Menu

1935 penny

Author Message
Mzloco
Joined: 8-Oct-2018
Posts: 2
Why do some of 1935 penny coins not have a crease in the cloak covering the wheel yet all other coins do including one's from different years....
CassTaylor
Joined: 30-May-2014
Posts: 5979
Welcome to Numista!

I assume you are talking about British pennies, in which case that "wheel" is a shield with the Union Jack.
Either way, I am not aware of any such variant; but perhaps if you could detail what you're talking about with photos, the rest of us could take a look.
Une Franglaise; ♪ je brosse ma chevelure ♫
Mzloco
Joined: 8-Oct-2018
Posts: 2
Note the cloak over the union jack wheel on my coin...


Iainmac
Joined: 25-Feb-2018
Posts: 217
Hello, I know the image of a seated Britannia is old, but she's not in a wheel chair, she's seated holding a shield , there is no wheel but a shield as Cass said,
the cloak over the shield (not wheel) looks like possible die error on your coin with part missing, but it's hard to tell,the cloak did change shape on later pennies I have noticed - 1934 to 1938


The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor, Is king o' men for a' that.
CassTaylor
Joined: 30-May-2014
Posts: 5979
Quote: "Iainmac"​Hello, I know the image of a seated Britannia is old, but she's not in a wheel chair, she's seated holding a shield , there is no wheel but a shield as Cass said,
​the cloak over the shield (not wheel) looks like possible die error on your coin with part missing, but it's hard to tell,the cloak did change shape on later pennies I have noticed - 1934 to 1938


Starting in 1937 a slightly modernised design was used for Britannia, as opposed to the more classic one that had been used on British bronze coinage since 1895; which explains the change in the cloak there. The new design would be used until decimalisation.

The same fold of Britannia's dress (not sure if it's a cloak to be honest!) as on the 1934 coin, is also seen on this 1902:
Une Franglaise; ♪ je brosse ma chevelure ♫
Iainmac
Joined: 25-Feb-2018
Posts: 217
Yes should have said dress, all this talk of wheels and cloaks was confusing me B. !.
The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor, Is king o' men for a' that.
radrick007
Joined: 7-Feb-2011
Posts: 2050
Quote: "Iainmac"​Hello, I know the image of a seated Britannia is old, but she's not in a wheel chair, she's seated holding a shield , there is no wheel but a shield as Cass said,
​the cloak over the shield (not wheel) looks like possible die error on your coin with part missing, but it's hard to tell,the cloak did change shape on later pennies I have noticed - 1934 to 1938


​Haha! Too funny! To be fair, she is getting on for 2,000 years old so it would understandable if the old girl needed a little mobility assistance! :O
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon

Catalogue referee for Celtic Britain, England & United Kingdom
CassTaylor
Joined: 30-May-2014
Posts: 5979
Quote: "Iainmac"​ Yes should have said dress, all this talk of wheels and cloaks was confusing me B. !.
​Well, at least there don't seem to be any lions hidden anywhere. :O
Une Franglaise; ♪ je brosse ma chevelure ♫
Iainmac
Joined: 25-Feb-2018
Posts: 217
Lions, wheels, cloaks and wheelchairs, should have gone to specsavers!, with a bit of imagination you can see whatever you want 8).
The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor, Is king o' men for a' that.
LargoRich
Joined: 18-Mar-2017
Posts: 32
Like an elephant that looks like a pig.
Sjoelund
Joined: 28-Mar-2012
Posts: 1992
Hi,

I like the wheel chair approach...

Aside from that the 1935 penny has so far no official variant appointed.

Ole
Globetrotter
Coin variants in English:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
In French on Cobra's site (not the same)
http://monnaiesetvarietes.esy.es/
ALLRED1950
Joined: 2-Jul-2012
Posts: 4028
Iam not sure, but there was a change in 1937. Were they moved the dress over the shield. 1937 they moved it to the hand. And 1936 down the dress over the shield was by the hip.

Actually there are a lot of changes in her dress from 1936 to 1937.
Just look at the differences in her dress from foot to shield

and her arm, hanging over, and mid section of the dress

So it safe to say in 1937 Britannia had a full redesign.
hope this helps
AT THIS TIME IAM NO LONGER SWAPPING. I need too put things in order. And take some time off. Thank you yours daryl
Sjoelund
Joined: 28-Mar-2012
Posts: 1992
Hi

Here is "everything" you need to know about George V pennies

http://declanmageecoins.co.uk/G5P.html

I have documented them all in my usual way and they are already in numista.

Ole
Globetrotter
Coin variants in English:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
In French on Cobra's site (not the same)
http://monnaiesetvarietes.esy.es/
ALLRED1950
Joined: 2-Jul-2012
Posts: 4028
Hi Ole, The 1937 designed Britannia is King George VI not King George V. Did not find much for the complete face lift on her in 1937.
She is completely different, Legs by the knees Her arms and hands. Even the waves under her are different. Her helmet, just everything is redesigned.
AT THIS TIME IAM NO LONGER SWAPPING. I need too put things in order. And take some time off. Thank you yours daryl
Iainmac
Joined: 25-Feb-2018
Posts: 217
Quote: "ALLRED1950"​ Hi Ole, The 1937 designed Britannia is King George VI not King George V. Did not find much for the complete face lift on her in 1937.
​She is completely different, Legs by the knees Her arms and hands. Even the waves under her are different. Her helmet, just everything is redesigned.
​Was looking at the Edward viii penny , proof only as he abdicated in 1936 ( year of the 3 Kings), but would have been the same as George VI penny.
take it these would have been redesigned in 1936 for release in 37
The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor, Is king o' men for a' that.
Sjoelund
Joined: 28-Mar-2012
Posts: 1992
Quote: "ALLRED1950"​ Hi Ole, The 1937 designed Britannia is King George VI not King George V. Did not find much for the complete face lift on her in 1937.
​She is completely different, Legs by the knees Her arms and hands. Even the waves under her are different. Her helmet, just everything is redesigned.
​Hi Daryl,

I know that, but the start of this thread was the 1935 one penny coin!

George VI pennies are here
http://declanmageecoins.co.uk/G6P.html

Take care
Ole
Globetrotter
Coin variants in English:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
In French on Cobra's site (not the same)
http://monnaiesetvarietes.esy.es/

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 06:54AM.