Searching for shops near Portland, Oregon, United States

4 posts
Hello everyone!

I'm helping a friend navigate a large stash that was owned by a family friend. We're trying to find a reputable shop in or around Portland or Oregon City, Oregon to get a consultation on what he has.

Does anyone out there have any recommendations?

Is there anything he should look for himself when he's sorting the pile? It's mostly old US coinage.

Thank you in advance!
In situations like this, I have found contacting local coin clubs a better choice than shops. Most of the time members will be more than happy to sort out what is in a collection that has been inherited ... Shops that deal in Numismatics, generally try to low ball what the can in order to try and make a good profit .. Least, that has been my experience ...
? Format  Format  Format ?   ?
Do not argue with ignorant people .. !! They will drag you down to their level, then pulverize you with experience ...
We did discuss that. I know that shops are more likely to give a low estimate for what they'd pay, but my thought was that they'd be able to quickly give him an idea of what he has there, and what he doesn't. He wouldn't have to sell in that moment, this is all just for a little clarity.

I hadn't really thought of checking the local clubs though, thank you! I'll suggest it to him. Would they normally charge a fee for that kind of thing?
Quote: "MonaSeaclaid"​I hadn't really thought of checking the local clubs though, thank you! I'll suggest it to him. Would they normally charge a fee for that kind of thing?
​The five or six times that I have done this with people at different clubs, they never charged. But it always a possibility, maybe depending on the amount of items in the collection ..
? Format  Format  Format ?   ?
Do not argue with ignorant people .. !! They will drag you down to their level, then pulverize you with experience ...

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 13:53.