2 Pound Coins Gibraltar

17 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I am trying to collect coins specified in the app UK Coin Hunt . Most of them I am sure I will get at some point , but the Gibraltar £2 coins based on the labours of Hercules will either be far too rare or tremendously expensive to buy.

However, eBay have a number of cheap copies (clearly marked as such) do I get them ?? I have an original Kew Gardens 50p and don’t see much point in obtaining a copy to put in Album slot. If I apply this logic I should leave well alone and stop deluding myself.

I know for a fact that collectors on here will have a view .. so comments anyone ??

charles
I would say no, it's just encouraging the fakers to make more fakes, and will just end up putting people off coin collecting if it's awash with fake coins.
Can't be good can it?
A few months of overtime might pay for the original :°.
people talking without speaking, people hearing without listening
Quote: "iknw07554". If I apply this logic I should leave well alone and stop deluding myself.

​100% agreed with that.
I could buy modern Chinese fakes of all sorts of rare coins but that won't give me the best collection in the world, because they're still not real... to be honest I'm a bit uncomfortable even with restrikes. To my mind I'd rather have an empty slot than a fake in my collection.

@Lain
To be fair some replica coins are made in the open (with a stamp saying so) for collectors with a bit of OCD who can't stand the empty spot of a key date or low mintage issue in their collection (think 1933 penny).
Fair comment Cass, but a bit of clever marketing with the coin hunt albums leaves a situation where 1 coin costs more than all the others combined, kew gardens 50p is a classic example,it's a hollow victory to fill the last gap with a fake.
I just avoid the fake if possible and the coin hunt Albums.
I love the comment about OCD regarding empty spaces.... I reckon all coin collectors like myself have a bit of that in them.Ha

I think my instinct to leave alone .. is right.
Quote: "iknw07554"​I love the comment about OCD regarding empty spaces.... I reckon all coin collectors like myself have a bit of that in them.Ha

​I think my instinct to leave alone .. is right.

​Talk about OCD, me mate had the 50p coin hunt album with Kew 50p missing, he spent weeks running around offering ridiculous money for one, ended up with 11 kew garden 50p's at a cost of over £1000, good investment he keeps telling me,
i'm not so sure!

more money that sense i was thinking
I am sure coin collectors share personality quirks.. hoarding, ocd eccentricity to name but a few.

Some time ago there was a thread with letters including hidden names of coins.. it went viral with everyone having a go.

And yes I did write on it.

odd see I told you.
I would also not buy them.
This is mainly because is a few years time, you will look at this album of fakes and realise that this album, although contains 50 coins, do not actually look as nice at the 3 or 4 genuine coins you have sat next to them.
This album will then be placed in a dark cupboard and forgotten about.
Stick with true numismatics, and you will never regret it.
Here endeth the first lesson.
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
Amen
Quote: "iknw07554"​I love the comment about OCD regarding empty spaces.... I reckon all coin collectors like myself have a bit of that in them.Ha

​I think my instinct to leave alone .. is right.

:P

Probably date collectors have this characteristic much more than type collectors, although whenever I scroll down the Numista listings for a particular country (e.g. Italy or Spain) that I focus on type collecting from, I admit that I do get bugged by the occasional interruptions in the line of green ticks on the upper right. (;0
Perhaps it’s me but I have never quite understood the date collector, providing I have the country and type I’m happy but I do try and get the different Queen portraits..

I wonder if there is a collective Noun for coin collectors , like Parliament of Owls or flock of geese ,

How about a MINT of collectors, thoughts anyone
Quote: "iknw07554"​Perhaps it’s me but I have never quite understood the date collector, providing I have the country and type I’m happy but I do try and get the different Queen portraits..

​I wonder if there is a collective Noun for coin collectors , like Parliament of Owls or flock of geese ,

​How about a MINT of collectors, thoughts anyone
​Mint of collectors is good, i was thinking more of a Magpie of collectors, along the bird theme above

or maybe a Magpie of Money Hoarders
Yes like it magpie ..my fave so far
I know of one collector that cuts out a photo of a rare coin, in order not to have a blank spot in an album.

In my personal opinion, that is preferable to inserting a fake. Someone viewing your collection, when noting/being told that one is a fake, will begin to doubt the authenticity of all your better coins.

The 12 labors coins are truly scarce in the USA. I have sold three complete sets, and probably about a dozen of the Cretan Bull. The last one I sold was in January 2016.
Quote: "halfdisme"​I know of one collector that cuts out a photo of a rare coin, in order not to have a blank spot in an album.
​That sounds like a good compromise to me as well.
I had 2 of the labors about two months ago. Pity you haven´t mentioned it then. But yeah, each goes for €120 - €150.
I’m afraid my wife would never sanction this amount of money on one coin , and I agree not to use fakes ..So empty space it is then:(

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:57.