Maintaining a 4,200 + line sales inventory on eBay takes up much of my time. (username elfreeman)

I have asked questions, and helped to answer others as needed. The Numista catalog has also been helpful in understanding some of the varieties for which the NGC price guide is vague/does not explain.

I enjoy the rapport.
Quote: "LargoRich"​There are some users who have been on the site for a long period of time that have just a few thousand coins listed but seem to be a wealth of knowledge regarding coins. Indicating to me that their involvement in the hobby is more than just a few thousand coins.
​I don't think looking at the amount of coins a user has listed necessarily correlates to their numismatic knowledge or even time period of collecting (especially when you can't view the coins in their collection!) I've seen users with tens of thousands of coins listed, but all of them are low-value modern types; conversely there are members with only a few dozen coins listed, but they're all top tier coins, and this isn't even taking into account the people who don't list their entire collection on Numista for various reasons (safety paranoia, couldn't be bothered, etc.) Also, "a few thousand" is still a lot of coins!

But back to your question, I use this site mainly for the community; showcasing our coins, or contributing to discussion, or participating in competitions is always fun, enjoyable, and educational, and I have met a few people with whom I have since become friends with outside our common numismatic interest. There's always going to be a few bad apples on any online forum, but even with that taken into account, I believe no other collectors' community on the internet matches this one quality-wise; not Colnect, not Cointalk, not even /r/coins. :° :O

I'm not sure about how many entries there are exactly in the database, but I'm sure it's a bigly tremendous amount. Maybe around 10 million (that's including all the members who aren't active any more; 100 million is far too much I believe, by any count).
Quote: "CassTaylor"
Quote: "LargoRich"​​There are some users who have been on the site for a long period of time that have just a few thousand coins listed but seem to be a wealth of knowledge regarding coins. Indicating to me that their involvement in the hobby is more than just a few thousand coins.
​​
​​I don't think looking at the amount of coins a user has listed necessarily correlates to their numismatic knowledge or even time period of collecting (especially when you can't view the coins in their collection!) I've seen users with tens of thousands of coins listed, but all of them are low-value modern types; conversely there are members with only a few dozen coins listed, but they're all top tier coins, and this isn't even taking into account the people who don't list their entire collection on Numista for various reasons (safety paranoia, couldn't be bothered, etc.) Also, "a few thousand" is still a lot of coins!

​But back to your question, I use this site mainly for the community; showcasing our coins, or contributing to discussion, or participating in competitions is always fun, enjoyable, and educational, and I have met a few people with whom I have since become friends with outside our common numismatic interest. There's always going to be a few bad apples on any online forum, but even with that taken into account, I believe no other collectors' community on the internet matches this one quality-wise; not Colnect, not Cointalk, not even /r/coins. :° :O

​I'm not sure about how many entries there are exactly in the database, but I'm sure it's a bigly tremendous amount. Maybe around 10 million (that's including all the members who aren't active any more; 100 million is far too much I believe, by any count).

​The r/coins discord server is pretty good, better than the subreddit.
The catalogue is what brought me to Numista. Lots of valuable info and photos. The advanced search function is superb.
I like this little forum also.
I keep my own inventory, no interest to copy it in to Numista.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Hello,

I started for the inventory. I find it very handy to keep track of what you have.
I started swapping but it gets too difficult now. Coins I want are not for swap.

After realizing that the catalogue was the heart of the system, I started adding and then became referee. Back then, 5 years ago, the gaps were so huge that it was not good enough. Now, with the search functions, you can ID very many coins, and the structure has improved a lot. The rest is for the id forum.

A great thing about Numista is that anyone can be an active member, proposing improvements particularly to the catalogue, so all can benefit of your findings and observations. We could list plenty of members who have done very positive inputs in many different directions.

Then for me forum comes 3rd position. It is generally pleasant and really useful. Some members spent huge amount of time to help identifications !
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
I found this site when I searched for a coin, I registered because I had questions and information to share about coins and wanted to add coins and stayed because of those reasons, to have a list of my coins, to talk about coins and to add coins, mainly the Finnish patterns and the 75 penniä 1863.
I used numista way before registering,for coin identification, best on the net, also listed over 3000 coins in my collection but still got more to list, all takes time.
this is the perfect place to keep track of what you have without having to physically look at your hoard of coins.
people talking without speaking, people hearing without listening
Quote: "Iainmac"​this is the perfect place to keep track of what you have without having to physically look at your hoard of coins.
​Definitely agreed, I remember keeping track of my coins before I started using Numista with a notebook, the old fashioned way. How primitive it all seems now! :O

@Arusak
Hmm, I might check that out. I just hope it doesn't have as many one-time visitors asking how much this coin they inherited from their grandfather is worth as the /r/coins subreddit does.... 8~
Quote: "CassTaylor"
Quote: "Iainmac"​​this is the perfect place to keep track of what you have without having to physically look at your hoard of coins.

​@Arusak
​Hmm, I might check that out. I just hope it doesn't have as many one-time visitors asking how much this coin they inherited from their grandfather is worth as the /r/coins subreddit does.... 8~
​There are some of those of course once every few days but most of the core people that stick around for a long time are fun to interact with and I find the discussion to be good most of the time. It's better than the subreddit for sure.
I love the community and I love the catalog!
I would swap more than I do, but I refuse to mix my actual collection (silvers and gold which I am not unwilling to trade) with a BUCKETFUL of pretty valuable coppers and other coins which I would like to trade, but won't if it involves messing up my Numista collection and mixing the two.
My little OCD moment of the day.
I collect anything: If it's Italian or Italian states i collect it even more!
I use Numista as a database for my coin collection and have added over 2,000 to the database.
The reason for this is simple. The Numista database knows every coin I do not have, so when I start the exchange process, I am able to instantly see those I need, from potential swap partners, or, if I am looking for a particular coin, I can see if anyone out there, has it for exchange.
This saves me hours of checking swap list against my collection. I know it took me a fair few months to add my collection of 15,000 coins, but I must have saved many times those hours, so, although it was an unbelievably hard work at the beginning, I now relish the rewards.
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
Hi,

for me numista is a way to show the variants I and others find, this is important for some collectors, but not for those collecting only type, which is their choice of collecting.

It's also a way to exchange coins, although I've given up to have my doubles (>15.000) in numista, since it's impossible to keep both my excel list and numista up to date. Since 95% of my trades are made outside numista, my choice was easy. Some numista members do still accept exchanges like in the old days with excel spread sheets. (Others refuse categorically!).

I do contribute to the numista data base by adding km#, since I'm a scwc contributor, I always have the newest catalogs. That activity is taking a lot of time!

Nearly all the coins in my collection (some 39.000) have all the measures needed for the numista catalog, so from time to time I enrich the catalog with my measurements.

The forums are OK, although many "askers" could have used google themselves to find the answers. I do reply on some subjects, if I find them interesting, but I'm not checking every day.

The site also has faults, which I try to get corrected, but that is a hard business, with very little results. The most important for me is to see, how often a message has been consulted, just to see the interest of the members.

A part from that I most certainly have other interests in life......

Ole
Globetrotter
Coin variants in English:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
In French on Cobra's site (not the same)
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com
Since I had a small collection, I uploaded it immediately. Back in the day, I was also more active around here doing swaps and stuff.

Sadly, now I don't have the time anymore (soon, though!), but I keep coming back and register every coin I purchase/receive. I, sometimes, look at pics of different coins from countries I'm interested in and if I like its design very much, I put it on my priority list.

I sometimes lurk the forums in search of meaningful knowledge :)
First time I used Numista for coin identification. Later, I realised that I can have an account here and make my collection list. It has actually good catalogue, except some antique middle-eastern coins missing sometimes. Love to add coins to catalogue sometimes also.
Quote: "LargoRich"​I have noticed a few users with zero coins in their collection, those members seem to use the site as a method to have the expertise of the combined users as their own personal coin "google." (and they are not usually disappointed) Or perhaps as a way to have their coin identified and maybe valued by the combined knowledge of the group. Not saying anything is wrong with that.
As many other user mentioned before the catalogue of coins is really impressive.
It has improved a lot over the years that my world coin catalogue is almost unnecessary.

However, I use Numista mainly for swapping. Have zero coins in my collection.
Saying that, I only have coins in my exchange list. All the coins that I own are marked 'I don't wish to get that coin' but never put the effort into it building up my collection on Numista.
I have my personal excel list with all my coins.
i just want to add that in coin identification we make in greek site when it comes to a non greek coin we also use numista(or krause or expirience)

i think this happens to all countries that have coin blogs etc...
I run the whole thing. :wiz:

Besides that, I searched for way to keep track of my collection at first. It was quite a ride since then.
Catalogue administrator, You can support my dream of becoming full time worker on Numista through Patreon if you wish: https://www.patreon.com/Jarcek
Quote: "Jarcek"​I run the whole thing. :wiz:

​Besides that, I searched for way to keep track of my collection at first. It was quite a ride since then.
Before having registered here 5 years ago, my collecting was slow and very spontaneous. Now my collection is growing exponentially because Numista is very helpful.

Joining Numista team is a side effect of spending too much time on the website :D
ROMAE AETERNAE
i use numista for coin recognition and to catalogue my collection, i am currently one third of the way through cataloguing
we do not own our coins, we are merely guardians of them for future generations.
Quote: "loruca"​I love the community and I love the catalog!
​I would swap more than I do, but I refuse to mix my actual collection (silvers and gold which I am not unwilling to trade) with a BUCKETFUL of pretty valuable coppers and other coins which I would like to trade, but won't if it involves messing up my Numista collection and mixing the two.
​My little OCD moment of the day.
​I can relate- often I can't decide if I actually want to swap a coin, or which coin I want to give up when I have duplicates, so my swap partners have to dig through my collection instead of a swap list.
Like many other users i started using Numista months before i became registered (i am only days old user) when my grandfather gave me his collection.

After that i started mine separately and so i had questions about some coins i was buying i finally decided to became a registered user to make them... then i realised that numista gives you an excel of your collection and that was Top for me (because of my profession, my own excel was becoming a nightmare).

Top Catalogue, Top Photos and till this day Nice users (that have helped me and even some refrees). Really enjoying learning a lot of things about coins and countrys (and english :°)
Se queres ca muller che queira, ten diñeiro na carteira
I mostly use it to catalogue my coins and find out information about them.

I am more a stamp person and flip many of my coins, but now as my life has got more comfortable, I am colecting and buying more than I sell. When I do sell, I will use Numista for information and quote precious metal value if I am selling silver or gold coins.

I very rarely participate in forums although this is increasing. Generally most of my coins are modern change, or a excess of sets from the 1960s to 1990s and only a few better silver and 1800s coins. I generally can't afford Gold, rare silver or pre 19th century material (I have a few late 18th century copper pieces). Most of my spare income goes into stamps.

I used to collect hard core back in the late 1990s, but had my collection stolen in 2001 and this put me off as I collected a lot of silver coins of the UK, NZ, Australia, Canada and the USA (Many Morgan dollars, voyageurs, 19th century halfcrowns etc). But now its coming back, 3 years ago I had no silver, now this says my silver coins all weigh over a pound in silver! I even bought and flipped a gold coin last year.

So its a growth cycle for me now, being in my early 40s and having money for once along with a well off partner and the time and energy to buy, means I may do what I did between ages 16 and 24 - spend money on nice coins. I just copped a Russian set with a silver rouble and are thinking of adding some Dengas and Kopecks from the time of Peter the Great to it.

Keeping my collection up to date is hard work, as I add coins as soon as I buy them and often find coins in a country which I sold ages ago (I sold about 1,000 duplicate common coins in December and probably half still sit on my collection page).

I love Numista and think it is a great site, long may it continue and thanks to all the creators and staff along with contributors who do all the hard work and make it great for all of us!
Love silver coins of the UK, NZ and Commonwealth.
I collect piece by piece and do the best I can.
Autism positive
I don't do swaps or trades sorry
Hello, my using Numista is very much best of all, when I find some coin on net, simply in few clicks I know if have or don't in my catalogue, saving time, and find some help to learn something new on forum, so I recomend to take your time and input your collection here.
I'm quite new to this site (this is my first post) and whilst I have been gathering my collection since I was a child I don't have any great depth in knowledge.

In logging all my coins here I have already learned a lot and I finally have a catalogue of sorts which means I can start swapping duplicates, try to get better quality coins in my collection and find an area to focus on.

I don't have the money to get any rare and expensive coins and I don't really want to. I am hoping I can have a good time following my hobby within my budget and having fun whilst learning. Each to their own X-D
Quote: "Ned Kelly"​I'm quite new to this site (this is my first post) and whilst I have been gathering my collection since I was a child I don't have any great depth in knowledge.

​In logging all my coins here I have already learned a lot and I finally have a catalogue of sorts which means I can start swapping duplicates, try to get better quality coins in my collection and find an area to focus on.

​I don't have the money to get any rare and expensive coins and I don't really want to. I am hoping I can have a good time following my hobby within my budget and having fun whilst learning. Each to their own X-D
I think that this is one of the best ways of using Numista and collecting coins in general as without that little bit of fun now and again with coins that suit your own taste (not just rare) it would be otherwise boring (although I could never say I find it that) ;). Personally I believe that the Numista format for cataloguing and displaying my collection far exceeds in aesthetic quality and accuracy than my many spreadsheets and the catalogue itself is an everchanging and user-friendly system that allows us (the member) to personalise the site. I do admit that there are many earlier coins that the catalogue still does not contain however extensive it is, but this is part of the fun that we as a community are being given this chance to create it for ourselves and others. It also serves quite handy if you are out at a coin fair for example and you wish to check coin mintages or composition. One of Numista's best features is the Forum which I have to agree is one of the best around in the numismatic community, of which I often use to exchange stories and numismatic knowledge with other users. Numista certainly saves the pain of multiple coin books for coin info from countries that I may only have several from and provides useful date reading tools etc. in the Numisdoc. These are some of the many ways I personally use Numista and hope in the future to utilise the swap system.
                                           Coin collector and Silver stacker
              'We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.'
                                                      Sir Winston Churchill
I don't keep my coins in Numista - it would take too long to add them all. I have been using Excel for years, and it works just fine :)

The catalogue is BRILLIANT, and I would be lost without it. I have just started posting in this forum, but I immediately got a good answer to my first question - so I'll be coming back often. I have a few coins that are missing from the catalogue and a few where mine are better examples - and if/when I have the time to properly photograph them, I will be submitting them as well.

On a side note, I have started using Power BI, however, to visualize my collection. Eventually, I'd like to wire it up to actually show pictures of the coins as well.

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 10:04AM.